Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone wind deflector from @tspud1

Options
So recently @Tspud1 posted a thread about looking for a Guinea pig for a new project.  That project was to test a new wind deflector idea for the Blackstone griddle. I have a lot of wind at my house most days (I'm kinda on top if a hill) so I had issues with the wind and my griddle. (This is the disclaimer, I was sent a free deflector for testing purposes, but that does not influence my opinion. The thing works pretty slick!)

@Tspud1 sent me two versions to test. The second one was the winner. I will post the pictures at the bottom. 

Now everyone knows that the griddle plate for the Blackstone sits above the cart, leaving a 1" or so gap. This is where the wind comes through and blows your precious BTU's away. I know I have had issues, and my griddle was normally 100-120 degrees cooler in anything above a small breeze. 

This deflector covers that gap, and looks quite good on there as well. 

The wind blocker hangs from the top of the griddle plate surround, and has a channel to be secure on top as well as corner hinges if you should want to store it. I also have the stainless cover from @Tspud1 and the deflector does not interfere with the cover fitment. 

With the deflector on, I now have a difference of only 30-50 degrees in the corners and the griddle gets much hotter. I temped 500+ in the middle at only 3/4 full on the flame setting! You can also no longer hear the whipping of the flames as the wind blows. A super strong wind might be an issue, but if it's that windy I'm not out using the griddle. 

So, does it help? Yes, the griddle gets much hotter and more even across the surface than before, and the wind has very little effect! 

If you all have any questions, or want any other pictures, please let me know. I think these may come available soon. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    That looks great!  I might be hitting @Tspud1 up for more bling.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great...I'm sure it would work equally well on the 22" portable model.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks great, would be nice to have.  I have his hard cover already and cook with it hanging off the back and have to turn the griddle so the lid blocks the wind.  Same issues though, easily 100F degree cooler if there is a nice breeze or wind, which I pretty much always have also.  Sucks when you want heat for blackening fish, smashburgers, or hashbrowns.  

A side note on the hard cover - I slowly used it at higher and higher temps to test it.  I use the griddle on high for extended times with the lid hanging off the back for several months now and the lid seems to handle it fine.  

Without some kind of wind block, my blackstone would be pretty useless.  The wind just takes too much of the heat away.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    Looks great, would be nice to have.  I have his hard cover already and cook with it hanging off the back and have to turn the griddle so the lid blocks the wind.  Same issues though, easily 100F degree cooler if there is a nice breeze or wind, which I pretty much always have also.  Sucks when you want heat for blackening fish, smashburgers, or hashbrowns.  

A side note on the hard cover - I slowly used it at higher and higher temps to test it.  I use the griddle on high for extended times with the lid hanging off the back for several months now and the lid seems to handle it fine.  

Without some kind of wind block, my blackstone would be pretty useless.  The wind just takes too much of the heat away.  
    You just never know how heat can move the metal. I made some Camp Chef FTG900 covers that are about 50" long. One warped almost immediately and none of the others have.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Nice solution! I use aluminum duct tape on mine to shield on windy days. It is definitely an issue without protection.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim