Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef back ribs cooking times?

Options
was going to make dr bbq championship ribs but with beef instead of pork. Last time i did these i smoked at 250 instead of 325 for 2 hours then foiled and cooked in the apple juice at 300 for another 2.  

Cooking times and temps still till the same?

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,655
    edited October 2018
    Options
    About 5 (+ -) hours at 275 unwrapped.  They are done when they probe with no resistance.

I don’t know Dr BBQ’s recipe, but I’m guessing it includes some sweet (honey, sugar, sweet rub, etc.). I remember way back when he posted on the old site, he was a big fan of turbinado sugar. IMO, skip anything sweet on beef ribs.

Good luck with the cook. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If thick beef ribs they’ll go 6ish hours. I wouldn’t wrap but that’s another topic. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gasman79
    Options
    About 5 (+ -) hours at 275 unwrapped.  They are done when they probe with no resistance.

I don’t know Dr BBQ’s recipe, but I’m guessing it includes some sweet (honey, sugar, sweet rub, etc.). IMO, skip anything sweet on beef ribs.

Good luck with the cook. 
    Rookie question - why nothing sweet with the beef?
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    gasman79 said:

I don’t know Dr BBQ’s recipe, but I’m guessing it includes some sweet (honey, sugar, sweet rub, etc.). IMO, skip anything sweet on beef ribs.

Good luck with the cook. 
    Rookie question - why nothing sweet with the beef?
    Just a personal preference - I think beef ribs should be savory, not sweet.  There aren’t any hard and fast rules here.  Let us know how they turn out. 
    Memphis, TN 

• gasman79
    Options
    They turned out great. I didn’t wrap though. Were great - 7 hours on the egg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,654
    Options
    @gasman - way to stay the course.  Those look great.  Enjoy as I know you will.  (Any rib cook-toothpick test for the win.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Outstanding!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Well done 👍 
    Memphis, TN 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I appears you cooked correctly. Those look perfect. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser