Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wetting the stone

2»

Comments

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317

Photo Egg

Thanks for idea. I'll look into that.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    DWFII said:
    DWFII said:
    You know, I had a lot of dark cornmeal/semolina on the stone and under the edge of the pizza on this last cook. I never thought about it causing darkening but it makes sense. 
    definitely ditch the cornmeal

Why? What's wrong with the cornmeal?
    Not saying you're wrong but we've been using it for years...I can remember the first pizza I ever ate (in a pizza parlor) --60 some years ago. that was the thing I remember most--the cornmeal on the bottom of the crust. 
    i dont have good luck with cornmeal and a pizza stone. i do use a little cornmeal with pan or tray pizzas,  years ago around me, just about everyplace made pizza either with a tray or a pan. i still make that type of pizza and use cornmeal for that.  all you really need is flour worked into the peel and to work quick enough that it doesnt stick to the peel. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    oh and @DWFII ,  pizza is hard to give advice on for cooking, we all have different tastes and visions of the finished product.  thats why theres so many different styles out there and they are all cooked differently.
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    edited October 2018
    matter of fact, I omitted cornmeal/flour last couple of cooks, like @fishlessman
    said, work quick, wooden peel also better than metal for launching. Jerk the pie just before launching, if it still sticks try the hovercraft trick.
    canuckland
  • DWFII
    Hovercraft trick?
    Instagram
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    lift a corner, blow under so it floats momentarily like a hovercraft  =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    DWFII said:
    Hovercraft trick?
    if the pies not sticking you can keep it moving on the peel with quick short shakes, i do this when building the pie, lay out the dough shake it, add sauce, shake it, add toppings, keep it shaking until its tossed on the stone, it should look like its hovering on the peel before launching.  if you are slow at building pies, the parchment is a good trick.
    fukahwee maine

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    We use grill foil now. Works great and the pie still Browns on the bottom. No need to put anything on the stone like corn meal. Foil stays under the pie for the whole cook
  •  DWFII said:
    DWFII said:
    You know, I had a lot of dark cornmeal/semolina on the stone and under the edge of the pizza on this last cook. I never thought about it causing darkening but it makes sense. 

Not saying you're wrong but we've been using it for years...I can remember the first pizza I ever ate (in a pizza parlor) --60 some years ago. that was the thing I remember most--the cornmeal on the bottom of the crust. 

So are you saying he is wrong? =) 
       Personally I have gone back to the oven, I had mixed results with pizza on the egg, 1 in 5 was great.  Plus while cooking pizzas I have cracked 2 fire boxes, one ring and a base.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    tjv said:
    parchment paper will put a barrier between your dough and stone.  you can drop your temps into the 400 to 450 dome range to prevent burning on dough. 

t
    The parchment paper will help keep the dark sooty film that rest on a stone off your pizza.  

If you worry about burned crust, then just drop the temps.  Most folks have trouble maintaining pizza stone temps. They get the stone too hot and burn the dough before the rest of pizza is done, especially on multi-pizza cooks.

One way to fix burning is cook at more moderate temps.  It will take longer but you should have better control on the dough. There is a reason why most frozen pizzas found in the freezer case at the grocery store are in the 425ish oven temp range.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018

Personally I have gone back to the oven, I had mixed results with pizza on the egg, 1 in 5 was great.  Plus while cooking pizzas I have cracked 2 fire boxes, one ring and a base.

Maybe...but the difference is that just before that admittedly throw-away comment, I asked "What's wrong with cornmeal?" ASKED...as in seeking information or correction.
    And not to put too fine a point on it, in my exchange with Photo Egg, I said 'I don't know whether you're being a "smart *ss" or not (not sure it would bother me if you were) but....'
    I'm not against throw-away remarks--they are lead-ins, reassurances, prefaces, tension breakers, etc..
    I was just commenting on a comment. Somewhat tongue-in-cheek. And even in the following discussion, I didn't accuse or even accept Photo Egg's self-characterization.
    I suppose you could say that my answer to Photo Egg was itself a throw-away--tension-breaker,reassurance, etc..

Instagram
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018
    And before this gets too far in the weeds, let me thank all of you for the constructive and helpful advice and perspectives....I got some good ideas to experiment with.
    Instagram
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
     DWFII said:
    DWFII said:

Similar experience here. Have been experimenting with pizza in the oven these past few weeks, and have been very pleased with the results. Last high temp cook cracked the firebox and the ring. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    Woodchunk said:
    We use grill foil now. Works great and the pie still Browns on the bottom. No need to put anything on the stone like corn meal. Foil stays under the pie for the whole cook
    Cornmeal doesn't go on the stone. It goes on the peel to keep the pie from sticking when you launch it onto the stone. If you put it on the stone, it doesn't do anything... except burn. A pizza won't stick to a hot stone anyway. I just use a little flour on the peel these days. Works well.

Had to look up grill foil as I'd never heard of it. I don't like anything between pizza and stone. Tried parchment a few times, but didn't care for the result. Would never have thought of using foil for pizza.

As for all you guys doing pizza in the oven, you should be ashamed of yourselves! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Woodchunk said:
    Cornmeal doesn't go on the stone. It goes on the peel to keep the pie from sticking when you launch it onto the stone. If you put it on the stone, it doesn't do anything... except burn. A pizza won't stick to a hot stone anyway. I just use a little flour on the peel these days. Works well.

Had to look up grill foil as I'd never heard of it. I don't like anything between pizza and stone. Tried parchment a few times, but didn't care for the result. Would never have thought of using foil for pizza.

As for all you guys doing pizza in the oven, you should be ashamed of yourselves! :rofl:

Pretty much it goes on the stone every time you slide the pie off the peel, and there it can burn. We make the pie on the foil and just slide it off the peel. Works great for us and keeps the stone clean
  • DWFII
     If you put it on the stone, it doesn't do anything... except burn. A pizza won't stick to a hot stone anyway. I just use a little flour on the peel these days. Works well.

Doesn't the flour get on the stone and burn just like the cornmeal does?

Yeah that's the main reason I wanted a BGE in the first place. The wife does do pizza in the oven. But she doesn't like the way the kitchen heats up esp. in the summer months. Can you imagine going without pizza all summer?  :o

BYW and OT, try some Nduja on your next pizza...really a tasty, interesting topping.
    Instagram
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Woodchunk said:

Unless it’s a pizza oven, in which case carry on ;)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    DWFII said:
     If you put it on the stone, it doesn't do anything... except burn. A pizza won't stick to a hot stone anyway. I just use a little flour on the peel these days. Works well.

Doesn't the flour get on the stone and burn just like the cornmeal does?

Yeah that's the main reason I wanted a BGE in the first place. The wife does do pizza in the oven. But she doesn't like the way the kitchen heats up esp. in the summer months. Can you imagine going without pizza all summer?  :o

BYW and OT, try some Nduja on your next pizza...really a tasty, interesting topping.
    Flour can burn just the same, sure. Just be careful not to use too much. 

I use a perforated metal peel (from GI Metals) and - if you give a pizza a good shake before putting it in the oven / on the stone - I’ve found it to effectively discard excess flour. 
  • i put my wife's favourite dish towel in a bowl of water, put on a pit mitt, dunk the cloth and rub it all over the stone.  then slide pizza on parchment paper onto the cooled stone in a very hot egg.

blame the dog for the dish towel 
  • NorthPilot06
    Enjoy that pizza, it may be your last meal ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Another option is a pizza screen.Similar results to parchement...but even easier to use and transfer.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2018
    I also have a few here who do not like their crust too dark or crunchy.  

What I do is have my normal setup: platesetter legs up, grill, two haft moon BGE extended racks, then pizza stone.  Heat egg to approx. 500 for a while, never check stone temp.

I cook their pizza on parchment paper and pizza pan, placed on the stone.  When the toppings are done, The pizza is placed directly on the stone until the correct doneness (sometimes this step is not needed)

The process for me and my wife is parchment paper for a few minutes, then stone.

I have cooked pizza in the house, but the taste is not the same at all ... Better on the Egg.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DWFII
    Crispy/crunchy is fine with me--I'm just not fond of the taste of carbonised crust. [shrug]
    Instagram
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    What about putting your stone in a little closer to launch time? 

No.  The stone needs time to soak up heat to be ready for cooking.  Most problems with crust cooking too fast compared to the toppings are solved by moving the stone higher into the dome so the toppings pick up more radiant heat (need to get the heat inputs in proper balance).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.