Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wetting the stone

I dislike charcoal on my pizza crust. I dislike even a little dark, dark brown. Medium brown is OK. I read somewhere here that some folks are wetting the pizza stone before sliding the pizza on it to prevent over darkening.

How is that done? Do you spritz the stone? Wipe it down with a wet towel?. Most important, does it help?
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    For WFO’s the hearth is sometimes mopped (wet towel, wrung out, on a stick) to cool it a bit before before launching the pie. 

Other options are to cook at a lower temp, or use 2 pizza stones, with an inch or so air gap.

Tipo 00 flour doesn’t seem to do well at temps under 600F, so you may have to modify your dough if cooking at lower temps. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    I have two stones in my current set-up--the platesetter (legs down) and my pizza stone about three inches above that. Running at about 550° dome, shooting for a stone temp of 450°-500°.

Any thoughts on wetting the stone when doing it like that?
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Thanks. I'll try that.
    Instagram
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2018
    parchment paper will put a barrier between your dough and stone.  you can drop your temps into the 400 to 450 dome range to prevent burning on dough. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DWFII
    tjv said:
    parchment paper will put a barrier between your dough and stone.  you can drop your temps into the 400 to 450 dome range to prevent burning on dough. 

What are you saying? Is that good or bad?
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Not being a smart *ss, but if you are happy cooking pizza at moderate temperatures just cook them in the oven. As long as you like the pizza, does it  really matter where it's cooked. Would sure make repeatable easy. Using a higher cooking rack will cook your toppings faster. Just find the temp and rack height that works for your crust and stick with it. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Wetting the stone! Wasn't that a line in Grumpy Old Men?
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018
    I don't know whether you're being a "smart *ss" or not (not sure it would bother me if you were )but neither do I see how your comment is relevant. It doesn't address my original question and if truth be known most people on this forum are cooking their pizza close to the way I am. How do I know that? I'm following the ideas I got here.
    And one other point...going by your logic, what difference does it make if you cook your butt in a oven? Or a crock pot? Or an offset. Isn't this forum about BGE cooking?
    For my own apparently nefarious reasons, all I'm trying to do is refine my pizza cooking on a BGE.
    Instagram
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    decaf.

Some folks wipe their pizza stone with a wet rag between pies.  Some use parchment.  Some use ovens instead.  All reasonable suggestions.  

Up to you to run a few experiments and see what works better than your current process, for you.
  • DWFII
    Legume said:
    decaf.

Some folks wipe their pizza stone with a wet rag between pies.  Some use parchment.  Some use ovens instead.  All reasonable suggestions.  

Up to you to run a few experiments and see what works better than your current process, for you.
    Well, one thought that occurred to me is that wiping the stone or spritzing the stone might make the crust a little more tender. I do like a crisp crust. 
    Doing the experiments is no problem...the whole process is one long experiment. I was just hoping to hear what other people have experienced, what to look out for, etc....until I got the chance to experiment, that is. 
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    DWFII said:
    I don't know whether you're being a "smart *ss" or not but neither do I see how your comment is relevant. It doesn't address my original question and if truth be known most people on this forum are cooking their pizza close to the way I am. How do I know that? I'm following the ideas I got here.
    And one other point...going by your logic, what difference does it make if you cook your butt in a oven? Or a crock pot? Or an offset. Isn't this forum about BGE cooking?
    For my own apparently nefarious reasons, all I'm trying to do is refine my pizza cooking on a BGE.
    You know I'm not being a smart *ss because I said I was not being a smart *ss.
    Cooking a pizza on the Egg imparts very little if any smoke flavor.
    My logic would NEVER suggest cooking a pork butt in the oven would be a good alternative. That's all YOU, over reacting, to a very honest suggestion.
    You want a simple solution to your problem...When the bottom of your pizza starts to reach the desired, perfect shade of brown you are looking for, slide a pizza pan under your pie and then continue cooking till the toppings are to your liking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    very slightly damp towel, no spritzing the stone, no soggy wet towel.  it helps to get the stone as high as possible as well to get the top cooking faster from the heat on the dome.  if the pie sits to long before putting it on the egg the sauce can also soak into the dough which can all cause burning underneath, get the pie on the stone as fast as possible after building the pie, work fast. too  much sauce isnt good either, use a quarter as much as you think you need.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018
    I am reminded that when a person says "I don't mean to...", they really do. Otherwise why bring it up at all? 

No problem, no worries.  
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    very slightly damp towel, no spritzing the stone, no soggy wet towel.  it helps to get the stone as high as possible as well to get the top cooking faster from the heat on the dome.  if the pie sits to long before putting it on the egg the sauce can also soak into the dough which can all cause burning underneath, get the pie on the stone as fast as possible after building the pie, work fast. too  much sauce isnt good either, use a quarter as much as you think you need.
    Thanks for your input.
    Instagram
  • Legume
    DWFII said:
    I am reminded that when a person says "I don't mean to...", they really do. Otherwise why bring it up at all? 

No problem, no worries.  
    Because some people overreact.
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018
    Legume said:
    Because some people overreact.

I understand--it's a throw-away remark. But ask yourself--what would I (or anyone) have reacted to, if you had simply not said it? If you invite a reaction...there's no possible "overreaction." If you don't mean to be a "smart *ss" there's no reason to deny it right out of the box.
    Instagram
  • Legume
    Best of luck with your pizza.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    I mop my wfo stone floor with damp towel primarily to clean the 'debris' from the fire and burnt dry flour/semolina used for launching previous pies ... these can cause darkening, not just the high temp.
    canuckland
  • DWFII
    You know, I had a lot of dark cornmeal/semolina on the stone and under the edge of the pizza on this last cook. I never thought about it causing darkening but it makes sense. 
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Legume said:
    Best of luck with your pizza.
    Thank you. 
    Instagram
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I use the parchment technique and it does help reduce excessive browning.

Do you use pre-made pizza dough or do you make your own? Many brands of store-bought pizza dough contain sugar in some form. Sugar causes the dough to darken faster.

The only other thought is excess toppings. 

Good luck.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    DWFII said:
    You know, I had a lot of dark cornmeal/semolina on the stone and under the edge of the pizza on this last cook. I never thought about it causing darkening but it makes sense. 
    definitely ditch the cornmeal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    1voyager said:
    I use the parchment technique and it does help reduce excessive browning.

Do you use pre-made pizza dough or do you make your own? Many brands of store-bought pizza dough contain sugar in some form. Sugar causes the dough to darken faster.

The only other thought is excess toppings. 

Good luck.

No, we make our own dough using a close to 50 year old sourdough starter. I don't think it has sugar in it.  But no fancy flour or such. I am going to try the parchment trick.
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    DWFII said:

Why? What's wrong with the cornmeal?
    Not saying you're wrong but we've been using it for years...I can remember the first pizza I ever ate (in a pizza parlor) --60 some years ago. that was the thing I remember most--the cornmeal on the bottom of the crust. 
    Instagram
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2018
    IMO fresh cornmeal (i.e. cornmeal from the current pie) is fine, it's the burnt cornmeal from previous pies. May not need mopping every time, blowing or brushing works too.
    canuckland
  • DWFII
    IMO fresh cornmeal (i.e. cornmeal from the current pie) is fine, it's the burnt cornmeal from previous pies. May not need mopping every time, blowing or brushing works too.

Yeah, I think not brushing off the previous cornmeal was my mistake. I don't know why I didn't I guess I was in a hurry to get the pie on the stone and get the dome closed. 
    Does anyone have problems with the cornmeal sticking to the stone? How do you clean your stone after all the pizza is done and the Egg cooled down?
    Instagram
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    What about putting your stone in a little closer to launch time? That way the bottom won’t burn and top will get cooked a little closer to the time the bottom will be done. Or starting out with an airbake under the pie and then giving a quick finish direct on the stone. 
  • Photo Egg
    DWFII said:

Yeah, I think not brushing off the previous cornmeal was my mistake. I don't know why I didn't I guess I was in a hurry to get the pie on the stone and get the dome closed. 
    Does anyone have problems with the cornmeal sticking to the stone? How do you clean your stone after all the pizza is done and the Egg cooled down?

Google "pizza stone brush" and then choose images. Will show many styles.
    I use the above in combination with a sharp edge, wide putty knife.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Powak said:
    What about putting your stone in a little closer to launch time? That way the bottom won’t burn and top will get cooked a little closer to the time the bottom will be done. Or starting out with an airbake under the pie and then giving a quick finish direct on the stone. 

I have an airbake and will definitely try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Instagram