Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgating suggestions from the pros

Options
Tailgaiting next weekend. 7 pm kickoff. Looking to start @ 11AM. Bringing MM, pellet grill and camp chef flat top. I am planning to do tacos/ fajitas, ABTS, and ribs. I am open to suggestions. Maybe augment the cooks or change the plan all together. Thinking of tacos early and ribs later. What do you all like to do?

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    A dip is always a winner. Chicken wings. Chili. (Or mini chili dog sliders) Anything that can be done ahead of time like an Eggfest. 

If you have your ribs done and are just reheating and saucing that works. I wouldn’t fool with smoking the whole time. It’s just a PITA in the field. 

Tailgate is for you to have fun, too! 

I did just the MM last weekend and between wings, a buffalo dip, and pigs in a blanket it was 3 hours start to finish. 

ABTs are always a hit! Just keep em snacking. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You want to do as much prep work as you can prior to your event. You are not at home and are working without all of your creature comforts. The goal is to make it easy so that you spend more time enjoying your friends, and less time sweating over a hot grill. As an example, chose things that are already cooked like say ribs. Reheat on the grill and sauce for the finish. Use a minimal amount of utensils and other tools requiring cleanup. I gather my basting brush and tongs and tie off in a grocery store bag...for washing up when I get home. Also the better you can seal them, the better your automobile will smell after a hot day Sitting in the sun. 

Mt point to menuing is think great food but easy to produce on the fly. Quick and easy for the win....so you are ready for your teams win.

A great resource I have found is tailgatermagazine.com.   Great food ideas, cocktails, equipment and more. The digital version is free, I look forward to receiving my paper copy myself.  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Choose items that can be prepped at home and only need quick cooking or reheating.

pig shots are good. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @northGAcock is a tailgating legend.  Seennit first hand. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    He is.  Have you seen the generator?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I saw the first one that Luke lost.  Haven’t seen v2 or v3. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's a lot of firepower for a tailgate session dontcha think? I mean are we drinking beer, grilling and watching some pigskin or are we catering this event? :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You want to do as much prep work as you can prior to your event. You are not at home and are working without all of your creature comforts. The goal is to make it easy so that you spend more time enjoying your friends, and less time sweating over a hot grill. As an example, chose things that are already cooked like say ribs. Reheat on the grill and sauce for the finish. Use a minimal amount of utensils and other tools requiring cleanup. I gather my basting brush and tongs and tie off in a grocery store bag...for washing up when I get home. Also the better you can seal them, the better your automobile will smell after a hot day Sitting in the sun. 

Mt point to menuing is think great food but easy to produce on the fly. Quick and easy for the win....so you are ready for your teams win.

A great resource I have found is tailgatermagazine.com.   Great food ideas, cocktails, equipment and more. The digital version is free, I look forward to receiving my paper copy myself.  
    When does the landscaping time get favored in?
    And while I am asking questions, is there an official flag raising time/ceremony at every game? 

(For those of you who do not know, @northGAcock has his own tailgating spot and has landscaped his plot. He is hardcore tailgater.). 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    That's a lot of firepower for a tailgate session dontcha think? I mean are we drinking beer, grilling and watching some pigskin or are we catering this event? :smiley:
    Absolutely. I actually look at it like catering for the kids. However, throwing some ribs on a pellet grill isn’t much work really. Looking to do  some easy tacos on the flattop early and the rest is easy peasy IMO. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    #meeither

• northGAcock
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    When does the landscaping time get favored in?
    And while I am asking questions, is there an official flag raising time/ceremony at every game? 

(For those of you who do not know, @northGAcock has his own tailgating spot and has landscaped his plot. He is hardcore tailgater.). 
    Well to address your questions....I am awaiting for some cooler weather in order to over seed with winter rye. We have nice green grass in Mid Feb when college baseball cranks up. At the point it gets warm (late May) we get leaves on the trees and our dormant grass starts greening up. 

The flag raisin is generally determined by the placement of the flagpole and flag in the car. In the unloading, our order of priority is generally tailgate kitchen (cause we set our tunes on top of it), generator and then speakers. Once we got tunes going, we work on the other items on a first come basis.

There is no formal raising. The biggest decision is what flags to fly. We really don’t sweat that much, we are working towards completion, cause then we get to woopin up our first Bloody Mary. 

Bet by now you wished you hadn’t asked.  ;)

• pgprescott
    Options
    I could always use another generator, especially a Honda. If you have a very slightly used one for sale, let me know. 😜
  • northGAcock
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Absolutely. I actually look at it like catering for the kids. However, throwing some ribs on a pellet grill isn’t much work really. Looking to do  some easy tacos on the flattop early and the rest is easy peasy IMO. 

I occasionally make some effort. 

Love to do shrimp tacos on the blackstone too. Quick and easy. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Far from ledgend status. Have been doing it in this spot for ten college baseball seasons. Have met many a great folk....and missed a few games (I.e remained at tailgate) along the way. All are welcome and we generally are well fed. My apologies to OP as I somewhat derailed your thread. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Far from ledgend status. Have been doing it in this spot for ten college baseball seasons. Have met many a great folk....and missed a few games (I.e remained at tailgate) along the way. All are welcome and we generally are well fed. My apologies to OP as I somewhat derailed your thread. 
    You missed that game.  This is where it all started. First time we met in person. Great day. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    No apologies needed. BTW I am planning on missing the game LOL. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That’s one hell of a spread Pete. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Speaking of tailgates....did some work on mine today.

Cut the grass (twice) and spread some winter rye seed. Sat out when finished in the shade. What a gawjus day.

Got hungary and went for a plate of BBQ (the real kind for you NC folks). Returned to this.

You know I really couldn’t argue with the kick off the shoes and take a good nap approach. Did crack me up though.

• pgprescott
    Options

Cut the grass (twice) and spread some winter rye seed. Sat out when finished in the shade. What a gawjus day.

Got hungary and went for a plate of BBQ (the real kind for you NC folks). Returned to this.

You know I really couldn’t argue with the kick off the shoes and take a good nap approach. Did crack me up though.
    Someone likes the fresh cut grass aroma. 
  • northGAcock
    Options

Someone likes the fresh cut grass aroma. 
    Agreed.....and championships are won in the off season. Tailgating 🍻