Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas containers.....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
Now I am usually supportive of safety enabled advancements.....but the d@mn new fangled dispensing end on gas cans just plain suck. I am 0/2 at this point. First one never could figure out (with reading instructions) and had to make so modifications just to get gas out the first and only time.......the secound one (a five galloner) dispenseing apparatice has failed after limited use. Is it really that hard? Did the basic kind of old really create too many fires? Explosions? 

I’m mad as he!!. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    LOL! You can but an aftermarket spout kit on amazon. I actually got on eBay and bought several “vintage “ cans. I like the pyramid shaped Gott ones. Well worth the money spent. 

The new new ones lead to increased violence because you get so f’n pissed using them. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i must of picked up a half dozen at homedepot before i found one that worked properly and by properly, 10 to 15 minutes to pour 5 gallons in the boat. theres old style caps online but not sure how that works without the second vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    i must of picked up a half dozen at homedepot before i found one that worked properly and by properly, 10 to 15 minutes to pour 5 gallons in the boat. theres old style caps online but not sure how that works without the second vent
    Poke a hole in the plastic can. Boom! Second vent. That said, that’s why I bought up more of
    the old style ones off eBay. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options

All I could find for the last couple years was cans that had the vent in the nozzle in Canada. It made more issues as the vent was always under fuel unless you tilted the can ever so slowly and if your not Hercules that is next to impossible. I seen just recently a big display called "the vent is back" and looks like the older style is available again. Now I have 3 useless cans, unless I get creative with some pipe fitting

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scepter-gas-can-25-l-0283053p.html#srp

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Shop yard sales for old cans. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Robin get you one of those No Spill brand cans. They’re a little pricey but man that thing is awesome. Especially for things you don’t want to overspill gas on like weed eaters, flamethrowers, etc. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know if these work, but cheap enough to try. In the comments, someone said Tractor Supply sells 'em if you want to look before you buy. Here's a link.

I bought a couple of 5 gallon water jugs (Cabelas, I think) and rigged up a spout with pvc tubing and a rubber stopper. Not the greatest, but better than EPA cans. About 8 years ago and it hasn't dissolved from the gas. =)

Pretty sure this is the one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Yes, there were terrible tragedies with the old-style gas cans.  They were not exclusively the fault of the cans . . . "operator error" and "Darwin Award" type behavior absolutely contributed, resulting in horrific injuries, often to children. 

When the tort lawyers literally targeted the industry, it was game on and the largest manufacturer -- a US business based in Miami, Oklahoma -- was forced to seek bankruptcy protection and ultimately liquidated because it didn't have the resources to defend against and sometimes pay out outrageously inflated claims while also implementing relatively simple and inexpensive measures to retard potential "flashback" explosions when the cans were misused by individuals seemingly unaware of the equation that Gas + Fire = Kaboom.  

So that's the short version of the backstory on why you and I and so many others are frustrated by the gas cans now available in the "free market".  If interested, you can read more about this sad state of affairs here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/business/in-a-shuttered-gasoline-can-factory-the-two-sides-of-product-liability.html

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • toolndie7
    toolndie7 Posts: 26
    edited October 2018
    Options

and here is the good old fashioned spout that will solve all your problems

Rhode Island
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Robin get you one of those No Spill brand cans. They’re a little pricey but man that thing is awesome. Especially for things you don’t want to overspill gas on like weed eaters, flamethrowers, etc. 
    Just looked at those and they do look nice. 3 gallons/min flow rate too!

http://www.nospill.com

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Not a truer statement ever made.

• northGAcock
    Options
    If you happen on any whilst you are out yard buying, grab me one will ya? 2 1/2 gal my preference. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    If you happen on any whilst you are out yard buying, grab me one will ya? 2 1/2 gal my preference. 
    You won’t catch me at a yard sale...
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Guess you don’t need a gas can that works....

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I was smart enough to keep my old gas cans  ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Poke a hole in the plastic can. Boom! Second vent. That said, that’s why I bought up more of
    the old style ones off eBay. 
    i resorted to pulling most of the nozzle safety innards out and now hang the gas can with rope off the side of the boat.  i put about 30 gallons in about once a month. i need a new system
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I was smart enough to keep my old gas cans  ;)
    Yep I have never worn a gas can out 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @fishlessman, did you take a look at the NoSpill thing? Three gallons per min. And she's cute. =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UHHuVGtFGI

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    And another product idea for Yeti... =)
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm telling ya @Carolina Q those things are where it's at. I've got a 5 gallon and two 2 1/2 gallons. 

It was a gut punch spending $30+ on the first one but after I tried them I'll never buy anything else. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 16
    Options
    How in the world did I make it through the mid-60's fueling my lawn mower with a steel can with a flexible steel nozzle?  Never set myself on fire, never burned down the house, never caused any fires at all.

I say we take the warning labels off and let nature take its course.
  • northGAcock
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm telling ya @Carolina Q those things are where it's at. I've got a 5 gallon and two 2 1/2 gallons. 

It was a gut punch spending $30+ on the first one but after I tried them I'll never buy anything else. 
    How about send me one and let me try it out for a year or two? Full would be even better. I prefer the real stuff....no ethanal. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    FatDog said:
    How in the world did I make it through the mid-60's fueling my lawn mower with a steel can with a flexible steel nozzle?  Never set myself on fire, never burned down the house, never caused any fires at all.

I say we take the warning labels off and let nature take its course.
    Your comment rings true with me as well, but actually earlier. I started mowing yards at age 13. By age 14 my reputation had spread in our small Missouri town and I was mowing 22 yards per week!

My father even taught me how to get a loan at the bank so I could buy a new mower! Even though I signed the promissory note first my dad co-signed it to make it legal. I paid off that loan one month later! 

Then the following Summer my first new mower was beat to death as they were not made well back then. So again off to the bank my father and I went! This time I got the new loan on my own signature - though I bet my dad winked at the bank president! I paid that loan off in 3 weeks! 

Back to the gasoline container issue...since I was needing so much gas I would take off on my bicycle with a gallon GLASS jug! The jug had a large ring at the neck. BTW I was paying $.25 a gallon! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The no spill cans are worth the money. They sell extensions also like the one on my 2 gallon can that make pouring even easier. 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    LOL! You can but an aftermarket spout kit on amazon. I actually got on eBay and bought several “vintage “ cans. I like the pyramid shaped Gott ones. Well worth the money spent. 

The new new ones lead to increased violence because you get so f’n pissed using them. 
    Any links to those aftermarket kits on amazon? I’m thinking those would be the way to go.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Ron, you had that much cash flow and you were taking out loans?  Certainly not to build your fico score back then.  Didn’t want to dig up a coffee can or two?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Legume said:
    Ron, you had that much cash flow and you were taking out loans?  Certainly not to build your fico score back then.  Didn’t want to dig up a coffee can or two?
    Back then I took care of 3 old widow's yard and two would pay me $.50 each and the third lady who had the larger part paid me $.75. Most people only paid $1. My best customer paid me $2. 
    Also back then the mowers were less than $100.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Powak said:

Any links to those aftermarket kits on amazon? I’m thinking those would be the way to go.
    Just type in gas can spout replacement