Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork chili?

Ok, so I did a search here for uses of pulled pork.  I read about pulled pork pizza, pulled pork tacos, pulled pork egg rolls, pulled pork nachos, and even pulled pork grilled cheese sammiches.  With cooler weather approaching, I'm considering a pulled pork batch of chili.  I'm thinking a 50/50 mixture of pulled pork and ground beef.  Surely some of you boys have tried this already.  What say you?
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Don't recall such a thread, but why not lead the way?

Just a personal thing, but if I did such a chili I most certainly would use chopped pulled pork instead of pulled pork! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    RRP said:
    Don't recall such a thread, but why not lead the way?

Just a personal thing, but if I did such a chili I most certainly would use chopped pulled pork instead of pulled pork! 
    Oh I definitely agree that the pork should be chopped, but why hasn't this been tried? Am I forcing a square peg into a round hole?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • For traditional chili my vote would be a hard no. But opinions and a holes... 

You can can make a killer roasted pepper pulled pork stew.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Make some Pozole rojo.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Brunswick stew?  Not traditional chili but it’s pretty good.   That was a hit here a few years back
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Can’t be nasty. Go for it. 
  • If you use the search feature, you will find a couple great  recipes using pulled pork in “green chili”. I made some last week and it does not disappoint. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I toss pulled pork in chili sometimes. I don't do 50/50. I do mostly chili grind, some ground sausage, and then add in pulled pork. Maybe 10-15% pulled pork. Good stuff. I think a 50/50 would work great. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I was looking at some very old chili recipes, and was surprised to find a number that included pork. The ratio was more like 20 - 25% pork, and in a few of the recipes, the pork was browned 1st, I'm supposing to provide fat for the initial beef browning.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Don't bother with the ground beef.  Just make a good traditional Chile Verde with pork.

For traditional chili my vote would be a hard no. But opinions and a holes... 

You can can make a killer roasted pepper pulled pork stew.
    What's traditional chili?  Green chile with pork is very traditional in some areas.  The red stuff with beef appears to be much newer in origin. Maybe more popular, but not more traditional.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• toolndie7
    toolndie7 Posts: 26
    edited October 2018
    I like to put chili on top of my pulled pork sandwiches. Does that count?
    Rhode Island
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im not a fan of how pulled pork shreds into hair like pieces when it simmers for a while. what ive done with the pulled pork for other stews like brunswick is run it thru a grinder before heating it back up, that would work for chili for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’m in agreement about not being so huge about the texture of pulled pork in a chili.  I’d definitely be more likely to take the pork to 175-180 (rather than 200ish for pulling) and then cube for chili.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I do pulled chicken in my chili. I can't be too different than pork 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a green chili recipe that I have been using for many meals, pulled pork or cubed pieces work just as well.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962512&catid=1

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I wouldn't be afraid to try a white chili version using PP.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    ColtsFan said:
      This might give some ideas. eggjoy.  http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=763609&catid=1

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:
      This might give some ideas. eggjoy.  http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=763609&catid=1

Thank you, sir. I'll certainly give this a go
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Just ate for lunch fire roasted salsa, topped with shredded pork loin in green chile sauce, topped with cheese that melted when it all was nuked. 

It was kind of chili-like.  It also was stew-like.  Delish.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Legume
    All of this cultural appropriation of chili is shameful. (Said someone in Texas, probably)
  • jtcBoynton
    Legume said:
    All of this cultural appropriation of chili is shameful. (Said someone in Texas, probably)
    Or more properly New Mexico.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Not to be pedantic, but it appears chili, red chili, is a Texas original, tho' New Mexico green chili might have started around the same time.

Evidently, chili was a dish made up by colonists from the Canary Islands brought into the San Antonio area by the Spanish. Thus the use of lots of cumin in the recipe, that being standard for the islands and the whole of north Africa.

From a few things I've read, chili was sometimes formed into bricks, like pemmican, and used as a long lasting trail food that could be carried in a leather sack.
  • jtcBoynton
    Not to be pedantic, but it appears chili, red chili, is a Texas original, tho' New Mexico green chili might have started around the same time.

I am sure the folks in Texas and New Mexico may have some interesting discussions of the origins of chili.  Not sure about the same time though.  The Spanish settled in New Mexico earlier than they did in Texas (over 100 years).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• fishlessman
    this ancient portuguese recipe looks an awful lot like chili cept for the cinnimon and allspice =)

2 lbs chuck, cut into bite-size cubes
    5-6 garlic cloves, crushed or minced

piri piri pepper

1 Tbsp red pepper flake
    2 Tbsp Kosher salt

2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    1-2 c. white wine and/or stock
    1 tsp allspice
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 cinnamon stick

Toss the meat, garlic, pepper flake and salt in a large bowl, combine well and let rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. The meat will turn a brilliant shade of red. stew for hours. the cinnamon and allspice just makes it better. serve it on a potato

fukahwee maine

• Legume
    gdenby said:

From a few things I've read, chili was sometimes formed into bricks, like pemmican, and used as a long lasting trail food that could be carried in a leather sack.
    Well, that wouldn’t work with beans.
  • fishlessman
    better than the texas imitation

Image result for fukahwee fishlessman

fukahwee maine

• trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    I would not use that much pulled pork.  I use about 1 pound of hamburger meat and about 1/4 pound or even a little less of the pork to mix in.  I would definitely chop it.  Thinking about making a batch myself this week.
  • I use 50/50 beef and chopped pork in mine.  Do not forget the can of PBR.

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD