Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Cheesecake!

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Another Instant Pot cook, this time, dessert! I watched a YouTube video recently where a guy made cheesecake in an IP so I ordered a pan and tried one myself. My first and it was delicious!! Very creamy and dense. I made a strawberry topping (strawberries, sugar and vanilla) instead of his sour cream concoction. His cake was thicker than mine because he used a smaller pan. 

I used Philly full fat cream cheese. Don't know from personal experience, but I've read that, in recipes where cream cheese is the star of the show, it pays to buy the good stuff instead of Aldi's, Great Value, etc.). Anyway, that's what I did.

Hope some of you IP guys give it a shot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJ8BAYn8VE   (click SHOW MORE for ingredients.)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Excellent looking cheesecake, thanks for the link. What size Insta-Pot did you use? We have the 8 qt. Insta-Pot and I was wondering what size pan to order for the cheesecake.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Excellent looking cheesecake, thanks for the link. What size Insta-Pot did you use? We have the 8 qt. Insta-Pot and I was wondering what size pan to order for the cheesecake.
    Thanks. Mine is a 6 qt and I used this 7" pan. 7" is the inside diameter. It has a rolled rim at the top that's 7/16" wide. So the outside diameter is 7 7/8". The inside diameter of my IP is 8 5/8" so a larger cake pan wouldn't fit. The guy in the link used the same pan except it was 6". 

When I made my cake, I buttered the walls of the pan, but I didn't bother with the bottom. That's fine (no sticking - because of the butter in the crust I assume), but the cake stays on the disk for the duration. I didn't try to remove it, figured I'd just trash the crust. So I bought some 7" pre-cut parchment paper rounds for next time. Should just slide right off the metal disk.

TMI, right? =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @Retired_RailRoader, I just noticed on the Amazon link, if you click on different size pans, the description changes and says "fits 6 or 8 qt pressure cookers" or "fits 8 qt pressure cookers", etc. Looks like an 8" would be fine for an 8 Qt.

However, notice how thick the cake in the video was. Mine looked quite a bit thinner (larger pan, same ingredients). An 8" pan might give you a very thin cheesecake with that recipe! Unless you use another brick (or 2?) of cream cheese and increase the other ingredients as well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Retired RailRoader
    Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @Retired_RailRoader, I just noticed on the Amazon link, if you click on different size pans, the description changes and says "fits 6 or 8 qt pressure cookers" or "fits 8 qt pressure cookers", etc. Looks like an 8" would be fine for an 8 Qt.

However, notice how thick the cake in the video was. Mine looked quite a bit thinner (larger pan, same ingredients). An 8" pan might give you a very thin cheesecake with that recipe! Unless you use another brick (or 2?) of cream cheese and increase the other ingredients as well.
    Thanks, I like the height of yours vs. the one in the video. I’ll most likely pick up the 7” pan like yours. I also rather have the fruit topping like you made then the sour cream one.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Thanks, I like the height of yours vs. the one in the video. I’ll most likely pick up the 7” pan like yours. I also rather have the fruit topping like you made then the sour cream one.

Hope you like it! Here's the topping. May try blueberry next time.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/43914/supreme-strawberry-topping/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Too much cheesecake?  Wrap slices and freeze for months of enjoyment!!~~
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much cheesecake! At least that’s been my experience.  😀
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Fantastic brother Q
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much cheesecake! At least that’s been my experience.  😀
    Amazing!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Fantastic brother Q
    Thanks, it WAS pretty good. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut