Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water in Egg

Options
Hi All - my egg is 7-8 years old. I use a Smoke Ware vent cover and just replaced the gasket and hinge this year. Never before have I found 1-1.5 inches of standing water in the bottom of my egg but this year it has happened at least twice. My gasket is lined up and the hinge properly installed. Not sure how water is getting into my egg. 

Will this harm the egg? Any ideas on how that much water is getting in? Is it the exterior seal of the egg that could be so porous?

There are times when I am cooking low and slow cooks where black soot will ooze out of my egg temporarily turning my egg black. It washes off easily so I don’t worry about it. 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you live in the part of the world that freezes, make sure the water is not there by winter.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Has the above happened since the introduction of the Smokeware cap??  If you have a solid base to dome fit then absent the cap change I'm at a loss. 
    BTW- the 1-1.5 inches of rain water accumulated over what time frame?
    New one on me.  Good luck sorting it out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I’ve had smokeware cap for years and never happened. Water will accumulate after a single rainfall. I use my egg multiple times a week. Tends to only happen when it rains REALLY hard. I live in central Indiana and it has been wet wet wet this year!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm south of you in Louisville and can appreciate the quantity of rain.  I've not had any rain issues but my BGE's although exposed to the weather, are under a roof. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Seems that 1.5" of water would seep/drain out the lower vent.

But the ? remains, why. Damifino.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you leaving the smokeware cap vents open? If it’s raining hard, maybe some water gets blown in?

only other thing I can think of is a crack big enough to let water in, but you would have noticed that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Any possibility someone left it open and closed it later? Kids?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    caulk on the lower vent look good?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Clearly there is a leak.  Three eggs with SW caps and never anything beyond mild internal condensation.  I bet it’s your top seal or gasket.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I see you said you have replaced your hinge as well as your gasket - and have never had this problem before. My guess is the planes of your dome and base are now out of sync. The popular test here is the "dollar bill" test. If your egg fails that test then let me know and I'll be glad to tell you how to fix.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I agree with the above from RRP. Water will wick in from the most unbelievable places. Veteran of many strange auto water leaks. Dust the gasket with baby powder and water test with a "shower nozzle" on a hose. You can also get leak detector spray from a local autoparts store. spray it on the under side of the dome. Follow the tracks to your leaks. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks @RRP and @frazzdaddy. I don’t know the dollar bill trick but will google it. Will report back on results. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah I would bet it’s coming in through the gasket. The water will adhere to the surface of the egg and travel horizontally. 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Just got back in town. Tomorrow I mow and conduct the dollar test. Thanks all. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    My guess would be the caulk on the lower vent. Is it still sealed good?
    NW IOWA
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Hi all - performed the dollar test and it failed in 3-5 spots. I was able to pull the dollar out with mild resistance. A few spots were sealed tight and I could not pull the dollar out at all. I’ve PMd @RRP. Thanks for all your input!