Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck breast with plum and tamarind sauce ... PSWoo two-zone cook

Options
I cooked some duck breast with the plum and tamarind sauce in the kitchen at the weekend. I then remembered watching @tjv in a YouTube clip about two zone cooking with the PSWoo and thought I'd give this a try. Turned out very well indeed. The sauce recipe and two approaches are in the blog post linked below:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/09/28/duck-breast-with-plum-and-tamarind-sauce/

Cooking in the Large ... sear first ...

... and then roast second:

Plated shot ... this was when I cooked it in the kitchen, it was too dark to get a decent shot after cooking on the Egg:

I also used some of @Nature Boy DP Peking rub with the noodles, combined with toasted sesame seed oil ... really good:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  And as usual, great pictures. 
    Honestly, was there much of a difference between the two cooking methods (egg vs kitchen?)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Amazing as usual, mate.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Duck yeah!  That looks awesome. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very very nice! The sauce sounds wonderful. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @Stormbringer is making it rain up in here! Boom!
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks folks. I was tinkering with the new camera, happy with the results so far.

@Sea2Ski there was a definite difference ... the Egg method was more fun and led to less congestion in the kitchen area ... but I guess you're talking about the outcome :). It was slightly better cooking in the Egg for two reasons.

The first was accidental. The Egg is at a very slight incline which means that when the fat rendered out, it went to one end of the pan. So rather than cooking in rendered fat, as happened on the hob, the fat was completely drained from the skin, resulting in a crisper skin. I could of course do this in the kitchen by angling the pan as the fat renders out.

In addition, or perhaps because of the above, the meat had slightly better texture when cooked in the Egg. Granted, this could be a difference between the ducks, although the kitchen and Egg variants did come from the same packet.

Having said this, I was looking for a difference. If I hadn't have been would I have noticed one? Probably not. But it was more fun cooking with the Egg.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Great cook. Stellar.