Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for recommendations re: Southern road trip

Options
2»

Comments

• OshawaDave
    Options
    I’m a Canadian who is fairly well-acquainted with the Eastern coast of the U.S. However, I am much less familiar with the U.S.’s West coast and the South.

My wife and I have 9 days off in the coming weeks and had been thinking about a road trip without children. Cities we were considering visiting are Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham and Atlanta (which I traveled to on business last year but didn’t get to visit). We are willing to spend time in one, or to try to visit several, though we recognize this could be tough on a tight schedule.

We generally enjoy good food (and are very adventurous eaters) - not high end restaurants, but quality food in any atmosphere, bars, restaurants and music (as we are both musicians). 

Can anyone please give us a sense of which cities we should be putting in our sights, as well as which attractions and restaurants to visit within those cities?

We’d especially appreciate those recommendations for places off the beaten path - those gems that are frequented by locals but may not be known amongst the tourists. 

Many thanks y’all!I
    n 2017 I flew to Memphis and I enjoyed that tremendously. Beale Street was would. took in some great BBQ. Central BBQ was great.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Photo Egg said:

I say shoot for New Orleans. Especially now that the heat is easing up.

According to whom?
    Yep, not until the end of the month. I live 90 minutes east and will probably go there Friday but I am a native to the heat and humidity.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Photo Egg said:

According to whom?
    Must be starting to ease up a little, didn't say it was cooling off.
    I'm in the same Gulf of Mexico arm pit.lol
    We are not in triple digits anymore.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    buzd504 said:
    Photo Egg said:

According to whom?
    Must be starting to ease up a little, didn't say it was cooling off.
    I'm in the same Gulf of Mexico arm pit.lol
    We are not in triple digits anymore.
    It is easing off. I was able to stand outside and not completely soak my shirt Sunday. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    If you go to Asheville, make sure you hit Nine Mile and Sunny Point Cafe for food. I would also recommend Nashville since I live here now. Definitely check out downtown Nashville (Broadway and the Honky Tonks), and if you get a chance come down to Franklin. We have a really cool downtown that will make you think you've time travelled to the 1950s.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Asheville indeed marches  to a different drummer, but it's worth the stop!  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article219204485.html

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ashville and the Grove Park inn, can't go wrong. Tupelo Honey and the Chestnut restaurants.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If a fan of the movie “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” ...you need to hit Clary’s Dinner. Classic movie....classic dinner.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Start in New Orleans, head east along gulf coast, then north thru Alabama. West to Mississippi and back down to NO. Skip Atlanta and Nashville. While both have some very good restaurants I don’t think that’s what your looking for. If I get time tonight I’ll post some names. Sounds like a great trip. 
    We spent 10 years exploring the US in our RV. Our number one city is NOLA and with its surrounding areas, states, makes for a great culinary experience. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Savannah, GA for me. Then a short trip to Jekyll Island.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Durham, NC!!  Voted best food city in the South a few times over the last couple of years!  Lots to do...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Put Asheville and Raleigh on your itinerary. 
    Clyde Cooper's is a long time institution in Raleigh, but also check out the other parts of the Triangle - Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro  (the latter especially for music)
    Raleigh, NC
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    somehow Louisville, a gateway city to the south, has been left off of this list!

I'm thinking Louisville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Asheville and head north on the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah parkways would be a great loop to get a good taste of what southern living as well as the changing scenery of fall.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Put Asheville and Raleigh on your itinerary. 
    Clyde Cooper's is a long time institution in Raleigh, but also check out the other parts of the Triangle - Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro  (the latter especially for music)
    Let's add Merritt's to that list. Best BLT OTP. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    somehow Louisville, a gateway city to the south, has been left off of this list!

I'm thinking Louisville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Asheville and head north on the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah parkways would be a great loop to get a good taste of what southern living as well as the changing scenery of fall.
    If you live in Ottawa, the fall foilage here will be very disappointing. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

I suspect you might be right. I actually live right on the cusp of Gatineau park - a huge park featuring all manner of paths and trails. Quite the colours this time of year. 

Have you been to Ottawa?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited October 2018
    Options

I suspect you might be right. I actually live right on the cusp of Gatineau park - a huge park featuring all manner of paths and trails. Quite the colours this time of year. 

Have you been to Ottawa?
    I have not but I know it’s some of the most beautiful fall foliage in the world. There will be massive crowds in the mountains/Asheville throughout fall so you might want to take that into consideration. Peak pricing as well. A trip down the coast might be more of a change in scenery for you.