Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolled brisket

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
Going against the grain here but this turned pout pretty good...tender and juicy: Fat cap up.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Tell me more!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • DWFII
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not much to tell...5.5 lb. grass fed. Thick hard fat cap. Coated with EVO, salt, pepper and a non-descript rub. Rolled tightly. Cooked at approx. 300° + for about an hour  a lb. Foiled at 180° with a half cup of apple cider. Therma pen reading was 198°-203° when it came off. Rested on counter approx. 20min. FTC for four hours.
    About the only significant thing was that it was fairly rectangular and relatively even in thickness.
    We bought a half beef from a local rancher and this was the second piece of brisket. The other was triangular in shape, triple thickness at one end and about 4 lb. Did it the same way but it didn't turn out as well, mostly because it only went to 198° or so. Still very edible, however.
    Full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of brisket...would rather spend my time cooking a chuck for pulled beef.  Or a butt for pulled pork. Or better yet pizza. =)
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i do this with pastrami brisket flats, fits the sandwich better after slicing. nice cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Glad you got that rolled brisket cooked so well. I've tried two and neither looked as good as yours. Egg on @DWFII. Enjoy seeing what you pull of your refurbished egg.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Thanks @SamIAm2 Maybe could have went 10 minutes more but I really have no complaints. I dedicate this cook to you and the several others who so generously helped me get an Egg together.
    Instagram