Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Egg Accessories Have You Bought That You Wouldn't Buy Again If You Knew Then, What You Know Now

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I used a couple of those vertical chicken stands before I knew better. 
    I still have one that was gifted and never used.
    They were such a PITA to clean. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    What is even worse, I still have those damn things in the kitchen cabinet taking up space.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    https://biggreenegg.com/product/compact-custom-island/

Anyone know now how much that runs?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I used a couple of those vertical chicken stands before I knew better. 
    I still use one when I cook LS Inverted Bird. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    $2, 300.00
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • etherdome
    Options
    Cast iron grate. Hands down. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    agree with ^^^^.   Especially with an XL, the 2 cast iron grates are a pain to move around.   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    Pswoo is my vote. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I never bought the ash tool. I just point my leaf blower at the lower air inlet. 
    You’re joking right? 
    I have done the leaf blower method many times.  The only problem is ashing up the cooking grid.  I always forget to take it out when I do that.  This is only a summer thing for me, on days when I am doing the lawn and think, lets send ashes 20 feet in the air for fun.  Cool!  B)

Oh, and least used thing that I have bought over the years is a rib rack.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Egg light string....actually, cause it only gets used on my small Xmas tree in my office for about 5 weeks a year.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I never bought the ash tool. I just point my leaf blower at the lower air inlet. 
    You’re joking right? 
    I have done the leaf blower method many times.  The only problem is ashing up the cooking grid.  I always forget to take it out when I do that.  This is only a summer thing for me, on days when I am doing the lawn and think, lets send ashes 20 feet in the air for fun.  Cool!  B)

Oh, and least used thing that I have bought over the years is a rib rack.

• morrobayrich
    Options
    Castiron grate.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • chzplz
    Options
    You’re joking right? 
    I am assuming they set it to suck, not blow. 
  • chzplz
    Options
    I bought my egg used, so it came with it, but the two tiered grill.  I’d rather have the space that the post takes up, versus the second tier.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Platesetter and Maverick temp monitor. CGS stuff has replaced PS and other thing was just useless. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • SaltySam
    Options
    My Pizza stone doesn’t get used much.  I like it, but we prefer CI skillet deep dish here.  The CI grate is probably my vote, despite the fact that I didn’t pay for one, and it was a gift.

i don’t understand the ash tool hate. Love that thing! It’s a scooper, it’s a hammer for breaking up huge chunks of lump, it’s what I use to adjust the daisy wheel when it’s too hot and it swings open.  It’s not an accessory.  It’s a multi tool 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spider Grate and BGE Beer Can Chicken.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    BGE lump, vertical chicken olders and flameboss       better lump for the money, chicken holders heeded small chicken to work and sptchcock better, and flameboss not consistent and sometime fails to use wifi 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Maverick (almost never use it), BGE spring loaded grid lifter (gift), CI grid, BBQ Guru (works fine, just not necessary so rarely used), box of 144 lighter cubes (still sitting on the shelf years later), vertical chicken holders (2 as gifts), egg cover (never use it). Oh, and the CGS Spider, just never found a use for it. 
    Oven?😁
    You kidding?! That's my favorite accessory!  :rofl:  B)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options

• northGAcock
    Options
    nothing really. Took the advice of most here and went slow with the accessories. When I wanted to cook something specific and didn’t have the right tools....I bit the bullet. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    The very same time I bought my first egg I bought one of those rib racks - which to this very day I have never used! I'm sure it is in my garage someplace.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    RRP said:
    The very same time I bought my first egg I bought one of those rib racks - which to this very day I have never used! I'm sure it is in my garage someplace.

It’s a worthless rib rack but I have used mine to hold a rib roast elevated above a pan of root veggies. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    RRP said:

It’s a worthless rib rack but I have used mine to hold a rib roast elevated above a pan of root veggies. 
    And I do the same with cheekuns (flipped over (the rack)).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:

And turkeys 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    RRP said:

This is one that I do use a lot on my mbge.
    only used the ceramic chicken butt twice though

• GATraveller
    Options
    RRP said:

I use this every time I have an oversized brisket and on Thanksgiving. Never used it for ribs. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I’ve had good luck with the ceramic chicken butt stand as it is easier to pull outta the chicken than a beer can, but forget about the turkey stand in my large. No turkey is small enough to fit in a large bge standing up. Spatchcock birds come out way better.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Only things I don't use are things I thought I needed at a time, and have already been mentioned. This was also before I found this forum ... which also helped me discover things I did need, e.g. the PSWoo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Best thread ever...for me the vertical chicken holder is a lost money item.  Spatchcock is the best way to cook a bird (turkey or chicken).  I still use my rib rack but I can see that going away with some of the ideas here.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA