Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Pork Ribs

Options
They've been on for about four hours @ 225-240 degrees. Stalled @ 160 about an hour ago. 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    1voyager said:
    They've been on for about four hours @ 225-240 degrees. Stalled @ 160 about an hour ago. 

I have never done those low and slow. Usually raised direct for a bit and sauce. What temp you cookin to and how did they turn out?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    I can't advise one way or the other simply because I haven't cooked that many country style ribs. There's some confusion in the local meat markets/grocery stores about what exactly a country style rib is. And beyond that my wife usually cooks them on the stove in a pot with some water/broth/whatever, before I ever get a chance at them.
    Having said that, before I ever got into BBQ ... 35+ years ago, I tried some on the Weber Kettle--twice.
    I didn't know a thing about cooking on the Kettle much less smoking, low and slow, etc.
    The first time I did them I got lucky and my wife was on hand to watch over things...see, I really did get lucky.
    In any case they came out really great...not like spares or BB's but more like really nicely cooked pork steaks with a little chew. Needless to say, I had no clue about low and slow. Didn't even have a probe therm.
    The second time I completely ruined them--put a ring of lit charcoal around the edges of the charcoal grill and added some chunks of hickory. They turned out over-cooked, dry, and nasty. Wife wouldn't eat them and never let me try again.
    It's been a while since my Weber kettle days  and i think I'd do better now but I'm not sure I'd do them low and slow. Not sure I'd want them that well done.
    I dunno.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I do these direct as well.  Slow but direct....300-350 degrees.....sauce when ready and bump up to blacken them a touch around the edges.  Done right....these are the best tasting cheap piece of meat on the planet.  I've never considered doing them low/slow.
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I can't advise one way or the other simply because I haven't cooked that many country style ribs. There's some confusion in the local meat markets/grocery stores about what exactly a country style rib is.
    I completely agree.  I've gotten some that look marbled, but you do low and slow and they're too dry to eat. 

Then theres the ones that you'd think would be great grilled direct and take them off at med. rare pork temp 135 ish and they taste gelatinous and have to go back on to finish cooking.

There's definitely different cuts being labeled as the same thing, I need a good butcher closer than 30 miles away.

What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2018
    Options
    1voyager said:

I have never done those low and slow. Usually raised direct for a bit and sauce. What temp you cookin to and how did they turn out?
    I apologize for not following up earlier. I did these low-and-slow for about 5 hours @ 225 - 240. I usually go to 200 internal temp but these were ready @ 185. Stall lasted nearly 90 minutes which was about 45 minutes more than on previous cooks. BBQ sauce served on the side.

As side note, I bought them at Costco for $2.19/lb. They don't have them very often.

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    1voyager said:

done these many times using  raised and around 275 degrees.  Sauced around 140 and let finish to 150 - 155.  Pulled and foil tented to rest.  Very tender at that point.  I try to keep the boneless halves together and the bone in together as they usually finish at different times.  Cooking time approximately 30 to 45 minutes depending on thickness.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    wrap at about 150 and cook until about 195   and put in some apple juice when wrap
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    country style ribs available around Winston-Salem NC on sale at $1.39 / lb.  Cheap eats!! 

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    One of my favorites....About 325 raised direct....get them pulling away from the bone and turning color....lower the temp a little, and let sit a while.....sauce a couple times and let the sit a while...then after a while you will have some good country ribs...lol
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    There shouldn't be any bones in country style pork ribs. As far as I know they should come from the top of the shoulder. Course I'm no butcher.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    country ribs here are either from the small end of the loin which is usually ground up or its from the butt. two different type cooks. originally they were always loin cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    Yes, it seems to me that the loin cuts always end up a little too dry for my liking. The butt cuts are delicious.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    There shouldn't be any bones in country style pork ribs. As far as I know they should come from the top of the shoulder. Course I'm no butcher.
    Exactly. The country style pork ribs that I am accustomed to are boneless cut from the shoulder.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Kroger runs Boston butts at .99 at times and I always get at least one sliced by the butcher for country style ribs.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    depending who is cutting them and which side of the loin, loin county ribs need to be cooked like a pork chop. notice the dark meat, thats usually the better part, its not clean like the loin roast so most places grind it up. internal temp no higher than 140/145 leaning to the low end, dome temp around 350 for these

f89cde60jpg

Image result for country rib fishlessman

then theres the tiny riblets if you can find them =)

Image result for riblets fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it