Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Install

Options
Finally got around to installing my Rutland gasket (waited a good 6 months after getting the kit) and I'm not sure I did it correctly. It looks like a smashed burger with thousand island dressing (orange gasket goo) pressed out on the sides and on the top. I lit a fire in the egg and didn't see any obvious leaks, but I am wondering if all that extra goo might be toxic? Should I bother cutting off the goo for toxicity and/or aesthetics? Also, in terms of the installation, I almost ran out of material when it was supposed to be more than enough. Bunching it back on itself backfired a bit. In the unhappy event that I have to take this one off and do it over, any tips and tricks for getting it right the second time?

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    As long as it works, seals  up, and is sealed down- it’s good to go.  If the permatex oozing out the sides bothers you, cut it off.  

You must have done a great job of bunching.  I just installed my second gasket a few months ago because my original base cracked and I still had about 7-8 inches left over.  

XL BGE
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    I found it a snap, but I followed Ron's instructions to the letter.  Ron's instructions are essentially foolproof, and the best deal in aftermarket accessories for the BGE.  I was gifted a used MBGE, which had a thoroughly disintegrated gasket.  Installed a Rutland before I did anything else.  Instant upgrade for, what, eleven bucks?! 

My advice:  prepare fully.  Clean and uncluttered workspace, lay out the gasket, the Permatex, etc., on a table nearby, have sufficient lighting, and ensure no interruptions from toddlers, pets, etc.  You probably rushed it the first time.  Good luck!
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Pcody5
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    As long as it works, seals  up, and is sealed down- it’s good to go.  If the permatex oozing out the sides bothers you, cut it off.  

You must have done a great job of bunching.  I just installed my second gasket a few months ago because my original base cracked and I still had about 7-8 inches left over.  

It seems to work...just a lot of orange around - on top most disturbing. I literally didn't cut a centimeter off and almost ran out...had to change my bunching strategy halfway through.
  • Pcody5
    Options
    RRP said:
    Pcody5 said:
    Finally got around to installing my Rutland gasket (waited a good 6 months after getting the kit) and I'm not sure I did it correctly. It looks like a smashed burger with thousand island dressing (orange gasket goo) pressed out on the sides and on the top. I lit a fire in the egg and didn't see any obvious leaks, but I am wondering if all that extra goo might be toxic? Should I bother cutting off the goo for toxicity and/or aesthetics? Also, in terms of the installation, I almost ran out of material when it was supposed to be more than enough. Bunching it back on itself backfired a bit. In the unhappy event that I have to take this one off and do it over, any tips and tricks for getting it right the second time?
    I'm not sure if you bought that from me since several of your comments are clearly again what I recommend doing in the instructions I send. I'm also wondering since people who buy from me normally ask me for assistance. If you want to contact me via a PM on this forum then we can discuss the issue further. BTW today I mailed 10 more gaskets bringing my total up to 4,450.
    Yes, I believe I got it from you and did my best to follow the instructions to the letter...but perhaps I misinterpreted...must have on the bunching.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think Ron recommends more Permatex than is necessary.    Other that that, his instructions were right on.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WesJohnson
    Options
    I got a bit of excess I can send you. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    do the directions say to start the seam dead center in the back, theres more wear and tear there than any place else on the seal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pcody5
    Options
    They do say start at the back center, yes...was wondering about that as my last gasket shrank and separated there. (some kind of self stick stuff, can't remember the brand)
  • Pcody5
    Options
    BTW I am doing my first smoke on it right now (spare ribs) and I don't see any leakage so far. Will be easier to see in winter though.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    RRP said:
    Pcody5 said:
    I'm not sure if you bought that from me since several of your comments are clearly again what I recommend doing in the instructions I send. I'm also wondering since people who buy from me normally ask me for assistance. If you want to contact me via a PM on this forum then we can discuss the issue further. BTW today I mailed 10 more gaskets bringing my total up to 4,450.
    Ron has made 4.6 million dollars off of Rutland gaskets..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Pcody5 said:

That's not as bad as you seemed to think it is! I thought you meant you had applied so much that it had oozed through the fibers and was laying on top! Now that it has cured you can take a utitily knife and just cut off the exposed Permatex if it's bothering you that much. In time it will darken as it is being exposed to lump dust.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pcody5
    Options
    Some did ooze through up top but worse on edges for sure. Saw a little leakage, oddly enough from the more bunched up section but that probably has more to do with the rings placement than the gasket. I hope it doesn't shrink at all or I will have a hole where the ends meet. So far, so good though.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    It will not shrink. And if you see some leakage initially it's no great shakes - the spot(s) leaking means that air escaping is carrying creosote with it and will be self-healing!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Dude, you’re overthinking this. There’s nothing wrong with your install. That Permatex isn’t gonna hurt anything. EGG on!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    Which adhesive did you use?

• Pcody5
    Options
    The high temp gasket stuff that Ron recommends...bought from an auto parts store.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I know this is from early this month. There are some people who make the whole gasket out of just orange Permatex and cook on it. Yours looks fine. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.