Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering about Your local SAMS vs COSTCO

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
I know the overwhelming consensus here is COSTCO over SAMS, but I have another question to pose.

First of all we are now members of both and we do like one over the other for some things.

Ever since COSTCO came into our area it is quite obvious that C has been eating S lunch!

BUT SAMS has been upping its cometition stance by enlarging their store here and upping its meat selection. Now S is offering prime, but has not here before. Also unlike C it is not blade tenderized. BTW I have never understood why C tenderizes its prime...

Today we shopped S and came home with some beautiful ribeyes, NY strips and filets...

My question is has SAMS been upgrading in your area as well, or is that just happening here? I know as a couple shoppers my wife and I are loving this competition mode! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I buy a lot of Prime Angus from my SAMS.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think this all falls back to individual locations. 
    No need to up the game if it's not needed. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Yes our SAMS are upping their game. I would dare say their Prime Steak selections as of late are better than Costco’s. Not sure about the briskets.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Back in January Sam's said they were closing 60 or so of their stores and looking to aim for a bit more wealthy customer base so the upgrades I've read about do seem to indicate they are looking to grab some of the Costco crowd.

I do recall some of the pix that @Focker posted a few months ago of the redone meat counter at his Sam's and did have to admit that it looked rather enticing.

However, I'll always support Costco over Sam's so I don't really care what they do to upgrade my local Sam's. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BugFreak72
    Options
    No Costco within a couple hours of me but Sams has been upping their game here from what I can see. On the weekends they set up little specialty tables that have different product than normal. Usually a decent Prime selection these days too. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Not a Sam's member, and no longer a Costco member either (they've extended access to Commissary/BX to retired Reservists) but I do know from so many examples, that competition will change things in a heartbeat.  
    I think our Founding Fathers knew this....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I haven’t been in a Sams in 10 years.  I think I will swing by one and do some reconnaissance - I’ll report back from Memphis 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Maybe the price war will extend to caskets and urns.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My Sams has been upping the game for past 6 months.  Better pricing, and some really nice prime Angus beef!  Defenitely worth the yearly membership fees!

Sams doesn’t stock caskets, but I do build custom urns in my wood shop!  Doing a couple in black walnut this weekend.
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    We do not have a Sams or Costco. Single Mom and Pops butcher. 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    My Sam's sucks, but they are the only game in town. Closest Costco is 2 hours away 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I can't wonder. Sam's is a 30 minute drive west and Costco is a 45 minute drive east across a state line. Rouse's grocery store is a half mile due south, has reasonable prices, an in house butcher, excellent prices and quality on pork in particular. For the amount saved I can't justify the drive to either member's club. Sam's does have great buys on cheese though and I indulge in it when I drive my Mom to her local Sam's during a visit.
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited September 2018
    Options
    While the meat quality is worthy of consideration, the wife and I take great pride in the prestige associated with being members of an exclusive club. Although I must say, that after the last visit, I'm inclined to believe the membership committee has relaxed the standards somewhat, as we were the only members wearing our blazers.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Am I the only guy who prefers BJ's?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • gonepostal
    Options
    It doesn't really matter which one i go in...i'm usually only stopping for water and TP and i walk out with a $200 buggy. The last time i was in Sams they were setting up a new meat counter and already had a little bit of Wagyu and Berkshire pork. My two stores are probably less than 5 miles apart so it really just comes down to what i need on that given day or weekend. Like you, i'm glad to have the options and the competition...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I refuse to shop at Sam's.  Years ago; probably about 7 or 8; Corporate Walmart tried pass legislation to prevent veterinarians from housing meds (cephalexin, rimadyl) in clinic. They claimed we weren't pharmacists and therefore didnt know what we were doing..legislation made it all the way to the Senate floor before the AVMA killed it
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I have been a Sam's member for about 10 years now.  They have never had prime briskets.  I was there about a month ago and they had prime brisket in the case.  I commented to the meat dept guy that I wished they would carry prime brisket all the time.  He stated we started getting them about 3 months ago, we are always going to carrying them now. If you don't see it in the case just ask us for it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I can't wonder. Sam's is a 30 minute drive west and Costco is a 45 minute drive east across a state line. Rouse's grocery store is a half mile due south, has reasonable prices, an in house butcher, excellent prices and quality on pork in particular. For the amount saved I can't justify the drive to either member's club. Sam's does have great buys on cheese though and I indulge in it when I drive my Mom to her local Sam's during a visit.
    The first and only time I heard of Rouse's was from Bridgett (@Nolaegghead's wonderful wife) this place was amazing! If we had this in my hometown every other store would close including Sam's, Costco, etc.
    Lenoir, N.C.