Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen - initial planning stages (with pics)

Options
So, I have recently gotten the bug and been inspired (due to a complete disaster of a cooking area) to construct an outdoor kitchen. Will be trying to keep this relatively inexpensive so planning on a custom wood table or maybe wood with granite top.

I have an area picked out and sketched out the dimensions.  Currently have a XL and a medium so need to incorporate those obviously. Ordered a Roccbox which will arrive in next few weeks. Also have a natural gas line which is there but hasn’t been used since we moved in 5 years ago.

I was thinking of putting in a small gasser in the 4’ section by the overhang and using the overhang as a potential bar area. Small sink by there to mainly wash hands - this would be without access to sewer so can’t do disposal or anything like that there and still have to figure out how to get water there - either from house or from irrigation system which is right there (what I’m thinking is a better idea).

Also have potential for a fridge and/or kegerator by the bar. Wasn’t planning for an ice maker as they seem to be more hassle than it’s worth and can just get a cooler and fill with ice when needed.

What changes or suggestions would y’all make? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I would put the xl in the corner to maximize counter space. Put the med to the left of the xl.
    Gittin' there...
  • gasman79
    Options
    Thanks. After rearranging the eggs i 100% agree.  I do need them in the corner to be under a vent hood though because the smoke gets bad for SWMBO

Now just need to plan the table
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the results!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kent8621
    Options

I would test drive vent hoods and get as quiet as you can, no wants to hang out around a roaring leaf blower at a bbq.  I like the idea but maybe instead of a vent hood you can put them along the wood slatted wall and let it trickle out the backside there.  you could even leave the XL in the corner and put the medium along that side then you have some prep space on both sides of your eggs.  if the smoke sticks around you could add a small fan to pull the smoke out.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    My random thoughts and .02

Scrap the gasser and put in a flat top griddle. Think about trash management. Do you really need a kegerator? I wouldn’t put the eggs against the house. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Definitely agree, scrap the kegerator.  And trash management is a must. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited September 2018
    Options
    On empty bottles w a kegerator. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gasman79
    Options
    Why the griddle instead of a grill? I couldn’t figure cooking much on a griddle plus i have a natural gas line there already. 

Issue with eggs eggs against the house?

tried the fan route. Issue is it’s loud and doesn’t even capture everything. See first pic. Good idea about test driving vent hoods.