Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Band Design - 1 finger open

Options
I was at my local dealer this week and was told a new BGE band system for L & XL is out that allows you to lift the the dome with one finger.   This is a newer design update since the tabs that were added last year. 

Is this similar to the KJ  airlift system?  Anyone have pics or insights here?   I'm looking forward to upgrading when I can get my hands on one. 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think you have the scoop or your dealer is just wrong.
    The bands on the large were just recently redesigned to be similar in function to the XL Egg. Anything newer would be breaking news.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Those are about a year old and yes you can open them with one finger if you really want to.  They just moved the springs and hinges on the medium and large so they're in the same spots as the XL and XXL.  

KJ airlift is a totally different contraption.  They really needed some new for the big joe as that thing was miserable to open.  It had the same center mounted hinge as the large, plus it's a lot heavier dome to begin with.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I guess that should be incentive for me to put my new bands on.

after a day with the Arge my shoulders ache. Lifting the top is heavy work and not somethin I'm used top doing repetitively. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    I have forgotten a lot of my engineering speak for back in college, but the way it works is this.  The old hinge was a single point mounted hinge so as you lifted it, the CG moved backwards over the point of rotation and thus it got "lighter" the higher you went (since you're moving it more of a perpendicular direction as you reach the apex.  On the new hinge, the dome immediately pivots backwards as you lift, shifting the CG over the hinge point, thus it's a constant force needed to lift the dome to full open.  The only trade off is that it doesn't open as much as it used to......it's 15 inches on a large now (maybe 3-4" less before ), but the bottom lip of the dome is also sitting about 2-3" further back from you than before.  I like it better.
  • palmer2613
    Options
    stlcharcoal - Do you know if the Joetisserie still fits properly with the new large BGE bands?
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    stlcharcoal - Do you know if the Joetisserie still fits properly with the new large BGE bands?
    Good question, but I don't know the answer,  KJ-classic is still hinged from the center, so it might not be a tight fit.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I have forgotten a lot of my engineering speak for back in college, but the way it works is this.  The old hinge was a single point mounted hinge so as you lifted it, the CG moved backwards over the point of rotation and thus it got "lighter" the higher you went (since you're moving it more of a perpendicular direction as you reach the apex.  On the new hinge, the dome immediately pivots backwards as you lift, shifting the CG over the hinge point, thus it's a constant force needed to lift the dome to full open.  The only trade off is that it doesn't open as much as it used to......it's 15 inches on a large now (maybe 3-4" less before ), but the bottom lip of the dome is also sitting about 2-3" further back from you than before.  I like it better.
    WOWSER! Apparently you dodged that recent "BGE bullet" of eliminating dealers! Personally I am very happy for you! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    RRP said:
    WOWSER! Apparently you dodged that recent "BGE bullet" of eliminating dealers! Personally I am very happy for you! 
    Not sure how you would have inferred that.......still axed.  Had all the eggessories picked up last week, and have about 10 eggs packages left to sell.  KJ rep is coming by next week to chat.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings- OK, I will bite. Did I miss something, was there a culling of dealers and if so what was the cause (if anyone knows)?

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I was at my local dealer this week and was told a new BGE band system for L & XL is out that allows you to lift the the dome with one finger.   This is a newer design update since the tabs that were added last year. 

Is this similar to the KJ  airlift system?  Anyone have pics or insights here?   I'm looking forward to upgrading when I can get my hands on one. 

The new band assembly has been out for over a year now but BGE recently upgraded the springs on the Large size. It was easier to open with the new hinge upgrade but the new springs enhance this even more. If you have the new hinge assembly all you will have to do is swap out the springs which is a very inexpensive fix and should be available as a part at your local dealer.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the new hinge on the large egg is getting mixed reviews from our customers. Many don't like the idea that the new hinge does not open the dome as much as the old style hinge.  We have large egg, old and new sitting side-by-side.  Among the ceramic grills class size, the large egg now opens up the least. On ease to open and visual lines, per customers, the KJoe wins. Primo is a distant third.

If you are tall, you may need to step back from the large egg in nest to get a full visual down over the entire cooking area, especially on raised grid cooks. I'm just over 6' and I need to move back a bit for full views.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tamck1
    Options
    Yes, Joetisserie still fits perfectly, at least on my Large.
    L and MM BGEs with JJGeorge tables, Mini BGE with carrier, other charcoal and pellet smokers/grills too numerous to count.
  • Plutonium
    Options
    I have the new LBGE band and didn't really notice the smaller opening until I cooked 4 pork shoulders (2 upstairs and 2 downstairs) on my PSWoo2. I do like the significant improvement to my alignment though
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i saw the KJ with its fancy hinge this weekend.  i was pretty amazed at how easy it is to open and close, and i liked the gasket.  i don't care much about how heavy the BGE lid is to open, but someone who doesn't know the weight (like a kid) can let the thing crash down.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle