Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Chicken Ranch Casserole

Options

Always looking for something different to cook that Duke will eat, I found a recipe for Chicken Ranch Casserole by Damn Delicious. Sounded like a winner, but I wasn't going to cook two boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a skillet. And I had already scored two chickens the day before at the store for $5 a pop. So onto the Egg they go, raised direct at 400.

Once they were done, I boiled up some rotini, made the Alfredo sauce and added the Ranch seasoning that was supposed to go on the chicken into the sauce instead and assembled the casserole

Out of the oven

Well Duke didn't like the "leaves". Or the chicken. Or the bacon. And I had to negotiate with him how many bites of pasta he had to eat before we could go ride bikes. I don't get him sometimes. These are all things he likes. Just not last night. I had two helpings of it, though and I'd definitely eat it again. Oh well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks good, we struggle with a very picky eater as well so I feel your frustration. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Looks delicious!  I’m chuckling at Duke’s selective appetite. We have a child who continues to request a “deconstructed BLT”-loves bacon, lettuce,tomato and bread but refuses to eat it as a sandwich. We gave up....
    IL 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Griffin said:

Always looking for something different to cook that Duke will eat, I found a recipe for Chicken Ranch Casserole by Damn Delicious. Sounded like a winner, but I wasn't going to cook two boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a skillet. And I had already scored two chickens the day before at the store for $5 a pop. So onto the Egg they go, raised direct at 400.

Once they were done, I boiled up some rotini, made the Alfredo sauce and added the Ranch seasoning that was supposed to go on the chicken into the sauce instead and assembled the casserole

Out of the oven

Well Duke didn't like the "leaves". Or the chicken. Or the bacon. And I had to negotiate with him how many bites of pasta he had to eat before we could go ride bikes. I don't get him sometimes. These are all things he likes. Just not last night. I had two helpings of it, though and I'd definitely eat it again. Oh well.

I'm sure trying to understand the logic of a kid is like trying to reason with your better half. It's a coin toss at best.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great from here! My son used to be a picky eater as well. Don't worry- they get over it. Pretty soon he will be a teenager and eat everything in the house that isn't locked away. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That looks very good.  My kids used to hate it when their food toughed.  A casserole could have a kid like that blow a gasket.

Ha.

Thanks for sharing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95