Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 racks of ribs on LBGE w/o rib rack or extender rig?

Options
Cooking three racks of baby backs tomorrow. Can I fit those on the regular surface without using a rack or extender?

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’ve always had to use a v-rack with 3+ slabs.  

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Stand them stand them on end and run a skewer thru all three in two places.  No problem 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Stand them stand them on end and run a skewer thru all three in two places.  No problem 
    Stand them stand them.  Redundant Redundant.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options

Would uou mind posting a picture ? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,567
    Options
    @510BG can find my photo, stole this from the interweb

canuckland
  • 510BG
    Options

Thank you. I'm going to try this or sell my egg I can't see to master cooking on a big green egg. It's been a frustrating journey. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    rib rack at home depot is only about 10 bucks, then you can do 6 or 7 racks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 510BG
    Options
    Cost and space add up. I'm sure most people here have spent $500-600 on  accessories for the  egg. I also don't see myself cooking more than 3 racks myself. 
  • fishlessman
    edited September 2018
    Options
    510BG said:
    Cost and space add up. I'm sure most people here have spent $500-600 on  accessories for the  egg. I also don't see myself cooking more than 3 racks myself. 
    the skewrs will work but the rack allows you to flip and rotate the racks, makes it easier not to overcook the outside ones and easier to sauce. you can also roll ribs and skewer like this
    Image result for roll ribs for bbq

also, do you have a roasting rack in the kitchen, most can be used upsidown for ribs or two ribs leaning on edge with one across the middle
    fukahwee maine

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @fishlessman, is that an 18" or 22"?  That's an impressive amount of ribs rolled on the top rack.  It looks like there are more on the bottom too.  Awesome.

EDIT: I now see the copyright in the corner, picture from google.  Still cool.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    510BG said:

Thank you. I'm going to try this or sell my egg I can't see to master cooking on a big green egg. It's been a frustrating journey. 
    you not believe how often we hear this "can't" sentiment from folks. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman, is that an 18" or 22"?  That's an impressive amount of ribs rolled on the top rack.  It looks like there are more on the bottom too.  Awesome.

EDIT: I now see the copyright in the corner, picture from google.  Still cool.
    yeah, thats a stolen pic ;) this ones mine, a ten dollar rack on top and a homemade one below

Image result for ribs 2 levels fishlessman

fukahwee maine

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    510BG said:

Assuming the 510 in your name is an area code, where in 510 are you at?  I’m in 925 but I’m regularly in 510 visiting friends and family. I could probably meet up with you sometime and walk you through some possible solutions.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    3 bricks and a smaller webber grid

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    510BG said:

Assuming the 510 in your name is an area code, where in 510 are you at?  I’m in 925 but I’m regularly in 510 visiting friends and family. I could probably meet up with you sometime and walk you through some possible solutions.

Classy offer @R2E@R2Egg2Q I hate to see someone give up on an Egg when a little personal instruction and practice should fix the problem.

Your local Walmart should have rib racks for under $12, Turn it one way it holds ribs. Flip it and it holds poultry.

@510BG you should put your location in your signature so that someone locally could  help you out. If you were near me I could loan you a rib rack to try out. I have one but generally use my AR unless I am doing something like 5 or more racks at once.

I buy my protein from Restaurant Depot and their baby backs come 3 slabs to a pack while their St. Louis ribs are 2 to a pack. Not sure about their beef ribs.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• 510BG
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    510BG said:

@r2e@R2Egg2Q

I live in Hayward and I'm often in the 925. I'll send you a PM. I would take you up on your offer. 
  • 510BG
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    510BG said:

Classy offer @R2E@R2Egg2Q I hate to see someone give up on an Egg when a little personal instruction and practice should fix the problem.

Your local Walmart should have rib racks for under $12, Turn it one way it holds ribs. Flip it and it holds poultry.

@510BG you should put your location in your signature so that someone locally could  help you out. If you were near me I could loan you a rib rack to try out. I have one but generally use my AR unless I am doing something like 5 or more racks at once.

I buy my protein from Restaurant Depot and their baby backs come 3 slabs to a pack while their St. Louis ribs are 2 to a pack. Not sure about their beef ribs.

@SaintJohnsEgger I looked under profile and don't see a place to add location. do I add under activity and share?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    510BG said:
    R2Egg2Q said:
    510BG said:

@SaintJohnsEgger I looked under profile and don't see a place to add location. do I add under activity and share?

As far as I know the only way is to put it in your signature.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group