Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket...check.....came out dry...check.

Options
Marinated meat for 24 hrs in the fridge.  Got the egg dialed in at 225, using a Flame Boss 300.  Within 4 hours, my 11 lb brisket was at 170.  Is that normal?  Seemed a tad fast.  It was downhill from there.  I started overthinking everything.  Needless to say, did not impress the family with my culinary skills!  
XLBGE

McKinney, TX

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Marinated meat for 24 hrs in the fridge.  Got the egg dialed in at 225, using a Flame Boss 300.  Within 4 hours, my 11 lb brisket was at 170.  Is that normal?  Seemed a tad fast.  It was downhill from there.  I started overthinking everything.  Needless to say, did not impress the family with my culinary skills!  
    Sorry to hear, what did you marinate with?

did you wrap?  How long did you let rest before slicing?  Did you slice against the grain 
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    Options
    Sorry to hear, what did you marinate with?

did you wrap?  How long did you let rest before slicing?  Did you slice against the grain 
    Mustard and a rub from my grill store.  Yeah, I wrapped it later on.  It rested 2-3 hours.  Honestly the meat got to over 200 within 6 hours.  Something wasn’t right.  Scratching my head. 
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Been there, done that.

Time for brisket chili!
    Gittin' there...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.  Just wondering how was the setup in your egg? 
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Both the dry results and time of cook scream very lean cut. No bueno. Can t make a bad cut a goo d one. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It is possible that your egg was much hotter than the thermometer was reading. I would calibrate it.
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    Options
    Theophan said:
    How about completing the story?  Within 4h it was 170.  Sure, seemed a bit fast, but what happened then???  That's only the beginning of the story.  Probably whatever made it "dry" happened after that.  A few thoughts:
    • I'm not sure it matters a lot, but for what it's worth, many people here find that everything just goes better on a Big Green Egg if the dome temp is at lest 250°.  I know, I know, people who use stick burners often shoot for a lower temp than that, but those are stick burners that have a small but brisk fire making that temperature.  For a Big Green Egg to keep a temperature that low it's NOT a brisk fire, but one that's teetering on the edge of going out.  I'd suggest 250°-275°, but see what others say.  I doubt that this was the problem, though.
    • If the finished meat was falling apart and dry, then yeah, it might have been overcooked.  But if it was still holding together well, and was "tough and dry," it was probably undercooked!  Time and temperature do NOT tell you when it's done.  Only probing it to actually test its tenderness can do that.
    • Many people find that at least a couple of hours of FTC (Foiled, wrapped in Towels, kept warm in lots of towels in the Cooler) really helps with brisket.  But if the brisket is plenty hot inside and is truly completely cooked the way it should be, then FTC-ing it will "cook" it for 2-3 more hours, which might wind up with it being overcooked.  I'll hope someone with lots of experience doing that will say how they try to gauge whether it's ready for FTC or not.  I'm no brisket expert, and I usually try to get them about done before I pull them out of the Egg, and then just let them rest 20 minutes or so without FTC.
    Thanks for all the good info.  

Once my brisket got over 200, I began to panic.  I thought I was going to burn it up and took it off the Egg way too soon.  Wrapped it up and put it in cooler for a few hours.  Checked it again when I got up, and realized it wasn’t close to being done.  Through it back on the egg, and cooked it 4 more hours.  It probably would have been ok if I would have taken it back off after 2-3 hours.  I should have watched it more closely.  You cook and learn!
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.  Just wondering how was the setup in your egg? 
    Filled up with lump charcoal with some pecan mixed in.  Platesetter in with stainless grid in place.  Flame Boss 300 hooked up with pit temp and meat probe set at 225. 
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Theophan said:
    How about completing the story?  Within 4h it was 170.  Sure, seemed a bit fast, but what happened then???  That's only the beginning of the story.  Probably whatever made it "dry" happened after that.  A few thoughts:
    • I'm not sure it matters a lot, but for what it's worth, many people here find that everything just goes better on a Big Green Egg if the dome temp is at lest 250°.  I know, I know, people who use stick burners often shoot for a lower temp than that, but those are stick burners that have a small but brisk fire making that temperature.  For a Big Green Egg to keep a temperature that low it's NOT a brisk fire, but one that's teetering on the edge of going out.  I'd suggest 250°-275°, but see what others say.  I doubt that this was the problem, though.
    • If the finished meat was falling apart and dry, then yeah, it might have been overcooked.  But if it was still holding together well, and was "tough and dry," it was probably undercooked!  Time and temperature do NOT tell you when it's done.  Only probing it to actually test its tenderness can do that.
    • Many people find that at least a couple of hours of FTC (Foiled, wrapped in Towels, kept warm in lots of towels in the Cooler) really helps with brisket.  But if the brisket is plenty hot inside and is truly completely cooked the way it should be, then FTC-ing it will "cook" it for 2-3 more hours, which might wind up with it being overcooked.  I'll hope someone with lots of experience doing that will say how they try to gauge whether it's ready for FTC or not.  I'm no brisket expert, and I usually try to get them about done before I pull them out of the Egg, and then just let them rest 20 minutes or so without FTC.

Once my brisket got over 200, I began to panic.  I thought I was going to burn it up and took it off the Egg way too soon.  Wrapped it up and put it in cooler for a few hours.  Checked it again when I got up, and realized it wasn’t close to being done.  Through it back on the egg, and cooked it 4 more hours.  It probably would have been ok if I would have taken it back off after 2-3 hours.  I should have watched it more closely.  You cook and learn!
    Were your temp probes in the thickest part of the flat?  

@lousubcap keeps reminding us that the meat drives the cook so it could certainly rise to 170* within 4 hours.  Did it hit the stall at that time or did it not stop for the stall?  If it didn't stop for the stall then I'd think that it was the brisket itself... a lean cut like @pgprescott suggested.

Don't let this one cook discourage you.  Use the meat for chili.  Like someone said above - make sure your dome is dialed in and correct.  We've all had a brisket go sideways on us at one time or another.  Plus, we all have our kryptonite.  Mine is ribs.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    MeanGreenEggofNTX Posts: 15
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Theophan said:

@lousubcap keeps reminding us that the meat drives the cook so it could certainly rise to 170* within 4 hours.  Did it hit the stall at that time or did it not stop for the stall?  If it didn't stop for the stall then I'd think that it was the brisket itself... a lean cut like @pgprescott suggested.

Don't let this one cook discourage you.  Use the meat for chili.  Like someone said above - make sure your dome is dialed in and correct.  We've all had a brisket go sideways on us at one time or another.  Plus, we all have our kryptonite.  Mine is ribs.  
    No it wasn’t.  I had it in the point.  Maybe that was my problem?
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Theophan said:

Sounds like the fat got over-rendered sitting in the cooler, before you broke down the connective tissue getting to the final temp. That oil and juice you had pooled up in the cooler foil should have been along for the ride.
    Gittin' there...
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Theophan said:

What works for *me* is that I put a probe in the thickest part of the flat and another probe in the next thickest part.  The point typically has so much fat that I don't bother with it until the flat temps start getting in to the 185*-190* range and then I just start probing until there's no resistance or it has that "buttah" feeling.

Everyone has their own way of getting to the finish line, but I think we all agree that once the brisket gets to 185-190, it goes until it feels done.  That might mean that it goes to 200 or if you have a SRF brisket, it could be done at 185.

TBH, I really don't know what the point from my briskets temp out at once the flat is done.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @MeanGreenEggofNTX - No maybe's about it.  The point has a higher fat content than the flat so pay no attention to what's happening with it.  It generally runs hotter than the flat but due to the fat, it doesn't matter.  The brisket finish-line key is how it probes in the thick part of the flat.  Once you get the feels like "buttah" in that area, declare victory.  This usually happens around 200-206*F (but the temp is only a guide).  And don't worry if some of the flat isn't there yet as the great majority rules.  Once there, pull and give it a good 20 minute or so cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cooking.  Then FTC til time to slice on demand (cross grain).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I read somewhere that Mixon checks temps in the point, but waits for something like 212ish?
    Gittin' there...
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Stoogie said:
    Theophan said:

What works for *me* is that I put a probe in the thickest part of the flat and another probe in the next thickest part.  The point typically has so much fat that I don't bother with it until the flat temps start getting in to the 185*-190* range and then I just start probing until there's no resistance or it has that "buttah" feeling.

Everyone has their own way of getting to the finish line, but I think we all agree that once the brisket gets to 185-190, it goes until it feels done.  That might mean that it goes to 200 or if you have a SRF brisket, it could be done at 185.

TBH, I really don't know what the point from my briskets temp out at once the flat is done.
    Thank you for the tip.  I think y’all have figured it out for me.  
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • MeanGreenEggofNTX
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @MeanGreenEggofNTX - No maybe's about it.  The point has a higher fat content than the flat so pay no attention to what's happening with it.  It generally runs hotter than the flat but due to the fat, it doesn't matter.  The brisket finish-line key is how it probes in the thick part of the flat.  Once you get the feels like "buttah" in that area, declare victory.  This usually happens around 200-206*F (but the temp is only a guide).  And don't worry if some of the flat isn't there yet as the great majority rules.  Once there, pull and give it a good 20 minute or so cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cooking.  Then FTC til time to slice on demand (cross grain).  FWIW-
    Thanks Brother!
    XLBGE

McKinney, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, so I'll just move to the side and listen to them!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @MeanGreenEggofNTX - Just sent you a PM to do with as you wish.  (Hint-brisket cook info  ;) )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I don’t think you were too far from done at 200. Throwing it back on the egg for 4 more hours is likely what dried it out.  That caused the meat to release its juices when it heated up again. Just my $0.02. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE