Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Youngest age to use BGE?

Options
2»

Comments

• distanceman
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    SonVolt said:
    Without your supervision? Unless your wife is well versed in using a Kamado I'd say 14+. 
    This. "Helping" is one thing, but completely unsupervised is entirely different. No child that young has the maturity level or cognitive ability to deal with cooking equipment that can hit 1000+ degrees if things go south. That's a nasty hospital bill and home owners insurance claim waiting to happen, if not worse. I don't mean to be grim, but c'mon.
    You probably should go back and read for context before you jump to conclusions. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • distanceman
    Options
    blasting said:

Whatever age you think, +2.

Thanks, and good input.
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    SonVolt said:
    Without your supervision? Unless your wife is well versed in using a Kamado I'd say 14+. 
    This. "Helping" is one thing, but completely unsupervised is entirely different. No child that young has the maturity level or cognitive ability to deal with cooking equipment that can hit 1000+ degrees if things go south. That's a nasty hospital bill and home owners insurance claim waiting to happen, if not worse. I don't mean to be grim, but c'mon.
    You probably should go back and read for context before you jump to conclusions. 

You weren't exactly clear so I'd cut him some slack.  I read it as "what age can a kid be trusted with a Kamado while I'm out of town". 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Powak said:
    When my daughter was 4 and we went into our local BGE dealer she saw a mini and said “daddy that’s the perfect egg for me. Can you get one and show me how to cook on it someday?”
    Funny you mention that. Someday was yesterday! Let's see that new mini!  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I wouldn't take parental advice from anyone here.  Do what you think is best, you are the parent.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Still working his way up to a real grill, animal crackers work for now.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Powak said:
    When my daughter was 4 and we went into our local BGE dealer she saw a mini and said “daddy that’s the perfect egg for me. Can you get one and show me how to cook on it someday?”
    Funny you mention that. Someday was yesterday! Let's see that new mini!  ;)
    Heheheh. I know I’ve gotta convince SWMBO she “needs” a small.
  • thunderbird
    Options
    Every child is different but have you watched Master Chef Jr. ever? Makes me look like a fool what those kids can do sometimes!
    OKC
    Large Egg & MiniMax
    Yoder YS460

• Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Kids that age can definitely start to learn the steps and the measures you take to keep it safe.  You can judge how much they do solo by how they do as you teach them.  All kids a different.  My oldest boys do their own laundry and that started at age 4.  At 4 they don't know everything but by 6 they mastered the bulk of it.  Good luck with the time away.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA