Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear

Options
I have watched Malcolm Reeds video on doing cowboy tomahawks reverse sear and he says take to 110-115 then sear 2mins..turn 90deg..sear another 2mins then repeat on other side. Everytime I do this the steaks are pretty much med well to well done. Is doing 30sec to 1min sear enough to get the crust?

Comments

• Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Take em to 105 and then sear.  That should give you a rarer steak.

Is rarer a word?
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    agree with the 30 sec per side I go till about 110 then 30 sec rotate 30 sec then flip and repeat
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I take mine to 125F and it never goes beyond a perfect medium-rare of 130F after searing.

1) 2 minutes is way too long to sear before flipping, much less 4 minutes if you include the rotation.

2) Flip every ~30 seconds, repeatedly, until you're happy with the crust.  Frequent flipping helps prevent the intense heat from pushing too far into the center on a single side. 

Forget about the 90 degree rotation and grill marks. Grill marks are a visual gimmick and sign that the rest of the surface isn't seared properly. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Ok..thanks. I'm gonna give 30 sec a go!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    sear with lid up to avoid internal cooking or sear earlier, either way you now know what to do
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    I have watched Malcolm Reeds video on doing cowboy tomahawks reverse sear and he says take to 110-115 then sear 2mins..turn 90deg..sear another 2mins then repeat on other side. Everytime I do this the steaks are pretty much med well to well done. Is doing 30sec to 1min sear enough to get the crust?
    What temps your egg running at for the sear?
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    For us, our sweet spot is 117 IT and then flip, flip, flip on about 600*. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    4 minutes/side is ridiculous for a sear.  Doesn't matter what the temperature is, If the meat has already been raised to the internal temp you want, that's way too long just to sear.

I usually sear at 600°-650°, and about ONE minute per side.  I get a great sear, and very nearly edge-to-edge medium-rare meat in the interior.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I too go to 105, no more. That way I insure that I can keep them on long enough to get a good char and not go past med. rare. 

The majority of pics of reverse sear steaks on here were of steaks done medium, lately they have been more medium rare.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    A Ribeye at 105F is pretty chewy and unpleasant IMO. It needs to hit close to 130F to render the fat properly.  For leaner cuts i'll pull closer to 110F. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Powak said:
    fishindoc said:
    Probably about 600?
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Thanks everyone...headed to Sam's today to get me a couple Tomahawks and try again!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Are you resting the steak between roasting and searing?  How long?  
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Legume said:
    Are you resting the steak between roasting and searing?  How long?  
    Well..I'd say by the time I get the grill heated up probably 10 mins
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Powak said:
    fishindoc said:
    Who knows?  Lots of radiant heat with the dome open makes the temp at the dome pretty much meaningless.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.