Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mopping liquid ideas - comments encouraged

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I did a rack of Memphis style dry ribs this weekend. Rather than my usual sauce and paper wrap, I just mopped with a mix of apple juice, vinegar, rib rub, and oil. They turned out great. Next time I may add applesauce and crushed pineapple to the liquid to thicken it up a bit. Anyone tried that?  Puréed peaches sound like a good call too. Interested in your experiments. 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    edited August 2018
    Options
    One of my favorite things to use is apple butter. Such a great compliment to a spicy rub, and something different to standard BBQ sauce. It's been a hit at our house. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,305
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Scantron said:
    One of my favorite things to use is apple butter. Such a great compliment to a spicy rub, and something different to standard BBQ sauce. It's been a hit at our house. 
    Totally OT, but this reminds me of an expression my uncle used to laugh about - “you don’t know s**t from apple butter!”
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A it in town used to use pineapple in theirs, just the juice. For a couple of years, they were considered the best in town.

Its a bit of a fuss, but run onions thru a blender, and strain the juice out. I liked it quite a bit.

Also, try different vinegars and oils. For instance, there is an Asian brand of peanut oil that tastes like roasted peanuts. That's really nice. I've tried sherry vinegar a couple of times. While the results were good, it cost to much for a mop.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I did a rack of Memphis style dry ribs this weekend. Rather than my usual sauce and paper wrap, I just mopped with a mix of apple juice, vinegar, rib rub, and oil. They turned out great. Next time I may add applesauce and crushed pineapple to the liquid to thicken it up a bit. Anyone tried that?  Puréed peaches sound like a good call too. Interested in your experiments. 
    2 cups of apple juice w/ 1 20oz can of apple pie filling w/ 2 cups of baby rays sweet and spicy.

all blended together to make a slurry.

Mop and enjoy...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga