Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Ramp-up

Options
I did a rack of turbo BB Ribs yesterday. I cleaned the egg and loaded the KA basket with RW, on top of the leftover RW lump that was already in it. It was the bottom of the bag so a lot of small pieces went in, along with some fines. I got it stabilized at 350-ish and put the rack on for its 100 min. About 80 min in the temp started ramping up without any adjustment on my part. I started closing vents, both top and bottom, to keep it under 370.  The cook turned out fine, but why would the temp start rising after almost 2 hrs of stability? Where those fines restricting airflow thru the lump and when they burned it opened the fuel up for more air?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Most likely a change in airflow to the fire - your theory about the blocked airflow seems good.  Assume you did not have water in a drip pan that went dry?  Was there a change in wind conditions that might have caused more airflow?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    No water in the drip pan, and the wind was reasonably steady during the cook.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR