Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Question :How long for an 11pound boneless butt

Greetings from the UK

Simple question how l9ng for an 11 pound boneless butt, assuming 230f on the egg.

I have a 12 hour window.

I would prefer not to crutch it.

kind regards 

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2018
    Oh there are no simple questions in the Egghead Forum. You should be glad it's not Friday.

Some guys will want wind speed, wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure, ambient temp, lump, starting method.....
  • Kmm
    Kmm Posts: 54
    I appreciate that there are many variables , ball park will do 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2018
    If you increase the temp to 265-275f, you'll probably be good in 10 or so hours. There will be no difference over cooking at 225-230f. You can always bump the temp up to 325-350f after 8 hours or so if your stall period is lasting longer than expected. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2018
    Just kidding. 1 1/2hr per lb at that temp. Ballpark
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Agree with @Eggcelsior above
    Way better to finish early. Can rest foiled in a cooler for 3 hours at least, and still be to hot to pull/shred by hand.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Hi, where are you in the UK? Lincolnshire here.

With a 12 hour window I would be looking at well over 230F, the stall lasts forever that low. Around 300F and then you can FTC if it's ready a bit early.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    235 degrees will be closer to 20 hours, follow eggcelsior's advice. at the 8 to 9 hour mark you can increase or decrease temps as needed.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kmm
    Eoin said:

With a 12 hour window I would be looking at well over 230F, the stall lasts forever that low. Around 300F and then you can FTC if it's ready a bit early.
    FTC ?  Kent 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018

Sorry, forgot you are in the UK and may not know the lingo yet.
    Foil, Towel, Cooler. Basically once its done you can Wrap it in Aluminum Foil, Throw an old Towel over it to keep it insulated and put it in an Ice Chest type cooler until you are ready to pull/shred it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kmm
    If you increase the temp to 265-275f, you'll probably be good in 10 or so hours. There will be no difference over cooking at 225-230f. You can always bump the temp up to 325-350f after 8 hours or so if your stall period is lasting longer than expected. 

So the higher temperature seems contrary to the “low and slow “ mantra ?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2018
    Kmm said:

With Pork butts you have more play than you would say a Brisket. There is so much fat in a pork butt that you can easily go to those higher temps without the risk of drying out.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I usually cook butt/shoulder at 275F and plan for about 1 hour per pound.  It can vary a bit, so give yourself a little cushion and be prepared to bump the temp if needed as @Eggcelsior suggested.  And it does benefit having a rest of an hour or more after taking off the egg.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • fishlessman
    Kmm said:

theres alot more leeway with temps cooking in a ceramic cooker than in a traditional metal cooker, alot less airflowing thru
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    just to throw this out there, is this in cryovac,  ive never seen an 11 pound boneless butt, not that it does not exist but alot of the times 2 are cryovaced together and look like one
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Kmm said:

With 12 hours you've not got time to run at a really low temp.
  • Eoin
    Kmm said:
    Eoin said:

FTC ?  Kent 
    Welcome, there are a few of us on here regularly.
  • Photo Egg
    Kmm said:

If it takes you 15 minutes to walk to work at normal pace and you need to be there in 10 minutes...you walk faster.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    just to throw this out there, is this in cryovac,  ive never seen an 11 pound boneless butt, not that it does not exist but alot of the times 2 are cryovaced together and look like one

Really? We have 10-12lb cryovacs here all the time. Most of them are around 7pounds but I see the 10-12 pound ones fairly regularly.

• fishlessman

Really? We have 10-12lb cryovacs here all the time. Most of them are around 7pounds but I see the 10-12 pound ones fairly regularly.
    the bigger boneless butts dont seem to make it north much for whatever reason. neither do descent briskets. in 20 years ive seen one boneless butt over 9 pounds and ive always asked for the biggest one they have
    fukahwee maine

• Kmm

Sorry, forgot you are in the UK and may not know the lingo yet.
    Foil, Towel, Cooler. Basically once its done you can Wrap it in Aluminum Foil, Throw an old Towel over it to keep it insulated and put it in an Ice Chest type cooler until you are ready to pull/shred it.

FTC ! got it ! I will be dropping that into the convo with my BGE mates
  • Kmm
    Not sure what Cryovac is but it’s one butt, no bone, 5kgs , which is unusual as they are normally 3.5 kgs which is 7 pound ish in old money . Can’t believe you guys flew to the moon and you still use those crazy old imperial weights and measures
  • fishlessman
    Kmm said:
    Not sure what Cryovac is but it’s one butt, no bone, 5kgs , which is unusual as they are normally 3.5 kgs which is 7 pound ish in old money . Can’t believe you guys flew to the moon and you still use those crazy old imperial weights and measures
    im sticking with imperial pints for life =)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I do mine at ±320°F. An 8 lb butt will start at 9-10A and finish by 5-6P. No wrap, no foil, no cooler.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• That is a lot of butt for 12hrs
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Kmm said:
    Cryo is the thicker plastic vacuum packaging normally done at the processing plant. (first photo)

Compared to normal grocery store packing in second photo.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,163
    Now about that wind direction.......JKOC....good luck with your butt.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Kmm
    Photo Egg said:
    Kmm said:
    Cryo is the thicker plastic vacuum packaging normally done at the processing plant. (first photo)

Compared to normal grocery store packing in second photo.

It was the latter
  • Kmm
    Kmm said:
    We still drink in pints , there are limits after all !
  • fishlessman
    Kmm said:
    Kmm said:
    We still drink in pints , there are limits after all !
    but isnt it easier to add up the little 400ml aussie glasses ;) we did away with the shortie glasses years ago but they screwed us with 16 ounce pints
    fukahwee maine