Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled rack lamb.

Options
Rack of lamb is ready to grill with plenty of fresh herbs coated on the outside. How do I grill the racks and get that chard look without burning the herbs. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,555
    Options
    I grill racks at gasket level direct at around 350-375*F.  I make a paste with chopped garlic, rosemary and some thyme with no issues.
    If yours are heavily coated you  could likely go indirect to create the oven atmosphere but absent a pic of the quantity of herbs at play here it is tough to provide anything of substance.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • atltire
    atltire Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. Is there anybody out there that can help?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Looks like a lot of herbs but I'd still go direct 350-375 and keep an eye on it.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,655
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’d go indirect at 300 till IT is about 135, rest about 5-10 minutes, then sear in very hot cast iron skillet. 

Edit - on second thought, I may not sear - it may burn your herbs.  I’d Probably take a look after  IT is close to desired, if it looks like it needs more color on the outside, I’d move it direct for a bit. 

Should get you to about medium - adjust IT based on your taste
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • atltire
    Options
    Thanks for all thanks for all the great comments. This is why the forum is still #1!!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the pic-yes that is a heavy load of herbs.  Even with that I would go raised direct and flip around every 3-5 minutes til done.  I pull mine at 130*F.  You can add back the herbs that did not stay attached to the rack the last five minutes or so for color and a fresh look.  FWIW-
    Regardless of where you land rack of lamb is a great cook.  Enjoy the cook and eats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's a load of herbs.  Most will end up "blackened" during the cook.  I agree with the raised, direct suggestions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Like others have said, herbs will burn. You need to decide what you want your final product to look like before you season. Do you want a nice char/crust or do you want a great herb coating. With all the fresh herbs I would go raised, indirect around 350-375. Try not to flip it around to let your herbs set up.Rotate/spin your cooking grid, avoid flipping your ribs.
    They will be awesome. Both styles of cooking are great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • atltire
    Options
    Would it be better, if I remove some of the herbs. Is there such a thing as “too much herbs?”
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    atltire said:
    Would it be better, if I remove some of the herbs. Is there such a thing as “too much herbs?”
    I would cook as is. Then you will know if it's to much for you and adjust in the future.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • atltire
    Options
    Thank you again. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    atltire said: Is there such a thing as “too much herbs?”
    I'm typically a "if X is good then more X is better" guy but I've learned over time that dialing back has it's place.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m gonna be the first to say go low and slow indirect around 250ish until the IT you want.  Let it cook slow and get happy and the outside will be sexy too.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looks like way to much herbage to me. Overwhelming. Typically an herb crust is achieved by mixing with bread crumbs and applying to a dijon smeared rack and cooked hot. 450 indirect. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited August 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Looks like way to much herbage to me. Overwhelming. Typically an herb crust is achieved by mixing with bread crumbs and applying to a dijon smeared rack and cooked hot. 450 indirect. 
    I don't disagree, but it's all about learning what you like and what you would do to make it better to your liking next time. I would sure like to see him finish the cook he has started. He will still loose alot of herbs during the cook and cutting. I bet no matter what, it will still be very good.
    I started cooking mine this way years ago but prefer just a good dry rub with some good caramelization and char. The lamb speaks for itself.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    You owe us an update.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @atltire Bump... as above, any results??
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    We can bump this till Friday...You don't want that to happen.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Getting closer to Friday
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The suspense is slowly building  ;)
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Bump. 

#lamblivesmatter

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Bump as it is now Friday...
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    It’s Friday. 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Somebody’s done fished this pond out. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I would offer that the OP has had herbal withdrawal and is now running submerged and undetected-planning to never surface again. 
    I have been wrong before but every so often we get a one-hit request, provide lots of useful suggestions and then they ride off into the sunset with no feed-back.  The feed-back is the key to making it better for the next go-round.  But sometimes "One Way is the only Way"  and that is a sad commentary.  Perhaps I am wrong...