Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age with Mini Fridge

Options
I have been on the lookout for a mini fridge, beer fridge at least big enough to dry age a hunk of beef.
Problem with most mini fridges, luckily I discovered before wasting time, money and making myself sick, is fridge temps. Most mini fridges do not get cold enough. Seems like most only get down to low 40s. More designed to be a drink cooler.

Found this "How to" and it was very good. I have no expertise but I do question his dry aging temp of 40 degrees in a mini fridge. This is higher than any other source I have seen. And he dogs the dry aging bags. This is another completely different topic. I know the Author is very respected in his field.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

I picked up a Summit FF1843BCSSADA Fridge this weekend. Has some light scratches but it has never been used. Claims a temp setting down to 36 degrees and it does have internal fan. It's very high quality but also fairly small. And has external display for fridge temp.

Here is a link.
https://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/FF1843BCSSADA

For those of you who have experience dry aging in mini fridge, what's your advice/tips?

Thanks for your help.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• abtaylor260
    Options
    The only thing I worry about with the small beer or wine cooler fridges are the quality of components. And I looked at the prices for the summit, you can get a decent full size fridge for the same price. Even a newer used one. 

If you are limited on space however they do look nice. I read a few reviews and they were either really good or really bad. Not sure what to make of that...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The only thing I worry about with the small beer or wine cooler fridges are the quality of components. And I looked at the prices for the summit, you can get a decent full size fridge for the same price. Even a newer used one. 

If you are limited on space however they do look nice. I read a few reviews and they were either really good or really bad. Not sure what to make of that...
    I really did not find many bad reviews on this model although any company can have a dud slip out the door.
    I was trying to stay small and I would never paid even close to retail for a fridge this small but the price was excellent, less than $300 out the door. Had to give it a try.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • abtaylor260
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I really did not find many bad reviews on this model although any company can have a dud slip out the door.
    I was trying to stay small and I would never paid even close to retail for a fridge this small but the price was excellent, less than $300 out the door. Had to give it a try.
    Def. worth a try! let me know how it works out. I really liked the one with the glass door, that way you can look at the meat without opening the fridge. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    never did it but having a fan is not like the traditional dorm fridge with the freezer hanging on top. i would say its good to go, maybe jump start getting the meat cold in the larger fridge but not sure thats even necessary
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Def. worth a try! let me know how it works out. I really liked the one with the glass door, that way you can look at the meat without opening the fridge. 
    My goal was initially glass door model as well. If this works out and i stick with it, my next one will be larger with glass entertainment door.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Hi Darian,

I have a kegerator that I no longer use for it's original purpose and when I got into using the DryBag system back in 2012, I tried using it for dry aging.  It can easily get down to 28 degrees and I found that it would simply freeze the meat, regardless of any adjustments I made.  I gave up on using it for dry aging, and since I'm single and childless, have used my regular fridge without incident.  If the fridge you want to use can get down to 36 degrees, you should give it a shot.  You just need to keep the temps between 36-38.  You can also buy RV fans, which are inexpensive and greatly improve air flow.

I've been using the DryBag system since 2012 and have yielded good results.  I would suggest you give it a try in addition to trying "going commando", as they put it.  See which one works best for you.  Here's a whole tenderloin subprimal I aged for 45 days using the DryBag system:

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I want to try the fish sauce method. Happened on an article recently about a way to supposedly "age" a steak (not a sub primal, just single steaks). Something to do with the chemical reaction of meat when exposed to fish sauce. Apparently, this was started by Modernist Cuisine and has spread a bit. One article I read said to brush on fish sauce, vac seal or zip lock for three days, then take it out of the bag and wrap in cheesecloth for three more days. Then cook as desired.

Another article said that the three cheesecloth days were unnecessary. Just three days with fish sauce and cook.

I have not tried this. Cheaper (and quicker) than a new fridge though. =)

https://modernistcuisine.com/2013/06/great-grilling-with-3-tricks-to-tender-tasty-beef/

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-aged-grilled-rib-eyes

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/age-your-steaks-with-fish-sauce-and-koji-1825934538

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    edited August 2018
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Hi Darian,

I have a kegerator that I no longer use for it's original purpose and when I got into using the DryBag system back in 2012, I tried using it for dry aging.  It can easily get down to 28 degrees and I found that it would simply freeze the meat, regardless of any adjustments I made.  I gave up on using it for dry aging, and since I'm single and childless, have used my regular fridge without incident.  If the fridge you want to use can get down to 36 degrees, you should give it a shot.  You just need to keep the temps between 36-38.  You can also buy RV fans, which are inexpensive and greatly improve air flow.

I've been using the DryBag system since 2012 and have yielded good results.  I would suggest you give it a try in addition to trying "going commando", as they put it.  See which one works best for you.  Here's a whole tenderloin subprimal I aged for 45 days using the DryBag system:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed reply with photos.
    I have a couple of the bags already. Lack of planning with space in my kitchen fridge has stopped me from trying in the past. I understand they are not needed but I like the idea of them slowing down the drying process. Most home fridges have less humidity than dedicated dry aging room. In my mind, the bags might help provide a more uniform result before the outer crust turns to rock.lol
    Thanks again
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smokingal
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed reply with photos.
    I have a couple of the bags already. Lack of planning with space in my kitchen fridge has stopped me from trying in the past. I understand they are not needed but I like the idea of them slowing down the drying process. Most home fridges have less humidity than dedicated dry aging room. In my mind, the bags might help provide a more uniform result before the outer crust turns to rock.lol
    Thanks again
    No problem and happy to help.  I have to use an entire shelf in my fridge for dry aging, so I fully understand why most people would not choose to do so.  I would encourage you to use RV fans in your small fridge.  The humidity will be low, but the fans and a dialed in temp will help with the drying process.  The pics of the tenderloin don't really showcase just how little I needed to trim it.  Umai Dry recommends something like 4-5 days for a tenderloin.  I took it it 45 days, sans any fans, and all that ended up getting trimmed was the outer peel.  The cuticle that formed on the meaty surface was very thin.

Just for giggles, here's a prime ribeye subprimal I ended up dry aging for two years.  I just kind of forgot about it and when I would remember, I had no time to mess with it.  It kind of became a part of the fridge.  I ended up giving it away to a chef, so I have no idea what became of it.  It smelled like cheese when I cut into it.  Just pure cheese.  Not unpleasant by any means, but no discerning aroma of beef or even meat:

Arteflame grill grate

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    A moot point now since you have already bought a fridge but someone else looking for a fridge to age beef might want to consider one of these:

Apparently Kingsford has bought out the Steakager folks that started via Kickstarter a few years ago.

The introductory prices aren't bad and something like their "30" model I could easily place on a shelf of the rack that holds a lot of my other infrequently used kitchen appliances.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Let us know what happens @Photo Egg. I started this project last fall and abandoned it. Couldn’t get reliable temps and had problems getting a little fan working in it. I’m curious to see what redneck engineering feat y’all come up with. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    A moot point now since you have already bought a fridge but someone else looking for a fridge to age beef might want to consider one of these:

Apparently Kingsford has bought out the Steakager folks that started via Kickstarter a few years ago.

The introductory prices aren't bad and something like their "30" model I could easily place on a shelf of the rack that holds a lot of my other infrequently used kitchen appliances.

I also found this. I like that you can set your temp. No temp info on the Steakager but the price point is much better.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/STEAK-LOCKER-DRY-AGING-FRIDGE/2614761.uts?productVariantId=5474181&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04975450&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrThxnO8bwsehYS1bm3Un6QfuUEqFAEzzWqIdrmgLgez15ToyZKM9u_URoCb98QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Let us know what happens @Photo Egg. I started this project last fall and abandoned it. Couldn’t get reliable temps and had problems getting a little fan working in it. I’m curious to see what redneck engineering feat y’all come up with. 
    I remember your posts. I was expecting good news from you. 
    Being from Minnesota, don't expect a lot of redneck ingenuity on my part.
    I figure at worst I have bought a real nice beer fridge for about the same price as the big box store crap. Ha Ha
    As soon as I get it in place I will load it up with a couple 12 packs and see how well it holds temps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Photo Egg said:

Thanks again
    No problem and happy to help.  I have to use an entire shelf in my fridge for dry aging, so I fully understand why most people would not choose to do so.  

Just for giggles, here's a prime ribeye subprimal I ended up dry aging for two years.  I just kind of forgot about it and when I would remember, I had no time to mess with it.  It kind of became a part of the fridge.  I ended up giving it away to a chef, so I have no idea what became of it.  It smelled like cheese when I cut into it.  Just pure cheese.  Not unpleasant by any means, but no discerning aroma of beef or even meat:

Just for giggles...2 years...You win!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Sent email about temps.
    Got fast reply...

"Darian,
    Out proprietary algorithm maintains a temperature range of 34-39 degrees eliminating the need for a manual temperature control.

Eric Eisenbud
    Executive Chef
    Social Media Manager
    Specialty BBQ & Retail Sales Manager- Northeast

The Steakager 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HeavyG said:

that kingsford logo on the front glass would drive me nutz, they need to rethink that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:

that kingsford logo on the front glass would drive me nutz, they need to rethink that =)
    I agree.lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Hey Darian,

Thought this might help you. I don't have any experience with dry aging meat, but I picked up an Inkbird ITC 308 controller and a Danby 4.4 cubic inch fridge for fermenting beer in. Usually I just do ales at around 65 degrees, but I have done a few lagers. I kept a Czech Pilsner at 34 degrees +/- 1 with this combo for about a month. You plug the fridge into the controller and the controller into the wall. The controller will kick the fridge on and off and maintain temperatures within +/-1 degree F. There's also a plug in for heating, but I don't use it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTNL4DE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MO6V9CQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, now that I think about it, I did take the shelf of the freezer on top and bent it back to the back of the freezer so it was no longer a fridge and freezer divided, but just one unit.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My beermeister single keg kegerator is digitally controlled down to 32 degrees and comes with a couple shelves to use it as a fridge also. It has way more room and can be used as a kegerator when not aging meat and it’s half the cost. https://www.beermeister.com/kegerators/residential/single-tower-with-stainless-door-value-line.html
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Lit said:
    My beermeister single keg kegerator is digitally controlled down to 32 degrees and comes with a couple shelves to use it as a fridge also. It has way more room and can be used as a kegerator when not aging meat and it’s half the cost. https://www.beermeister.com/kegerators/residential/single-tower-with-stainless-door-value-line.html
    Nice. That is much bigger. At $270 out the door I took a chance on the little Summit. If it does not work out I'm fairly sure I can flip it and make a little money and buy something else. Lots of good ideas on this post already.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited August 2018
    Options
    D- i tried dry aging in my mini fridge.  the front panel has a digital temp display that i set to 36.  the meat rotted.  i think the temps didn't hold low enough.  i also probably didn't keep the bottom dry enough - i should have had it up on a rack.  you might want to put an accurate temp probe in a glass of water in the fridge and watch it for at least a few days to see if it really holds the temp where you think it does.

@smokingal the 2 year dry age is amazing!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    blind99 said:
    D- i tried dry aging in my mini fridge.  the front panel has a digital temp display that i set to 36.  the meat rotted.  i think the temps didn't hold low enough.  i also probably didn't keep the bottom dry enough - i should have had it up on a rack.  you might want to put an accurate temp probe in a glass of water in the fridge and watch it for at least a few days to see if it really holds the temp where you think it does.

Great info. Yes, agree, must be on a rack.
    Did you have any kind of a fan inside your fridge to move the air?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smokingal
    edited August 2018
    Options
    blind99 said:

Lol.  I actually wet aged it first in its cryovac bag for 50 days prior to placing it in the Drybag.  After it hit 200 days of dry aging, I just put it out of my mind.  I do not recommend that anyone do this.  It was supposed to be a 120 day dry age that totally got away from me.
    Arteflame grill grate

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A couple of years ago, our office manager ordered a new mini fridge (single door, small freezer on top) because the older one wouldn't cool properly. Told  him to stick the old one in my office. 

The problem was that people wouldn't shut the door properly, so ice built up around the freezer unit. Then the door would shut because of the ice. And nobody bothered to defrost it. Once it was defrosted, it held temp at 37F consistently. 

I dry age a 3-bone prime rib from HEB in it when they are on sale later in the year. Turns out pretty good. No extra fans or anything. I do have an analog fridge thermometer inside, so I can check that it's keeping the right temp every morning when I get to the office. 

Moral of the story= I think your setup will be fine and you're about to enjoy some great beef in a few weeks' time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    A couple of years ago, our office manager ordered a new mini fridge (single door, small freezer on top) because the older one wouldn't cool properly. Told  him to stick the old one in my office. 

The problem was that people wouldn't shut the door properly, so ice built up around the freezer unit. Then the door would shut because of the ice. And nobody bothered to defrost it. Once it was defrosted, it held temp at 37F consistently. 

I dry age a 3-bone prime rib from HEB in it when they are on sale later in the year. Turns out pretty good. No extra fans or anything. I do have an analog fridge thermometer inside, so I can check that it's keeping the right temp every morning when I get to the office. 

Moral of the story= I think your setup will be fine and you're about to enjoy some great beef in a few weeks' time. 
    Great info, thanks.
    We have 2 large break rooms on my office floor. Most people use the larger of the 2 at the mid point of the building but the one right next to my office has 3 large, full size refrigerators. I use 2 of the drawers in one but they remain empty for the most part. I bet I could put a couple large primal cuts in the dry age bags on a wire rack on a cookie sheet and cover with cheese cloth and no one would even know they were in there.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I watched a guy on youtube (Crazy Dave) listening to him is sometimes irritating though.  He has a coke fridge with glass doors that he uses.  He also did a Umai and his way challenge but the Umai way was better according to his friends. 

My 2nd father growing up had an old coke machine gutted out that he hung whole deer in and would dry age them before processing. 

I've done the Umai dry aging in the house fridge and it worked pretty well.  My daughter is getting married this weekend so she is the last of the kids and we'll now be free of kids so the fridge will be a little more empty so I will be dry aging alot more!!! 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!