Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomahawk ribeye reverse sear

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901

Seasoned with salt n pepper, beau mondes and garlic powder

About 290 dome temp had a couple chunks of cherry putting off a very pleasant aroma 

Pulled it about 120-125 

seared 2 min per side at 600

Came out more medium then I wanted must’ve climbed more under the foil then I anticipated. Was still delicious.

anyways it’s a fun cook and my dog loved the bone, even though it wasn’t bigger than her :-)

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Always a fun cook.  I’m sure it was delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I would inhale it. 
    Foil will enable a  temperature rise right off the cooking surface FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Man that looks incredible! I’ve wanted to try a tomahawk for a while but don’t want to screw it up. 

One probably dumb question, to do a tomahawk on a large egg you would need to cut most of the bone off right? In order to close the dome for indirect and for getting it flat for the sear. Yours is an XL right and it looks like it just barely fits in tact. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    keep foil away from steaks.  looks good though
    Options
    Man that looks incredible! I’ve wanted to try a tomahawk for a while but don’t want to screw it up. 

One probably dumb question, to do a tomahawk on a large egg you would need to cut most of the bone off right? In order to close the dome for indirect and for getting it flat for the sear. Yours is an XL right and it looks like it just barely fits in tact. 
    Mine was just under 4lbs so either a big steak or a small roast either way reverse sear and you’ll be fine. I’m sure I’ve seen guys do these on the large you should go for it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I’ve learned my lesson with the foil I don’t normally cover with foil like that but it was raining I should’ve just run it inside while getting to sear temp 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    That'll do. well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    That looks like an awesome steak.  Great job. 
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options

My dog agrees as well
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX