Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Loin - top sirloin cap - prime

Options
hey everyone,

i picked this up a few weeks ago and decided to thaw it yesterday and cook today. Not many posts on here about it. But from what I have seen if I want to cook this whole then I should go to 130 degrees and pull. Originally the plan was going to be to take it a lot higher and shre it. But seems as though that won’t work for this cut. Thoughts?

Lastly, think I should trim off some of that fat?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Don't shred that. It's also known as a coulotte and is the cut off meat used for picanha. Cut the roast with fat cap intact into steaks. I've used them for pit beef, too, which is thinly sliced roasted beef. 

Edit: I'm not saying you "can't" shred it, but that would be like cooking a tri tip or loin to the point of shredding. Cheaper cuts are better for that.
  • JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Don't shred that. It's also known as a coulotte and is the cut off meat used for picanha. Cut the roast with fat cap intact into steaks. I've used them for pit beef, too, which is thinly sliced roasted beef. 
    This is the confirmation I was looking for. Bought some good buns and put on some au jus to simmer so going the pit beef route. Thanks!
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Post some finished pics. Would like to see how it turns out. Have seen this cut at Costco but haven't pulled the trigger...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @JKellar - I'm with @gonepostal here as I have never cooked that cut but pulled the trigger on the SRF deal for culottes a couple of weeks ago.  Plan them to arrive mid-August. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It is awesome for Picanha as mentioned. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I cooked one of these Friday - same size, but choice.  I trimmed all surface fat, tied it, and rubbed with a mix of stuff.  Went about 3 hours at 250+.  Go to 130.  Give it a rest in foil.  Slice and serve with au jus and horseradish.  Mine was very tender and great flavor.  Sorry, no finish pics.  Too much Tito’s...

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Best deal at Costco
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    JKellar said:
    Well good news it turned out great. Honestly it is the best thing I’ve done on the egg so far. Took off at 130 and let it sit for half hour or so. 

Did you trim the fat cap ? Looks awesome I saw that at Costco and was curious about it as well
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JKellar
    Options
    I trimmed a bit off where it was really think. But left about 1/4inch or so. I then put it fat cap down with the thought the lean meat could use all the help not drying out.  Do yourself a favor next time you are at Costco and grab one. I am certainly doing this cook again. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Interesting, think I am going to have to pick one up
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    That is a serious drooler!  Beautiful.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir that looks great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Definitely a home-run.  I am now fired up to give this cut a go.  Thanks for the documentation.  Nailed it!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I love these.  The last one I did sous vide for about 6-8 hours at 135 followed by a hard sear.  It was phenomenal, so tender and beefy.

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    You guys talked me into this! I’ve seen them at Costco as well. Now I’m going to do this cook. Thanks for sharing!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-Bp_ALJiU

This is in Portuguese, with English subtitle. If you want to see a real picanha, go to the 20:00 mark.  Around the 15:00 min, he shows how to cut it. This is the best cut of beef. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks mighty good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I have done these a few times with the sous vide

you did raised indirect? what temp? and then finish with a sear?

headed to costco after work, might pick one up
    Boom
  • JKellar
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have done these a few times with the sous vide

you did raised indirect? what temp? and then finish with a sear?

headed to costco after work, might pick one up
    I did raised indirect around 240. I actually don’t remember now how long it took. I didn’t reverse sear as I sliced pretty thin and figured it wouldn’t add much. However, with the leftovers I have sliced off a couple thick pieces and gave them a short time on some cast iron. Really good that way too. 
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options
    I was able to procure a nice picanha / culotte yesterday. Tough piece of meat for me to find where I live. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Our Costco only sells "CAP OFF" versions of these, which drives me crazy. Why remove the best part of the cut? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave