Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked sockeye salmon. My way(pic heavy)

Options
etherdome
etherdome Posts: 471
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sea salt coarse
1T black pepper. 
Mix up and rub fish. Wrap in plastic and put in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. Rinse well under cold water. Let sit uncovered  in fridge  for at least  4 hours for pellicle formation. Smoke  on foil boat skin-side down. 225-250 degrees for internal temp of 145...usually an hour. On this particular cook I used Alder chips and one small apple chunk. This is my absolute favorite method.

Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Man, that is some gorgeous looking salmon!  Veggies look like a great complement, too.  Fantastic job!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great post, thank you for sharing your recipe!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't really understand salt when it comes to brining and the like. Being on a reduced sodium diet, to me, that is a ton of salt, but I don't know how much stays in/on the fish. Maybe most is rinsed away? Seems to me most would be absorbed. Which is why I never brine anything, wet or dry.

But salty or not, that is some gorgeous salmon!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• etherdome
    Options
    Believe it or not , it is not salty. 
    Upstate SC
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Lovely 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @etherdome Made this today!  Outstanding!  Thank you for sharing!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • etherdome
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @smbishop  thank YOU for sharing. That is awesome!   Always glad to hear of a good experience from a shared recipe. 
    Upstate SC