Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mustard for pork shoulder?

Options
I love mustard in my dry rub, the other day I was watching tv and saw someone using regular prepared yellow mustard (wet) before they put on their rub.  Probably stupid, but I'd never thought of it before-it has gotta be cheaper than using dry mustard and the end product had a nice bark.

So does anyone use regular ol yellow mustard on their pork?  (pulled pork).

thanks very much

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    A lot of people do this.  You really don't get much mustard flavor this way, but it does help your dry rub adhere to your protein.

To get a good mustard flavor,  I use a mustard based BBQ sauce after pulling.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I my self rub regular yellow mustard all over the pork then cover in rub. You can’t taste the mustard at all. I think a lot of people here do it as well. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I use it too, works well, but I don't think it has a detectible taste in the pulled pork. I'm going to use it tomorrow on a16 pound prime brisket as well.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment. Messy too. Supposedly, you can't taste the mustard and dry rub sticks to a butt just fine without any added glue.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Another user of the mustard as a binder before applying the rub.  No mustard flavor comes thru with the cook.
    Many say it isn't necessary or use something else as the binder.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I used to use mustard on protein as a binder for the rub until I tried it without. I have no problems with the rub sticking and  didn't notice any difference in the flavor. Just one less step I have to make in prepping.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2018
    Options
    There is this magic thing in most rubs called salt, which starts to dissolve and draw moisture out of the meat. This binds the rub to the meat(and your hands) while rubbing/patting it. Plus, if the butt is already a bit moist, the rub will stick anyway.

Mustard is like a security blanket: not necessary to keep warm, but some people like it because it makes them feel better. Do whatever you prefer.
  • smoker13
    Options
    I can taste dry mustard when I put a bunch in my rub, and I love it.  I'll give plain old yellow mustard a try.  btw, I've never had a problem with rub sticking to the protein without mustard etc.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    you will be disappointed.  If you want mustard taste, you need dry mustard powder in the rub.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    I have never not used it. Not once. Ever. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I tried it and didn't like it. There was no mustard taste, which is a good thing for what I was trying to achieve, but it seemed to take away from the taste of the rub. Less intense, I guess. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    yes, mustard or mayo, does not affect final flavor one bit, just helps with the bark as others have stated.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As above, its not really for flavor, just stickiness. I brush on a neutral oil, like safflower if I want to load on the rub.

Mustard's pungency mostly bakes away, tho' there is a residual flavor. If you like really pungent and hot, crush some mustard seed toward the end of the cook, mix it w. a bit of water, and dribble it over the meat. It can be wasabi hot.