Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick tips for pork butt

Options
I'm still very much a grasshopper with this MBGE, but see butts at a great price at nearby Kroger.  Please give me some quick advice.  I'm going to get the smallest one possible, 5-6 lb. range, and hit it with some sort of rub.  Approximately how long and at what ideal temp (was thinking 275)?  To what internal temp?  And from your experience, with what smoke?  Once at that internal temperature, I will pull and wrap with foil, wrap that with towel, and put in a cooler.  For how long of a rest?  Any other advice would be welcome and appreciated.  Happy Friday, all.
Virginia Beach, VA

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There is no ideal temp.  There is no ideal temp.  

Pork shoulder can be cooked in varying ways to great results.    Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.

Don't look for the smallest one possible. Get a normal sized one of 7-8 pounds (leftover pulled pork can be used in many ways).  I normally cook butts at around 275ºF because this temp allows you to start the cook at breakfast time and finish in time for dinner -  no staying up all night for me!

Approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    ive done 275 and you beat me to it @jtcBoynton so ill stop typing and say yes I agree with all above but would like to add not necessary to go L&S turbo 350 works fine
    as far as FTC let the butt rest for a few minutes until the IT starts to come down then FTC i usually do 1:00 but i believe 30min -5 hours is acceptable 
    Just relax and cook it its pretty forgiving so hard to screw up
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cook at 250-350° dome temp. The only difference is speed of cook.

Start probing for doneness at about 195°F internal. When the probe cn be inserted in multiple places with no resistance, it's done. Regardless of temp (but it's usually, 200-205°).

I prefer hickory for smoke. Or that mixed with oak.

No need for the foil towel cooler thing unless it's done early and you ned to keep it hot for a while. No rest needed.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigGreenBean
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

Virginia Beach, VA
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Great advice above. Don’t sweat the dome temp as long as you are in those ranges. 

Make sure you post pictures of the results!
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Make sure you post pictures of the results!

Will do, @UNCHeels08.  I just picked up the lucky hunk of meat.  7.18 lbs.  But I had to come back to the office and pretend to work for a while, when my mind is really on pork butt this afternoon...

Virginia Beach, VA