Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB lets see em!

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Ive had mine for a few years now. Living in Canuckistan we don't get to egg al year round like some of you lucky guys.

Mine looks like it came from an archeological dig. its flaked, and very rough looking. I was shaking it out last weekend and I noticed a lot of lump was falling into the egg. I looked underneath it and there was a piece of the rings missing. I found it in the bottom of my egg.

just curious as to how yours is holding up over time.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know I've had my 2 for maybe 4 or 5 years now. Other than minor surface rust I have no issues. What I wonder though when I see some eggers KABs that their wire is clearly smaller diameter than mine. Plus theirs look like the distance between the wire is much smaller as well. 

Could yours be of the smaller diameter wire perhaps?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've had mine for a year now (non SS). I'll snap some pics next time I clean the egg out. I know it's rusty, but not sure if it's degraded much yet.

Overall i'm happy with it. It's nice to be able to lift it right out when cleaning out ash, and the airflow seems great.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    This was mine after just over a year. I threw it out and have been egging on just fine without it.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    keener75 said:
    This was mine after just over a year. I threw it out and have been egging on just fine without it.
    MAXIMUM AIRFLOW!
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Mine is about toast after 2-3 years, but I’m more concerned with the fact that you don’t use the egg year round. Winter egging is fantastic.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Mine is about toast after 2-3 years, but I’m more concerned with the fact that you don’t use the egg year round. Winter egging is fantastic.
    Couldn't agree more. Set your beer in a snow bank while checking food to ensure it doesn't get warm.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    That pic above was of a early basket.....they have been revised/improved twice since then. 

If you send that picture to Chad & Tracy, I bet you'll get a brand new stainless steel one for a helluva deal.  There are some businesses that still take care of their customers.  But if customers just want to be bitter, then not much we/they can do for them.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I agree. I almost prefer it. Cold crisp air and rolling smoke is as good as it gets. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I agree. I almost prefer it. Cold crisp air and rolling smoke is as good as it gets. 
    True. When it's hot and humid, standing around a 400 degree egg isn't ideal.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Speak for yourself. Egging year round here in southern Ontario. My basket was pretty beat after one year. As stated by another fellow egger, I removed it and never looked back. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    +1 for egging year round in S Ontario. A nice crisp February morning with no wind is one of my favorite times to spark up the egg and throw on some ribs.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    keener75 said:
    +1 for egging year round in S Ontario. A nice crisp February morning with no wind is one of my favorite times to spark up the egg and throw on some ribs.
    +2, another SW ON egger that lights up the grill year round 
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    +3 Ottawa reporting in.  Year round cooks w/ two eggs and Pit Barrel Cooker on exposed paver patio. Only part that gets shoveled is the path from the back door to the Q's!!

And my KAB is holding up just fine after 2 years of heavy use.
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I just upgraded to the new KAB.  I had one of the older ones, got a ton of use from it but after a few years it was starting to give out.  I emailed Chad and he was great to deal with.  Just got the new stainless steel one last week and it is a big improvement over the original.  Thicker wire, much sturdier.  
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Old and New.  Have one in two Large Eggs and one Small.  Will buy again if these ever wear out.  Great product, great company!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    How new are the "new" ones?  Anyone know how long they will last with normal use?  I've egged without a KAB for 6+ years but recently convinced myself, after reading this forum, that I need one.  This is the first time I've heard anything negative about them, but it's good info.  If it's only going to hold up for a couple years then I'll pass.
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The "new" stainless steel ones have been out since January.  Before that, the second generation heavy coated steel ones were around for at least 18 months......maybe longer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    keener75 said:
    Not to mention, the jealous looks from the neighbors!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    The new ones also have a 3-year warranty, which the original ones did not have. 
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have second gen KABs in my S, M, and two L eggs. If/when they give up the ghost, I will definitely buy again. The WOO and KAB are my favorite accessories.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!