Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter mess

I hope I didn't ruin my plate setter.  I just did a slow and low cook (about 5 hours) and forgot to put a drip pan down.  I smoked two chickens and they left a mess on my plate setter.  Any suggestions as to how to clean it?  Do I have to fire my Egg back up and cook it off?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Fire it up and cook it off.  Good excuse to do a pizza cook - but let that stuff burn off before you put your pizza on. Oh, and make sure that the dirty side is facing the coals.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hoops10
    Hoops10 Posts: 35
    So then I have to turn the plate setter upside down?  How hot should I get it or does it not matter and just leave the dampeners and daisy wheel wide open? 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I am going to assume that you cooked with the setter legs up, and everything dripped between the legs.... yea, yea,  queue up jokes here......

If that is the case, yes, cook with the legs down and the mess facing the coals. I do my pizzas about 600 and when I do, the side of the platesetter facing the coals after the cook is always clean.  I do not know the minimum temp/time requirement to get it totally clean again. That temp/time threshold is currently a mystery to me, but I know after a getting the egg to about 600, cooking a pizza or two for 10 mins each, and leaving the setter in there for the shutdown and cooldown, it comes out looking almost like new.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Burn it up. It’ll be fine. 

@Sea2Ski I laughed just a little.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Hoops10 said:
    ... just leave the dampeners and daisy wheel wide open? 
    Never cook with the vents wide open.  Keep the temp under control.  You can go high if you want, but never out of control.  The platesetter will get plenty of heat without needing to get the dome super hot.  A 500ºF dome temp is plenty for cleaning the platesetter.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Tin foil is your friend for future cooks.....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Take a putty knife to it and scrape everything you can off of it. Turn it over and burn off the rest. 450-500 will do just fine. 
  • Hoops10
    Hoops10 Posts: 35
    I usually use an aluminum drip pan that I throw away when done, I just totally forgot it this time.  Also how accurate is the dome thermometer? For all my smokes, I use a Maverick but for this I was just going to use the dome thermometer.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Hoops10 said:
    I usually use an aluminum drip pan that I throw away when done, I just totally forgot it this time.  Also how accurate is the dome thermometer? For all my smokes, I use a Maverick but for this I was just going to use the dome thermometer.
    The dome thermo is pretty spot on as long as it's calibrated. There's a nut on the back you can turn which moves the needle. Boil some water, stick the probe in, and adjust the needle until its reading 212.
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    I do exactly as @pgprescott does..Woks great. Went to lowes and got the cheapest metal, doesnt have to be, putty knife. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC