Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket on Joetisserie ?

Options
I just ordered a Joetisserie for my XL and have been looking up anything I can about it. Some say that there is a lot of leakages around it. I was just wondering if a gasket on the top of it would help. ( I have a Rutland on the Egg ). Any thoughts??

Comments

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Perhaps a thinner gasket, such as the original that comes on the Egg, might help a little, but honestly, I don't find the air leakage to be a problem. I have been using the CyberQ to regulate the pit temperature, so I just set the desired pit temperature accordingly.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    Other joetisserie owners have bought a Rutland for that very purpose.
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
  • Fastfish
    Fastfish Posts: 31
    Options
    I have a Joetisserie. I just close my bottom vent a little more than normal if the temperature starts climbing.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    My Joetisserie has the Rutland Gasket on it.  What I found was that after changing the bands to the new style, I now need to remove the gasket... lid will not fully close with the new bands.

I would advise against doing it if you have the new band setup on your XL.

If you have the old band setup... it works great!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Perhaps a thinner gasket, such as the original that comes on the Egg, might help a little, but honestly, I don't find the air leakage to be a problem. I have been using the CyberQ to regulate the pit temperature, so I just set the desired pit temperature accordingly.
    Where do you place the pit probe when using the joetisserie?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited July 2018
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Perhaps a thinner gasket, such as the original that comes on the Egg, might help a little, but honestly, I don't find the air leakage to be a problem. I have been using the CyberQ to regulate the pit temperature, so I just set the desired pit temperature accordingly. I might add that I'm using the Kick Ash Basket Divider for the first time today when cooking 2 chickens on the Joetisserie. It is a well-made piece of heavy gauge stainless steel that allows the charcoal to be stacked at the back side of the Egg while using the Joetisserie.
    I take a strip of heavy-duty aluminum foil, double it, and hang it over the handle of the Kick Ash Basket, and clip the pit probe to that.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • The_Stache
    Options
    If you have a PSWoo, you can attach to that.  Just put the handles front and rear and it will not interfere with the Joetisserie!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I'm able to clip it to the underside of my dome temp thermometer.  There's a lot of extra metal on the mount. I can then stretch the cable out the rear and it is well out of the way of a couple chickens spinning around on there.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • The_Stache
    Options
    My Joetisserie has the Rutland Gasket on it.  What I found was that after changing the bands to the new style, I now need to remove the gasket... lid will not fully close with the new bands.

I would advise against doing it if you have the new band setup on your XL.

If you have the old band setup... it works great!!!
    As a followup .... I removed the rear portion of the Rutland Gasket from my Joetisserie and everything now seals very well with the new band setup...

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't need a gasket. Or a dome for that matter. If it leaks "a little", so what?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut