Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mmmmmmm Meatloaf!

Options
Ran home from work today and fired up the Joe. Threw together a meatloaf and got the IQ going to maintain it just because I was in a hurry! Can’t wait! 
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Meatloaf......very nice. No mashed taters? Only kidding....enjoy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    And a little over 5 yrs...i have yet to do a meatloaf. I'll get around to it eventually! Looks fantastic btw...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    never thought of a meatloaf on the egg standing by for results

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    No meatloafs on the BGE yet??? You guys don't know what you've been missing! In fact I'm making one for our suppper tomorrow night myself. 

My advice - though I wasn't asked is not to follow your Mother's recipe that you grew up eating...why? Depending on your age, where you grew up and additions to a common meatloaf recipe can knock it out of the ballpark! 

I've been perfecting my recipe by fine tuning it to our liking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    RRP said:
    No meatloafs on the BGE yet??? You guys don't know what you've been missing! In fact I'm making one for our suppper tomorrow night myself. 

My advice - though I wasn't asked is not to follow your Mother's recipe that you grew up eating...why? Depending on your age, where you grew up and additions to a common meatloaf recipe can knock it out of the ballpark! 

@RRP i had to get away from Mom's recipe a long time ago! She would kill me for saying this but it just wasn't very good. I have tweaked mine through the years and have it where i like it...although it's odd to say the least. I just don't cook it that often and when i do i just toss it in the oven. I'll have to throw it on the egg one of these days and see how it goes...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm with @RRP: meatloaf on the Egg might not sound like much, but it's one of my favorite cooks!  Really, really good!  I've made several different recipes, and I have a BUNCH more I can't wait to try!
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    Have done meatloaf on the MBGE several times, last time I stuffed with blue cheese and made a blue cheese sauce to cover with after I removed from MBGE.
    My wife is still stuck with traditional oven meatloaf, as she thinks the smoke flavor takes away from the “meatloaf taste”. Which means I only do it on the Egg when she is on vacation.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I've done a couple recently. I've decided not to add any smoking wood next time. Rockwood should add just enough smokiness on it's own.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've cooked Malcomb Reed's BBQ Meatloaf twice. Great w/ mashed potatoes and leftovers sandwiches don't suck.  :) http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=2449
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I'm with @RRP: meatloaf on the Egg might not sound like much, but it's one of my favorite cooks!  Really, really good!  I've made several different recipes, and I have a BUNCH more I can't wait to try!

Yep, it is probably my favorite thing on the egg. So easy too. I normally just mix some beef,sausage, spices, egg, breadcrumbs and then wrap a few slices of bacon around it and get an awesome meal each time. The ground meat sucks in the smoke and is fantastic. 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Wifes favorite meal (besides salmon) is meatloaf. Guess ill have to try it on the egg now.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Meatloaf is where it"s at!!! B)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Have done meatloaf on the MBGE several times, last time I stuffed with blue cheese and made a blue cheese sauce to cover with after I removed from MBGE.
    My wife is still stuck with traditional oven meatloaf, as she thinks the smoke flavor takes away from the “meatloaf taste”. Which means I only do it on the Egg when she is on vacation.
    Sounds like we have the same wife. 
    NW IOWA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    love meatloaf. nice cook.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I've cooked Malcomb Reed's BBQ Meatloaf twice. Great w/ mashed potatoes and leftovers sandwiches don't suck.  :) http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=2449
    Most times, I make an extra meatloaf on the egg just FOR left over meatloaf sammiches. Holy Sh!t!! So good. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This has to appear in every meatloaf thread, sorry. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Proof - I did what I said I was going to do!

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Sorry so late responding here.  Never any shortage of crap to catch up on. Meatloaf turned out fantastic! It’s one of my top 3 favorite things on the Egg. Defiantly try it if you’ve never done it before. You don’t know what your missing! 
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    @RRP .  Care to post your recipe? I use Tyler Florence's ultimate meatloaf recipe but always like looking at others.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Ridgehunter
    Options
    Looks great! It's making me hungry
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Man, I've be craving meatloaf bad!

I wonder how it would turn out using Ezekiel Bread or riced cauliflower instead of crackers...maybe sub with brown rice?
    Gittin' there...
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Man, I've be craving meatloaf bad!

I wonder how it would turn out using Ezekiel Bread or riced cauliflower instead of crackers...maybe sub with brown rice?
    You can actually use shredded carrots with some flaxseed meal and a bit of rice flour if you are trying to go gluten free. The ratio is a cup of shredded carrots, a T of flaxseed meal, a T of rice flour per lb of meat, no egg is needed. With some spices held back that is my turkey meatloaf recipe.
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP .  Care to post your recipe? I use Tyler Florence's ultimate meatloaf recipe but always like looking at others.
    Sure - give me some time as I have to retype it, and I'm heading out the door shortly.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    never thought of a meatloaf on the egg standing by for results

Wait till you hear about the 'loney. 
    Near San Francisco in California
  • RRP
    edited July 2018
    Options
    As promised!

Not Your Mother’s Meatloaf

The original recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004 though I have made several modifications to it over the years to our satisfaction. The most recent is the addition of anchovies! Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck

½ pound ground pork

4 strips of bacon

4 anchovies 

1 T oil from the anchovies tin

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style

1 T Worcestershire

4 cloves diced garlic

1 raw egg

2 tea Gochujang

1 tea ground black pepper

½ tea kosher salt

½ tea Tabasco

¼ tea ground cumin

¼ cup beef stock

In large skillet slow fry 4 strips of bacon to semi-cooked, but still limp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add 1 T of the oil to the bacon grease and add anchovies, onion, green pepper and sauté all the while stirring and mashing the anchovies into a paste and thoroughly mixing.  As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. 

Meanwhile slice and dice the bacon strips into small pieces. Don’t worry if they are undercooked to your liking as they will finish cooking inside the meatloaf. Besides if the bacon is crisp to start with they will become hardened, unpleasant surprise nuggets inside the loaf!

Pour the skillet contents into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing repeatedly through your fingers. (HINT: wear disposable plastic gloves!) Then form your loaf. Trust me - with the bread crumbs and egg binder this will be a solid loaf when thoroughly mixed! Place the loaf on top of waxed paper which is sitting on a cutting board. That way you will be able to coat the ends, sides and one top with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. You can then flip the loaf and coat the final side.

I use a wire meatloaf basket, which allows smoke to reach it on all sides, but you may want to use a small oven proof flat pan or even a “pizza pan” which has holes.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chunks as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!

Revised…again…7-16-18

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Dang @NightwingXP !!  Looks terrific!!  What all did you put in it?  Best looking meatloaf I’ve seen all day. :)
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    @RRP, thanks for posting the recipe!  Fascinating.  I have never seen a meatloaf recipe with gochujang, cumin, and anchovies!  

Virginia Beach, VA
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Mama bird just said that it is time for meatloaf again. It is the greatest on the egg. One of our favorite cooks. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP, thanks for posting the recipe!  Fascinating.  I have never seen a meatloaf recipe with gochujang, cumin, and anchovies!  

Thanks! This really is a tasty meatloaf! BTW both the gochujang and anchovies are amongst several modifications I have made tweaking this recipe over the years.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @rrp was the Gochujang a recent addition?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.