Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porchetta Advice - SV + Joetisserie

Options
I've been wanting to breakout my new Joetisserie with a Porchetta and have been reading up on recipes of varying types.

Combining a few techniques, I was thinking of using a pork belly and trying a combo of SV with a Joetisserie finish.  My thoughts (and questions) are that by fully cooking (and tenderizing) the porchetta with the SV portion, the Joetisserie portion will just be about browning, crisping, and fat rendering.  I was thinking of bumping up the temp for that with the hopes that a bit more fat renders.  The one small concern I've read from others using the pork belly exclusively is that not enough fat renders.

So, should I go higher temp for shorter or lower temp for longer?
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    If you're using pork belly I'd definitely go low 'n slow with a platesetter until enough fat has rendered and you're happy with the texture. Then crank the heat up for the browning.  With that said, I think the belly is too fatty and would opt for pork shoulder instead. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    SonVolt - I'll be doing a 36 hour sous vide prior to putting it on the spit.  So, the texture (in terms of tenderness) will be set before it ever sees the BGE.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    it is tough to render out enough fat to make belly something you can eat in more than very small servings.  You can look for very lean belly or carve up some loin and incorporate that into the "roll".  Also increase the ratio of filling to meat, but that can make it weird, depending on your filler.
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'd be worried that by the time you get belly to the ideal texture it would just fall apart on a spit. It's 80% fat so there's not much structural integrity.  If you pull this off I'd love to see photos! 

Here's a shoulder I did a while back in the style of Prochetta. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Z-vDd6mvU

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I hear you on that!

However, others have done similar cooks for the most part.  And, the SV technique calls for oven time after so this isn't that different.  Another thought is that I could SV it for half the time (or, some time less than the fully SV recipe) and allow the finishing on the spit.

There are tons of porchetta recipes out there and many (most?) involve pork belly these days.  I think the original was belly wrapped around the loin.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    It's one thing for a soft roll of fat to sit static on a baking sheet in the oven, and another to be strapped to a metal pole swirling around in circles fighting the weight of itself. I would just pray to the gods that it keeps together and doesn't fall into a pile of mush so you can post photos and prove us all wrong :)