Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table, need a tile for under Egg

Options
Just finished staining a homemade table and I need to get a tile to put under the egg.  What are you guys using and where are you getting it?  I am thinking I need a 16x16.  I looked at Home Depot and they had nothing. 

Here's a pic of my table:

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Make sure you create an air gap with either a table nest or other means. The paver alone is a ticking time bomb. If you insist on a tile or paver , that’s fine , but the air gap is a must with or without the paver. 

Nice looking egg home!
  • mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Make sure you create an air gap with either a table nest or other means. The paver alone is a ticking time bomb. If you insist on a tile or paver , that’s fine , but the air gap is a must with or without the paver. 

Nice looking egg home!
    I will be using the table nest.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Pretty sure I used a 12x12 paver under my XL. Been a while since mine was in a table, though. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    If you are using a nest you probably won't need a tile.  Nice looking table.  ;-)
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Frankly, I'm not so sure you need a paver if you have a table nest. Without a stone, you can see if the wood is starting to discolor. Or you can feel the wood to see if it's getting hot. If it were mine, I'd try the table nest only for a while.

Then again, I don't have or want an egg table. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Do any of you have cedar tables?  With Cedar being a soft wood, do the feet make indentations?  I'm gonna give it a try without the tile.
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    I have a cedar table and the feet don't make a noticeable indentation.  I do recommend adding a cross support underneath in the center and underneath where the the right side legs will rest.  I originally only had the center cross support and the lower shelf developed a lean towards the right side legs.  I used an automobile jack to raise it to where it was level and retro-filled a cross support under the right side legs.  I think it would be much easier to do ahead of time. ;-)    
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For a large egg an 18x18" tile fits nicely under the table nest.  Home Depot has plenty and sells singles.  In the picture there is an 18" sq tile glued to the underside of the fire bricks (9 in. x 4-1/2 in. x 1-1/4 in.).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ridgehunter
    Options
    I have my egg in a nest in a table, guys were i bought it said as long as its in a nest you dont need anything else under it. On the BGE website they said you could add granite tiles for added protection so I bought 4 at home Depot for $20.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

no need for a tile under the egg if you have a table nest or similar.  air drops the temp in 2 inches that is the equivalent of having 14" of concrete underneath the egg with no table nest. I also have a cedar table currently and had one before no issue with the feet digging in. nice table by the way. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Nice looking table. I echo what others have said, fire brick and nest to protect table
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx