Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter question

Options
do you normally go legs up or legs down? And why? I used to always go legs up, but have seen some people who go legs down. Are there any advantages or does it truly matter. 
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    I go legs up; however, since I discovered the R and B combo from Ceramic Grill Store - it doesn't enter my egg.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I do legs up because I typically use a drip pan. I also think it provides for better air circulation underneath whatever you're cooking. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    I like the air gap as well with the legs up.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    hogfan412 said:
    I go legs up; however, since I discovered the R and B combo from Ceramic Grill Store - it doesn't enter my egg.

I like this answer.  I haven't used my plate setter in a while since I have the adjustable rig for both eggs now. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Legs up here.  You likely are seeing pizza setups where many go legs down.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    FWIW, I do legs up even with pizza. Then I put the grill on the legs and add an extender rack to support the pizza stone. This puts the pizza up in the dome and away from the radiant heat of the charcoal.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DWFII said:
    FWIW, I do legs up even with pizza. Then I put the grill on the legs and add an extender rack to support the pizza stone. This puts the pizza up in the dome and away from the radiant heat of the charcoal.
    For pizza, try legs down next time. Everything else the same as above. Having platesetter higher and closer to your pizza stone will cause more heat to roll around your pizza stone and not into the bottom of your stone. It will also allow you to start with more lump and have more breathing room for your fire. The large air gap between your platesetter and pizza stone is doing nothing to help you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:
    For pizza, try legs down next time. Everything else the same as above. Having platesetter higher and closer to your pizza stone will cause more heat to roll around your pizza stone and not into the bottom of your stone. It will also allow you to start with more lump and have more breathing room for your fire. The large air gap between your platesetter and pizza stone is doing nothing to help you.
    Interesting...so the original cooking grid on top of the PS? But it won't...as far as I can see...sit flat on the platesetter.  And also there will be no place for the SS bolts to sit except on the PS. And that seems like it would be a bit unstable?

Am I understanding correctly?
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:
    Interesting...so the original cooking grid on top of the PS? But it won't...as far as I can see...sit flat on the platesetter.  And also there will be no place for the SS bolts to sit except on the PS. And that seems like it would be a bit unstable?

Am I understanding correctly?
    Flip your 18" Grate upside down. Looked like you had enough support rods on the back side of that grate that it would rest flat on the PS.
    Yes, I was thinking only reason to use the lower grate would be to stop your custom rig from sliding on the PS.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    Maybe just shorten the support rids up some. I do like the pizza to cook higher in the dome...the ambient heat cooks the toppings better, I think.
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Maybe just shorten the support rids up some. I do like the pizza to cook higher in the dome...the ambient heat cooks the toppings better, I think.
    I was no way sugesting that you lower the level of your pizza stone
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:
    Then, sorry I'm still not seeing what you're suggesting completely...(dumb bootmaker).

I think the stability of my setup relies on the rods with the washers sticking through the grid. If the grid is lying on the flat surface of the platesetter (even turned over) those rod ends are gonna be sitting directly on the surface of the plate setter.And the washers won't be touching anything...so small base on each rod.

Maybe you have a photo that can clarify things a little?
    Instagram
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Put the plate setter legs up, but put the plate setter on top of the fire ring not in the 3 indentions (extra height) then the grid, grid extender, and pizza stone. 

Gets it real high in the Egg.

I also prefer the legs up for a drip pan. The only time I do legs down is when using a Dutch oven because mine doesn’t have legs and I use aluminum balls to lift it off the platesetter. Keeps it high in the dome with legs down this way. 

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • DWFII
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My LBGE is older and doesn't have indentations of any real depth in the fire ring. That said my set up looks and sounds a lot like yours.

I think my stone rack is 3" above the regular cooking grid (looks higher in the photo above but I measured it).

Instagram
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Dunno about all these indentations etc but I just throw stuff in the egg and let it do it’s job.  Isn’t that part of the appeal of the BGE, decent margin for error and plenty to experiment with?  It’s not like we are shaving faces here and need the perfect lather. ;) 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:
    Then, sorry I'm still not seeing what you're suggesting completely...(dumb bootmaker).

I think the stability of my setup relies on the rods with the washers sticking through the grid. If the grid is lying on the flat surface of the platesetter (even turned over) those rod ends are gonna be sitting directly on the surface of the plate setter.And the washers won't be touching anything...so small base on each rod.

Maybe you have a photo that can clarify things a little?
    OK, I could not tell from your photo that the lower part of your bolts were that long that they would still hit the PS. The ones I have made in the past were closer to flush.
    Here is a photo of raised pizza setup in my Large. I want enough air gap between my cooking stone and my indirect barrier that my cooking stone gets hot but also close enough that the heat rolls around my cooking stone and to the top of my dome. This gives the great browning to the top of the pie.

Similar spacing on my XL. The extra space below the PS gives more room for a nice fire.

Higher heat and more heat in the dome gives the nice crust pop and browning of toppings.

All this was just a suggestion. I agree, there are many ways to cook everything.
    Stick with the set up that works best for you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DWFII
    Options
    ^ Thanks. I'm getting the idea. Nice looking pizza.

While mine is nicely brown on the top and bottom and all the cheese melted (done IOW without any burnt spots), it's not as browned as yours. I like the looks of yours a bit better.

I'm gonna have to fiddle with it...
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    ^ Thanks. I'm getting the idea. Nice looking pizza.

While mine is nicely brown on the top and bottom and all the cheese melted (done IOW without any burnt spots), it's not as browned as yours. I like the looks of yours a bit better.

I'm gonna have to fiddle with it...
    The burn spots were my fault. I was trying to get a good picture of the pie cooking and left the dome open tooooo long.lol
    The pizza pictured above is still on the pizza stone in the Egg in this photo.
    PS...I used my wife's camera, she was not happy with me.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Based on this thread, I just ordered a Woo, and a 19" stone from CGS. Going to try that instead of the plate setter. Snagged a drip pan and a new cap to replace the daisy as well.   
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Based on this thread, I just ordered a Woo, and a 19" stone from CGS. Going to try that instead of the plate setter. Snagged a drip pan and a new cap to replace the daisy as well.   
    CGS stuff is the best. Congrats. Assume you are tricking out the XL. Nice...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Yepp, and working on the outdoor kitchen design . Trying to decide on the second egg size as well. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
     Trying to decide on the second egg size as well. 

An XL, obviously. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    SonVolt said:
     Trying to decide on the second egg size as well. 

An XL, obviously. 
    That's where I'm leaning. I've got a 20x20 area where the kitchens going. It's where the guys are working in the pict. but I have a lot of cooking toy's that need to go there. Getting good ideas from you guys.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Legs up in the air.  
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @WesJohnson - Good to see you around here.  Above all, have fun.  There's a forum member who will likely be reaching out to you soon.

I see where your edit of the above post cleaned it up.  Good call  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    @WesJohnson, skip out on buying your Metamucil or Prune juice for a month and pay Ron back. He deserves that $13. By the way what was Christmas like when Lincoln was President? =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't bye Metmucil. Kroger brand just as good big turds and less sandy tasting I will pay Ron back I said I would but he want PM me back.
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was.