Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Kamado Grill

Options

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well I just looked and Bed Bath and Beyond has 81 results for Ceramic Grill so clearly, that's the place to buy them.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    BB&B also has a 20% coupon.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    And lots of towels...................

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Isn’t the kamado market pretty saturated as well? 

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?
    There are a crap load. Vision makes a lot, I think it’s pit boss at Costco, Viking was making them, Akron, blaze, Louisiana grills, sapphire, I believe I had seen one called pearl, Weber has the summit charcoal

Those are Kamado companies? Beyond Vision or Pitboss at Costco I've never seen any of those companies Kamado's. I would bet combined all of those companies you said above control less than 1% of all Kamado sales. That was more my point. Off the top of my head for Pellet Grills I can think of Traeger,Green Mountain, Pit Boss, Oklahoma Joes, and Camp Chef. Each of them control significant portions of the market. Traeger is probably the leader though.

Do you have a credible source for all these market share numbers you're spouting or are you just pulling them out of the air (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

Of course I don't have actual numbers. I don't work for Big Green Egg or Traeger. Quit busting people's balls over something so petty just to try and get a rise. My point was that other than 2 major players in the Kamado market everyone else is crumbs. As @DoubleEgger said earlier. Pellet grills are the new it thing. So naturally everyone wants a piece of that pie. Someone like RTIC probably has teams looking at this stuff and said "Hey, if we could build a Kamado grill the size of a big green egg and charge people $400 for it we could steal some sales from the #1 supplier in the market." Instead of saying "Hey if we built a pellet grill for $300 we maybe could steal small amounts from these Top 4 market suppliers".
    Geeez dude, don't be so defensive. Wasn't trying to "get a rise". Was just wondering if you really had any credible info into this stuff.

We've had many threads in the past wondering about market penetration of players like KJ, Primo, and BGE. They are privately held companies so public info is not available. However, there are bound to be some folks out there that are in the outdoor cooking retail sector that may have some credible data regarding sales of such things.

Was just wondering if you had a source - knew somebody, had lunch with somebody, knows a guy that knows a guy, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Not compared to the Pellet grill market. There are what 2 main kamado companies controlling 90% of the market. Sure Primo is there and they are tiny, Komodo Kamado is a fraction of the market. Who else really is there except KJ and BGE?
    There are a crap load. Vision makes a lot, I think it’s pit boss at Costco, Viking was making them, Akron, blaze, Louisiana grills, sapphire, I believe I had seen one called pearl, Weber has the summit charcoal

Those are Kamado companies? Beyond Vision or Pitboss at Costco I've never seen any of those companies Kamado's. I would bet combined all of those companies you said above control less than 1% of all Kamado sales. That was more my point. Off the top of my head for Pellet Grills I can think of Traeger,Green Mountain, Pit Boss, Oklahoma Joes, and Camp Chef. Each of them control significant portions of the market. Traeger is probably the leader though.

Do you have a credible source for all these market share numbers you're spouting or are you just pulling them out of the air (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

Of course I don't have actual numbers. I don't work for Big Green Egg or Traeger. Quit busting people's balls over something so petty just to try and get a rise. My point was that other than 2 major players in the Kamado market everyone else is crumbs. As @DoubleEgger said earlier. Pellet grills are the new it thing. So naturally everyone wants a piece of that pie. Someone like RTIC probably has teams looking at this stuff and said "Hey, if we could build a Kamado grill the size of a big green egg and charge people $400 for it we could steal some sales from the #1 supplier in the market." Instead of saying "Hey if we built a pellet grill for $300 we maybe could steal small amounts from these Top 4 market suppliers".
    Geeez dude, don't be so defensive. Wasn't trying to "get a rise". Was just wondering if you really had any credible info into this stuff.

We've had many threads in the past wondering about market penetration of players like KJ, Primo, and BGE. They are privately held companies so public info is not available. However, there are bound to be some folks out there that are in the outdoor cooking retail sector that may have some credible data regarding sales of such things.

Was just wondering if you had a source - knew somebody, had lunch with somebody, knows a guy that knows a guy, etc.

Sorry, my apologies. I thought you were trying to bust my chops.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    alibaba has cheap kamados, anyone could get in the business with a hundred unit order
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Google search, click shopping or images. Will bring up many brands.
    kamado grills

The big car companies with the major share said the same thing about hyundai a few years ago.

All the big outdoor/sporting stores in Texas sell generic Kamado grills as do the Home Depot, Lowe's and Target. I think your 1% is very low and growing.

People on this forum said the same about Kamado Joe a couple years ago.

Nike, the biggest name in athletic shoes holds only 30% portion of total recreational shoes sold compared to all the lesser and no name brands.

The average Joe will drop 300-400 dollars at Home Depot, on a whim, for a generic Kamado not knowing the difference before he will take the time to walk into a Specialty Grill Store and drop $1000.00. 

If RTIC just puts their Ceramic Grill in every Buc-ees gas station in Texas like they did their coolers and tumblers they will sell a bunch every year.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

If RTIC just puts their Ceramic Grill in every Buc-ees gas station in Texas like they did their coolers and tumblers they will sell a bunch every year.
    I didn't even think about Buc-ees. You may be on to something there.

• Photo Egg
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I didn't even think about Buc-ees. You may be on to something there.
    When I retire in a couple years I might go to work for Buc-ees part time in their Sporting Goods Department.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    I love buc-ees! Not much in the beer cooler though 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    Options
    alibaba has cheap kamados, anyone could get in the business with a hundred unit order
    A LOT of interesting grills to scroll thru on alibaba.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Sorry, my apologies. I thought you were trying to bust my chops.
    No worries mate.

In the future, if I am trying to bust your chops I'll be sure to flat out tell you with a "P.S." or the like. :)

• distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    @HeavyG I remember about a year or so ago, KJ’s CEO mused that BGE outsells them about 4-6 to 1 (I don’t remember which, but I think it was closer to 4). Not sure where he got that data but I assume it’s fairly accurate. 

@Photo Egg That’s a really interesting concept about how RTIC May try to sell Kamados. If they can produce a moderately decent grill, and package as well as Kamado Joe (ie all in one package vs BGEs a la cart approach) AND sell it half roughly half of KJ, BGE or Primo...or even less than Vision, Pit Boss, etc...could get interesting. 

That being said, I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    @HeavyG

That being said, I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 
    Considering big green egg just dropped the price of the 2XL to $1999 from $2999 My guess is the profit margin’s are insane on these things

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @HeavyG

Considering big green egg just dropped the price of the 2XL to $1999 from $2999 My guess is the profit margin’s are insane on these things
    Redesign. Not the same unit. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    @HeavyG

Virtually nothing changed correct? They got a new Daisy wheel at the top And also a new grate and plate setter. Sizewise They are the exact same footprint. are they using cheaper ceramics? 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 

I think a good chunk of the cost of goods comes after the sale (warranty claims).  I'm guessing if RTIC reduced the warranty to 2-5 years they could probably make money selling at half the price of an egg.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @HeavyG

Virtually nothing changed correct? They got a new Daisy wheel at the top And also a new grate and plate setter. Sizewise They are the exact same footprint. are they using cheaper ceramics? 
    Wrong. It’s kinda like the MM and the small sorta deal. 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    blasting said:
    I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 

I think a good chunk of the cost of goods comes after the sale (warranty claims).  I'm guessing if RTIC reduced the warranty to 2-5 years they could probably make money selling at half the price of an egg.

That’s a really valid point. RTIC May try to push a grill somewhere in the middle of a lifetime purchase like BGE and a disposable like Weber Kettle (though I had mine for 8 years and loved it...only got rid of it due to an XL BGE)...and if they do that, they could sell real cheap. I’m intrigued though I’d personally never buy one. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I really like how the bands are captured, as Photo already said.  Paired with a good hinge that would go along way to reducing alignment issues.  Not sure about the squarish design.  

I'm not quite as much of a green fanboy as I have been in the past - I'd give one a serious look when they are released (do we know when that is?)

Phoenix 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    @HeavyG

Ahh good to know.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @HeavyG

So basically the exact same grill with a shorter base. And probably slight changes to fire box? Hardly a big redesign. Either way, price was reduced by 1/3. Thats a signifcant drop.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

So basically the exact same grill with a shorter base. And probably slight changes to fire box? Hardly a big redesign. Either way, price was reduced by 1/3. Thats a signifcant drop.
    Yep drastic price reduction. Nope, not the same grill. If it was of no consequence, why do you feel they went through the significant trouble to change production parameters? Just cuz all manufacturers like retooling when there is no need? I’m sure that’s it. Anyway, the new one appears to be a better value. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

Yep drastic price reduction. Nope, not the same grill. If it was of no consequence, why do you feel they went through the significant trouble to change production parameters? Just cuz all manufacturers like retooling when there is no need? I’m sure that’s it. Anyway, the new one appears to be a better value. 
    I hope they'll still have parts for the XXL, I still haven't filed the claim on my base. Been crazy busy, should have time tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    Options
    DMW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

I hope they'll still have parts for the XXL, I still haven't filed the claim on my base. Been crazy busy, should have time tomorrow.
    Lol! I think that’s why they redesigned. Too many of the old ones and parts sitting around. I bet you’ll be fine. I’d get the claim in though just in case. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

You are the one stating the redesign like it was a big change that enabled BGE to reduce the price, not the fact it was just overpriced from the start. Tell us, what big tooling changes were made besides the shorter base?
    You keep saying not the same grill. We know the base is shorter, agree. Big deal, not.
    What else?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    blasting said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped their warranty to a matter of months/days like they did with their coolers.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.