Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE warranty... Finally!

Well I’ve been having a hell of a time getting a new firebox. The local dealer is a good dude but the local rep is a PITA. Always has an excuse as to why it hasn’t shipped with the next order. I’ve been trying since early February. Well I emailed the BGE warranty center at headquarters last week and it’s been 9 days since I sent that email. No response. I gave up. Said screw it I’ll go get some high temp silicone to fix it. So much for the lifetime warranty. Well Bruce emailed me back today. Asked for my address and a new firebox is on its way. They’re covering the shipping. No charge to me. It’s about time! Thank you BGE. 
NW IOWA

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Glad you finally got hooked up. Bruce at BGE is a great guy and has helped me out many times in the past.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    bruce is the guy to contact if you ever have warranty problems, he has helped me out a few times as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good to see that HQ was responsive and took care of you.

But sucks that you had to deal with all that. The 2 times I had to make a warranty claim, I had the new pieces in my garage in less than 2hrs from initiating the process.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    In my opinion The Mothership needs to do a better job with ensuring distributors make warrranty claims expedient and hassle free.   One of the justification factors for me with regards to the cost of the BGE was the lifetime warranty, but after reading  quite a few post of loyal customers getting jacked around on warranty claims I have some concerns.  I have been considering adding another XL in the not too distant future, but now I’m more likely to consider other options.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Photo Egg
    SSQUAL612 said:
    In my opinion The Mothership needs to do a better job with ensuring distributors make warrranty claims expedient and hassle free.   One of the justification factors for me with regards to the cost of the BGE was the lifetime warranty, but after reading  quite a few post of loyal customers getting jacked around on warranty claims I have some concerns.  I have been considering adding another XL in the not too distant future, but now I’m more likely to consider other options.  
    Only takes a couple minutes for you ask your local dealer. "How do you handle warranty claims? Explain your process to me."
    If they seem puzzled or tell you all claims are handled directly by BGE I would shop elsewhere. 
    You should be able to tell by their answer if they are are full of crap or a great dealer willing to help you after the sale.
    I also agree Mothership should do more.
    But understand that they normally have very little to do with the dealer. It's your area Distributor that buys from BGE who in turn sells to and supplies your local dealer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    When we handle warranty claims, I'll take whatever parts they need from the extras Eggs in boxes in our warehouse. That way the customer doesn't miss a beat. We will get the replacement parts on our next order. Keep the customer happy and they'll keep coming back! 
    My closest dealer has been excellent over the last 10 years but they have never offered to swap parts on the spot. But they normally arrive in about a week with no charges and I'm very happy with that.
    Hats off to you!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Photo Egg said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Only takes a couple minutes for you ask your local dealer. "How do you handle warranty claims? Explain your process to me."
    If they seem puzzled or tell you all claims are handled directly by BGE I would shop elsewhere. 
    You should be able to tell by their answer if they are are full of crap or a great dealer willing to help you after the sale.
    I also agree Mothership should do more.
    But understand that they normally have very little to do with the dealer. It's your area Distributor that buys from BGE who in turn sells to and supplies your local dealer.  

@Photo Egg that is excellent advice, and I wish i would have thought of that instead of dealing with the crappy dealers

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    It is enough of an issue that I plan on looking at options next time and looks like others would do the same.  

Lit Posts: 6,949
    I would get a KJ for sure over a BGE now. I’d get the Weber Summit charcoal before either. The “lifetime” warranty with the egg isn’t what it once was since they have been losing market share and obviously aren’t haven’t been keeping up with others recently. I have dealt with Weber warranty on a used Weber gasser I got like 10 years ago and they replaced pretty much the whole grill for free with very little hassle and just a serial number from the grill. The eggs “lifetime” warranty really is a hassle and pretty crappy the way they handle it through dealers. KJs warranty is much better how they ship it right to you and don’t make you wait on the dealers next shipment.  
     Flag  Quote ·  Off Topic  Disagree  1Agree  Like

Asking your dealer how they handle claims only works If you’re fortunate enough that this is your dealer. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Well this is how big green egg ships a new firebox UPS. I was wondering how they do it without it breaking. Anybody want to volunteer to open it up? Looks like a PITA.
    NW IOWA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @Philly35 that's how mine came too. Yes it is a PITA but they put it in a bag at least so it's not covered in foam.
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    BGE HQ is the worst support I've ever had. Sent emails and left messages for the two employees and I've not received a call back. Yes l could to a dealer but why can't I go directly to BGE. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    510BG said:
    BGE HQ is the worst support I've ever had. Sent emails and left messages for the two employees and I've not received a call back. Yes l could to a dealer but why can't I go directly to BGE. 
    When is the last time you contacted an automobile manufacturer to handle a warranty claim rather than an authorized dealer?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 510BG
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
    When is the last time you contacted an automobile manufacturer to handle a warranty claim rather than an authorized dealer?
     Last week 
  • DMW
    510BG said:
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
     Last week 
    Interesting, Tesla?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Philly35 said:
    Well I’ve been having a hell of a time getting a new firebox. The local dealer is a good dude but the local rep is a PITA. Always has an excuse as to why it hasn’t shipped with the next order. I’ve been trying since early February. Well I emailed the BGE warranty center at headquarters last week and it’s been 9 days since I sent that email. No response. I gave up. Said screw it I’ll go get some high temp silicone to fix it. So much for the lifetime warranty. Well Bruce emailed me back today. Asked for my address and a new firebox is on its way. They’re covering the shipping. No charge to me. It’s about time! Thank you BGE. 
    Just quoting because WTF good is a warranty if its based on what a dealer does/does not order?  That's not a warranty and needs to be stated up front that "Warranty service is based off BS and Unicorn tears".
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    3 plus months here. And counting. The next one will be red. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • 510BG
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
     Last week 
    Interesting, Tesla?
    Ford 
  • DMW
    510BG said:
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
    DMW said:
    510BG said:
     Last week 
    Interesting, Tesla?
    Ford 
    Wow, would not have thought.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I've done warranties with BGE, and it has been quick sometimes, and others it has been slow.  I have done it with the mothership, and with two different dealers.  I currently have a cracked large base, and firebox that I am waiting on with my dealer.  She told me it will be in at the end of next month.  That's 2 months since making the claim. And it doesn't bother me too much.  I can use the egg in the mean time, and that makes it ok by me.  I just have to put the firebox back together after cleaning.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Jeremiah said:
    Anyone having trouble with a warranty needs to email Bruce directly. 
    NW IOWA
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    My fire box just took a dump....called my dealer, and he is holding me hostage for my receipt right now......I also have lost the email from when I originally registered it, so a lot of this is on me.....I am hoping to check one more place at home for the receipt where I think I may have put it so I can get it handled easier than what it is going to be without the things I was supposed to keep!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Jeremiah said:

I've been somewhat keeping track of your dilemma. You are in Aiken, SC correct? Isn't that only about a 2.5hr drive to Atlanta. If I had been waiting that long. I would take a Friday off work, Spend a 3 day weekend in Atlanta and drive my broken pieces to their headquarters with all my correspondence and tell them to replace it that day.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2018
    Jeremiah said:

I've been somewhat keeping track of your dilemma. You are in Aiken, SC correct? Isn't that only about a 2.5hr drive to Atlanta. If I had been waiting that long. I would take a Friday off work, Spend a 3 day weekend in Atlanta and drive my broken pieces to their headquarters with all my correspondence and tell them to replace it that day.
    Yeah, Aiken is a sleepy little town and no one is really in a hurry. Jeremiah...If you take the above advice....get good and drunk (like the appliance store) before you go in there. Have B take some footage and post it here. Sounds like a road trip to me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My fire box just took a dump....called my dealer, and he is holding me hostage for my receipt right now......I also have lost the email from when I originally registered it, so a lot of this is on me.....I am hoping to check one more place at home for the receipt where I think I may have put it so I can get it handled easier than what it is going to be without the things I was supposed to keep!
    I know this may not be helpful for your current claim, but I scanned the receipts for my eggs when I bought them, and emailed them to myself. 

The 2 times I made a warranty claim, it took barely a minute to find the receipt,  and email to the dealer right there in the store .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    No. I shouldn’t have to email Bruce or go to Atlanta. We’re gonna let this one play out. 
  • Philly35 said:
    Bruce is a good dude. He’s taken care of me several times. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Jeremiah said:
    No. I shouldn’t have to email Bruce or go to Atlanta. We’re gonna let this one play out. 
    Will it be box wine or cheap beer?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah said:
    Will it be box wine or cheap beer?
    Bite me Clark. 
  • Related Question:

I have a broken firebox but now live an hour or so from the dealer where my egg was purchased, does one need to work with the original dealer or will any dealer do? Additionally, from your experience, what's the most efficient way to do this?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories