Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal grate

Grader07
Grader07 Posts: 264
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried the charcoal grate that is supposedly the upgrade for the egg?  It is the stainless steel grate that is about 9 inches round and replaces the cast iron grate in botttom of the egg.  It looks like it would be a good idea to help keep holes from clogging on a long smoke.  Just wondering... This whole egg thing is new to me but what i have tried so far is delicious.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's the High-Que stainless steel fire grate.  I have one and many other people have replaced their stock cast iron grates with them.  It's easier to knock ash through the grate and there's more area for air flow over the stock.  It isn't going to make your food taste better, but it does two things - helps prevent a low temp cook flame out overnight and, if you're cooking very hot, like you do with pizzas, woks or searing, it really lets a lot of air into your lump.
    That's the High-Que stainless steel fire grate.  I have one and many other people have replaced their stock cast iron grates with them.  It's easier to knock ash through the grate and there's more area for air flow over the stock.  It isn't going to make your food taste better, but it does two things - helps prevent a low temp cook flame out overnight and, if you're cooking very hot, like you do with pizzas, woks or searing, it really lets a lot of air into your lump.
    Nolaegghead) Do you have photos you could share?
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • It’s a waste IMO. I have it and the only difference is I drop half the smaller charcoal pieces straight to the bottom of the egg rather than burn them 

no improvement over a properly running oem fire grate 
  • I have one in my large and one in my small. I definitely saw improvement with mine but then again I’m not one to clean out my egg very often. I dont seem to need to using the hique. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    It’s a waste IMO. I have it and the only difference is I drop half the smaller charcoal pieces straight to the bottom of the egg rather than burn them 

no improvement over a properly running oem fire grate 
    If the little pieces that fall through are being burnt up your cleaning it out to often.  They will burn 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I have used all of the grates from the old ceramic one that came with my Egg in 1998 to this Hi Q thing. After a few cooks with the Hi Q I went back to the cast iron grate. It's twisted and cracked but it works just fine for me.

I might try combining two of the Hi Q grates at 90° to one another to get a tighter grid but, all I'll end up doing is wasting $$.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2018
    If you want to try it, cheap, buy a Weber charcoal grate for a 14" smokey joe ($7, Weber p/n 7439). 

Fits a large egg perfectly. I bought a High Que stainless after trying the Weber for a while, but the Weber is still in my egg. The mild steel sags after a bit, but if you flip it over, it lasts a while longer. Then flip it again. Or skip the flip and just let it sag. Weber has been using these forever and they seem to be doing well. =) I assume the stainless HQ will last longer. Will find out when my Weber grate finally fails.

And yes, the small bits still burn, even if they fall through.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I skipped the High Que replacement grate for the Kick Ash. None of this stuff is a "need" but I like the KA basket. Just lift out the basket and give a little shake and the loose ash drops out. Set it back in the Egg and top with fresh lump over the top of the old lump and fire it up for the next cook.
    https://www.kickashbasket.com

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas