Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New method for steaks

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve been using the reverse sear method almost religiously for steaks on my egg since getting it 2 years ago. While this method has always worked great for me I’m debating about trying a different method for good results with possibly less time involved. I’ve done the Green Egg website’s 600°+ sear on both sides and shut down method. That produced the perfect amount of doneness but with some extra smoke flavor.

Lately I’ve been doing some tailgating with my Jumbo Joe, using higher end Weber briquettes which put out so much heat the handle gets smokin hot on the lid. I’ve churned our some real good steaks on this little grill cooking with the lid off for 5-7 minutes a side and then maybe a few more with the lid on. I’m wondering if this could be simulated on the egg with the grate at fire ring height and the temp around 450-500?

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Before I started doing reverse sears I would just cook them on the egg with bottom vent closed and lid open the whole time at around 500-600 degrees. This prevented flareups and I found the results to be excellent. In the final minute or so I would close the lid to get a little smoke. The main reason that I have been doing reverse sears lately is because people speak so highly of it on here. For reverse sear honestly other than more uniform pink throughout which I don't care about unless im taking pictures of my food I notice no difference in the end result flavorwise. I usually cook my steaks to no more than medium.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    IMO the reverse sear works best on thicker cuts.  
    Near San Francisco in California
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I started an "open dome grilling" thread a few weeks back and it seems the general consensus was split between "It's not a kettle, adapt to the egg" and "Close the vent and keep the lid open". 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I think the bottom line is theory vs. actual real-world experience.  In other words, what matters is whether YOU like the end result of different approaches.  It's worth trying different ways to see what you like best.

The two things that suggest that I, myself, wouldn't like the shut down and dwell method are (a) I've read people convincingly (to me) claiming that doing that produces a different kind of smoke than that of an actively burning fire, a bad tasting smoke from a choked fire, and (b) that this approach is more likely to lead to a layer of gray, overcooked meat on the outside.

For me, getting rid of as much as possible of that gray layer of dry, overcooked beef isn't just appearance for a picture, it has everything to do with taste and texture.  For me, gray beef is dry and tastes kind of liver-ey.  It's just unpleasant.  I like steaks darkly seared on the outside but as uniformly pink as possible on the inside, because that gives me the best texture and the best flavor, at least for my own taste.  

Trying it the way you describe involves a less hot sear, which means searing it will take longer, so it will cook (to gray) a thicker layer of meat, plus the non-sear, lower temp cook will be at a higher temp than the low-and-slow part of a reverse sear, so again, it seems inevitable to me that there will be a thicker layer of gray steak.

But again the bottom line really is whether YOU like what you're cooking or  not.  So by all means, try different approaches and do what works for you!!!
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Reverse sear is really hard to beat.... I've been really pleased with the Egg and its searing ability, even if I'm forced to keep the lid closed. Took me a while to just accept it and stop trying to turn it into a kettle. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I’m wondering if this could be simulated on the egg with the grate at fire ring height and the temp around 450-500?

I cook steaks pretty close to this all the time. Lid open, vent open 1 1/2 - 2 mins per side. Lid closed, vent open 10 mins total cook time. And plenty of flipping during that last 6-7 mins after the lid has been closed. 

On my mini max these times are reduced due to the proximity of the grid to the charcoal. 

Give it a shot. If it sucks go back to what works for your household...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Umm, you have a jumbo joe and you're happy with the result. Problem solved.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powak
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Trying it the way you describe involves a less hot sear, which means searing it will take longer, so it will cook (to gray) a thicker layer of meat, plus the non-sear, lower temp cook will be at a higher temp than the low-and-slow part of a reverse sear, so again, it seems inevitable to me that there will be a thicker layer of gray.
    Wow that’s a good point. Takes me back to my early days of grilling on kettles with cheap Kingsford, where steaks were either gray or black boot leather. I do not like grey meat at all. Reminds of steaks off gassers as well. I credit my recent positive experiences with the Jumbo Joe to using better coal, the Joe’s grate is much closer to the coals than a regular kettle and letting the steaks sit on the counter for 45 minutes of so before going on the grill. But for consistency it seems like reverse sear on the egg turns out the best steaks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Powak- reverse sear that closes with the caveman finish is the way to bring it home  ;)  (I may be biased here.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A good dry brine on the counter for an hour or so.  Cook hot as hell 90sec rotate. 90sec. Flip.  Repeat. 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Powak- reverse sear that closes with the caveman finish is the way to bring it home  ;)  (I may be biased here.)
    @lousubcap i'm gonna bust out a caveman soon! My wife has begged me not to do it...i have never seen anybody so set in their ways with regards to food. I probably won't even tell her how i did the cook...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm a simple man and do a simple steak but the results have my lovely bride of 30 years telling me that we eat better at home than going out to any restaurant.

Here's my steak recipe:

Heat a cast iron surface (skillet, griddle, pizza round, etc...) to about 500 degrees surface temp (check using your infrared temperature probe).

Pack your meat in paper towels so that they are DRY on the surface as the cast iron heats up.

When your cast iron is heated sufficiently, sprinkle your favorite salt (I use pink Himalayan salt) on the cast iron surface and lay your steak on that salted surface.

Every two-four minutes or so, flip your steak. Use your Thermopen to read the IT of your steak. When your steak hits your target, remove the steak to your cutting board to rest.

Rest your steak 10 +/- minutes, cut, and serve.

With this method, you will equal, or surpass, the reverse sear method. Your choice, I'm not an advocate of one or the other. This is just another great method.

I've even seared 100% lean chicken breasts using this method in my cast iron and they've not stuck to the cast iron and they've seared perfectly.

The secret with cast iron it to heat is up sufficiently and add surface dried meat to it.

(note to the wise: you can tell a **** blogger by their mention/advice that cast iron heats up evenly - it does not. I've got videos that a cast iron skillet heated to 400+ degrees surface temp will also read a 300 degree surface temp at another location in the same 12 inch skillet)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @gonepostal - you may want to give it a run with you as the solo judge just in case.  BTW- if that's not an option then either finish just before she gets home or give it the name of her favorite steak cook process and she will be wowed  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Powak
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap i'm gonna bust out a caveman soon! My wife has begged me not to do it...i have never seen anybody so set in their ways with regards to food. I probably won't even tell her how i did the cook...
    Man I gotta try caveman! And probably with some cheap steaks the first time. Bout how hot do get the egg up to before throwing em down and for about how long each side?
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I've yet to see a pic of a Caveman steak with a good sear. Someone post a shot that isn't splotchy grey with random burnt spots and prove me wrong.  =)
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    My go to  works for me... on thick steaks I take them out of fridge for at least an hour before putting on egg... I go raised direct at about 500 and flip two or three times and pull at 130 internal... very simple process and always works.. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My go to  works for me... on thick steaks I take them out of fridge for at least an hour before putting on egg... I go raised direct at about 500 and flip two or three times and pull at 130 internal... very simple process and always works.. 

That works for me too, yet I go straight from the fridge. A cold center helps buy you additional searing time if needed. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I've yet to see a pic of a Caveman steak with a good sear. Someone post a shot that isn't splotchy grey with random burnt spots and prove me wrong.  =)
    I want to try Caveman... however my SWMBO would have to be nowhere in sight.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I personally think it's more performance art than functional, but I've been wrong before... most of the time in fact. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’m really missing backinthebluegrass   He would have loved this thread.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    How’s how’s this?

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    How’s how’s this?

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It pains me to say this, but I would eat that... with a nice bold Pinot. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SonVolt - I don't save pics (and any I take are of poor quality) but with a good bed of glowing hot lump you get the char every time.  You should try it once and then you will have your own data point.  The lump is burning in the 1200-1300*F range.  
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    It pains me to say this, but I would eat that... with a nice bold Pinot. 
    Burgundy.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Powak
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Rocked out the good ole reverse sear tonight on some ribeyes. This time I let egg get up to 700+ For the sear. Came out perfect. No gray. Weber’s going back in the attic.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    For me the beef cut and thickness dictate the cooking method. A thin cut ribeye isn't going to get reverse seared. Just as a thickcut tomahawk isn't gonna get T-Rex'd.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Anne likes her steak well done (slightly pink is OK, not bloody). Reverse sear allows me to get that done without the bootleather grey meat, but still charred on the outside. I like my steak rare, so it depends on the thickness of the meat. I still use RS for a thick steak, but straight to sear for a couple of minutes works well for a thinner piece of meat. RS is hard to beat for thick cuts / more done meat.
  • Powak
    Options
    Oh yeah something I noticed while finishing up my steaks, I gave em some blazing 700+ searing about 2 minutes a side or so, turning 90° halfway thru each sides cook, and they looked perfect so I pulled em one at a time, threw the Thermapen in and was getting temps in the high 150s to mid 160s range and thought “sh*t, I’ve got well-done steaks here” but as soon as brought them in and let them rest and then cut in they were the perfect medium. What causes that phenomenon with the temps to read so high straight off the grill but the meats not that far in the cooking process?