Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Health food

Options
looking for tips on healthier recipes to cook on the egg. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Little things can make a huge difference.  I never really liked most breads, sweets or soda, so that was easy to let go of.  I eat my burgers with a lettuce bun and I actually like it better. We will grill up some skinless chicken thighs for lunches along with a boiled egg.  Trying to keep the protein up.  I cut down a LITTLE bit on the beer (which was somewhat harder).  In any case with a little walk in the morning or afternoon I went from 212 to 189.  Smoked turkey breast is also a fun cook for me.  I still probably eat too much pork, but we were raised on Lexington NC style BBQ, in fact I suspect if you tested my blood it would be at least 50% vinegar  based sause.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
     Veggies.  Especially Brussels Sprouts in cast iron with some garlic and balsamic.  Or dried cherries.  

Also asparagus 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi, Harvey. Welcome!

The egg is an oven/stovetop and aside from better grilled flavor, nothing more. You can use either to cook healthy food or unhealthy food. It's the ingredients, not the cooker. Watch the salt, the calories the sat fat... and the portion size regardless of what cooker you use.

Tonight, I'm about to enjoy an egged chicken quarter, sautéed asparagus, sliced tomato and cucumber with balsamic and evoo.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    All kinds of seafood from fish to oysters.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Salmon/fish, skinless chicken breasts, flank steak or other lean beef, veggies

sweet potato side spinach salad side with healthy dressing 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Ratatouille in a cast iron skillet is really good.  Roasted head of cauliflower with some unique spices.  Leaner cuts of protein - eye of round, BLSL breasts, pork loin, fish. Dang near any veg that grills - brussel sprouts, asparagus, peppers, romaine, onions, etc... 

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I don't subscribe to any diet as I eat around 90+% protein ( I think there is a name for that besides BGE groceries) and not many carbs (other than lots of beer), steer clear of any veggies (okay, oysters Rockefeller once a month) and thoroughly enjoy life.
    Not sure the value of the above, but healthier is clearly in the stomach and genetics of the beholder.  Good luck as there are many cooks that will likely fit your desires.  You just wouldn't buy them from me.  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Salmon, shrimps and tuna steaks are favorites here.  Also fire roasted salsas go great on just about everything. They are a great way to add a punch of flavor without adding a bunch of calories. A wok and spider are also great eggcessories to have for healthy cooking. 

@NecessaryIndulg  ‘s Green Lightening Shrimp are awesome. 

One of my favorite Raichlen cookbooks is “Bold and Healthy Flavors.”  He has a fire roasted salsa verde recipe in there that is easy and really good. We make it a lot.  Also a great mesquite fire roasted salsa that is very good, especially on tuna. If you google his salsa recipes, you can’t go wrong with any of them. Raichlen gets a bad rap on here for having “used” some of @Griffin ‘s pix and some of my pix in the past, but he does have some really great recipes in his grilling books. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    It also helps to stay on track with the diet when you have “fun” nights where you try cooking things you’ve never thought about using.  Found an online recipe for plantain tortillas once and made these from scratch. 

http://tasty-yummies.com/how-to-make-plantain-tortillas/

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Healthy is often a portion control thing. For instance, my wife really likes yogurt, eats  a lot every day for breakfast. Turns out she is getting problematic high levels of potassium in her blood, and so has to cut back on the yogurt. I really like spinach salads, turns out those are high in potassium.

Most of what one would cook on the egg is not terribly hazardous. The worst stuff out there are transfats, but those are almost always found in pre-made pastries and sweets, or deep fried food.

As mentioned above, adding flavor can really help give one a satisfied feeling w/o eating a ton of food.