Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first overnighter

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
Have a family gathering to begin at 1:00 today.  I offered to bring pork shoulder.  Got the fire going last night around 10, put 2 shoulders on at mignight.  Stayed up till 2, monitoring to make sure the Egg was settling in at the right temperature.  Hickory, cherry, and apple wood; homemade rub and drip pan; injected with apple juice.

Wife got up at 6 a.m. to get in a long run (she’s done maybe 20 marathons, including 7 Bostons).  I needed more sack time so I asked her to take a look at the Egg and text the temp to me.  Got the text...120 - “crap!”  I sprang out of bed, checked the Egg - 120...centigrade!  Ugh!  Gave the dear wife a brief lesson in thermometer reading, then back to bed.

Pulled them off at 11:00, at 195 - FTC.

Might as as well toss this out too.  Had a great day, Friday, on my cousin’s fishing boat.  We caught the limit for rockfish (striped bass for most of you).  Had a great day on the upper Bay.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Striped bass on caramelized onions? Nice.

Butts look great too.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Looks like a great cook and day on the boat.
    Not sure how diplomatic you were with the thermo reading lesson but "all's well that ends well."  
    Enjoy the gathering.  They will be eating well.  
    Edit:  for your next overnight cook, you should consider firing up the BGE 3-4 hours before you want to land the protein to make sure it is stable going in.  Then you can minimize the supervising after.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Good looking cooks, my friend

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wife got up at 6 a.m. to get in a long run (she’s done maybe 20 marathons, including 7 Boston’s).  I needed more sack time so I asked to take a look at the Egg and text the temp to me.  Got the text...120 - “crap!”  I sprang out of bed, checked the Egg - 120...centigrade!  Ugh!  Gave the dear wife a brief lesson in thermometer reading, then back to bed.
    Impressed with wife's running! And thanks to Kathrine Switzer. =)

LOL'd at °C!

Nice post!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Excellent overnighter and some great angling as well. Love fresh Rockfish. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow, the pork looks great, the fish looks great, the great time with friends on the ocean on a beautiful day looked best of all.  Fantastic!
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, the fishing was the best!  Great memories made that day.  3 uncles, 2 cousins, and a brother.  I’m the one in the orange hat.

@Carolina Q I didn’t know Kathrine Switzer’s story - do now - thanks.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    The Rockfish looks awesome.  Love it.  
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • JohnEggGio
    edited July 2018
    Options
    FTC worked great.  Pulled the first one around 2 - it had been in foil 3 hours.  It was very hot, moist and tender.  There was a lot of food (including steamed crabs), so we never got to the second shoulder.  Unwrapped it when I got home, to fix a sandwich - it was still 120+ after 10 hours in FTC.  Still had great moisture and texture.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Rockfish for me lol.   Love them, so amazing!  Congrats