Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware SS chimney mod

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Has anyone drilled out the base of their Smokeware chimney and installed a thumbscrew or two or three to keep it from spinning? It’s probably not a big deal but I’ve even removed and installed the felt lower to make a tighter fit and even then after the SS base heats up and expands, it spins all around.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Hmm... I've never had that problem.

My base is so tight, I had to use a rubber mallet to get it to sit all the way down 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    I have not had a problem with mine like that.. I just did a 500+ cook and no spin.. My felt it about 1/4-1/2 inch below the lip of the vent.. the cap was a tight fit when I installed it. Hope you get it working. I love mine.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Options
    Mine is super tight as well, maybe you have the wrong size?
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Many eggers here have newer eggs since BGE started putting a gasket there on the throat. My older eggs didn't have that gasket piece. BUT even without that gasket I am surprised that your SmokeWare top still spins - say even after just 3 cooks. BTW are you cleaning your SmokeWare after every use?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’m terrible about cleaning my cap. Usually end up having more friction between the two Smokeware pieces than between the felt and the cap. 

I replaced the gasket once but cleaning the cap is the answer. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    I too had to use a rubber mallet to get it all the way down. 

And... wash it after every use????  God no. I wash it maybe once a season. 
  • Powak
    Options
    RRP said:
    Many eggers here have newer eggs since BGE started putting a gasket there on the throat. My older eggs didn't have that gasket piece. BUT even without that gasket I am surprised that your SmokeWare top still spins - say even after just 3 cooks. BTW are you cleaning your SmokeWare after every use?
    My egg’s an early 2016. I haven’t cleaned my cap but even without the top piece on the base spins all around. Where is the thickest point on the throat so if I put new felt on i can get a tight fit?
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Powak the further down toward the dome you put your gasket the more friction you are going to get. (Further down than the original BGE felt.)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Mine's snug.  Like others, I wonder if it's correct size.  Nothing special here, just the cap and a gasket.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Powak
    Options
    @Powak the further down toward the dome you put your gasket the more friction you are going to get. (Further down than the original BGE felt.)
    Yeah I’ve gotta install a new felt a little lower. Mines about 1/2” down from the top.