Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving

2»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Read fine print of the insurance. My dad moved from Iowa to NC and they shattered the base, ring and firebox.  They insurance was by the pound and he received a check for $57 to replace the egg. Total Bullshirt if you ask me but it seems to be common place. I would pack yourself or carry in your own vehicle. 
    You just have to declare those items as high value and it’s covered. No different that moving artwork, collectibles, etc. 
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    We are in the process of a move right now, it’s only a 1.5 hour drive from our current location but I took a new job that puts us in a much smaller community where we want to raise the kiddos.  

Anyway we have hired a moving moving company but I am going to move the egg myself since I have a pickup.  I was going to surround it with padding and ratchet strap it to the corner of my truck box.  Obviously strapping it to the point where it won’t move.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    Moot point now. Staying in Indiana. Complicated, but for the best. Did a flat earlier today for a lunch tomorrow, and have a pork loin roast on right now for dinner. Smoked protein makes things right. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Last cook tonight at our first house where we had our first child, got our egg, etc etc.  we moved the egg out of the table and down from the deck into nest on the lower patio.   Will be loading up later this week to make the move.   

Picture fail- I made a cast iron pan pizza for the first time, but only got a before picture.  I think it turned out well, crispy bottom with fluffy center to the crust. 

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • I'd ask the moving company. They usually have some sort of setup or other thing they can do to make sure everything gets there intact. They might even be able to crate it or something if you're concerned about damages. I used a company called A1 Auto Transport when I moved and they were able to secure it in the truck with some packing materials around it to make sure nothing happened during the trip. The longer the move, the more likely something might happen so keep that in mind. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Old thread revival but it looks like @johnincarolina and @Ricks Tropical Delight carry their eggs the same way and sane vehicle.  Inquiring minds. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/428877/egg-transport

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I’ll go ahead and mark you down with the “moving sucks” crowd........cus moving does just suck. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    We decided not to make the move. My LBGE remains safely on my deck.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    """If you're going to keep the firebox and firering inside, just put cardboard between all the mating surfaces and it will be fine.  BGE ships them all over the world and rarely do they ever get broken in transit"""
    I have moved my Larges from Texas to Seaside, FL lots of times this way in the back of a pu on vacation. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Baccoulesty
    Baccoulesty Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Read fine print of the insurance. My dad moved from Iowa to NC and they shattered the base, ring and firebox.  They insurance was by the pound and he received a check for $57 to replace the egg. Total Bullshirt if you ask me but it seems to be common place. I would pack yourself or carry in your own vehicle. 
    You just have to declare those items as high value and it’s covered. No different that moving artwork, collectibles, etc. 
    DoubleEgger, good suggestion. Especially for a long distance move. I'd check with the moving company though to make sure the Egg can qualify.