Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA RE temp controllers

Options
Guru reading high tonight and i just calibrated dome thermo.  Thought electronic malfunction and then decided to bust out a probe wire that was new, never used before
Problem solved.

So if anyone out there gets weird readings on guru...three dashed lines, then high temp alert with some crazy high number and then a reading that is close to what your dial says, dont be a cheap @ss like me..try changing the probe wire first.

Comments

• GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    It can get worse. I had a rib roast that I had dry aged for about 45 days. I then invited my son, daughter, and brother over for a great meal.

I cooked the roast on my BGE and since I did not want to ruin anything, I used my Stoker to keep the temperature of the egg low and even. I also used a probe from the Stoker to monitor the temperature of the roast.

Turns out, the probe for the egg temperature was fine (that is the one I could check using the dome thermometer), but the meat probe was off even though it read fine on the Stoker.

When I finally went to cut the roast for dinner, it was leather. Instead of cooking to 125°, I had cooked the roast to 195°. Needless to say, I was embarrassed that dinner.

The next day I took the probe apart, cleaned it, and retested it. It seems fine since, but I never trust it alone and always use a second thermometer to verify the readings.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Yikes. Thats an expensive lesson.   I agree that redundant checks are super valuable
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a DigiQ 2, but rarely use it any more (Turbo rules!). Even when I did use it, it was just for LONG cooks like the occasional butt cook. For relatively short cooks, like @GatoGordo's, the egg will easily hold temp for the duration. As long as the dome thermo is calibrated, I know dome temp. And I know about how long most given cooks should take so I just walk outside from time to time with my T-Pen. 

Too bad about the overcooked rib roast though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut