Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib nest

Options
I went to light my XL today and noticed my gasket was peeling away from the lid so I put 3 racks of ribs on the MM and had to make a bun so they would fit lets see how they come out

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @mic2013 Way to adapt and overcome! Standing by for the results!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is awesome. Please report back how they are. I have never bothered trying to cook ribs on my small but this give me hope. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Epic! Standing by for the finish.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Good luck. Don't see the platesetter used legs down very often with a low and slow cook. You get very little air flow through your ribs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    sancho65 when life throughs you lemons!!
    SmokeyPitt ive done single and double racks on a MM before but never 3 they did not give me the bark I wanted on the ribs that were inside the nest but the smoke ring was there and the tooth pick test was good.
    Photo Egg Im using a kick ash basket and I had to much lump in to put the plate setter in legs down as I was planning on doing a swatch chicken on high indirect and noticed the gasket problem after the MM was set up so didnt want to change it just made it work

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Today was one for those days. I order 3 bags of RW from Ace last week and they were suppose to be in by last Friday but no luck the store said by Tuesday (yesterday) for sure, so i went there today and no RW so I had to settle for Cowboy (I have never used before). With that said i was ready to get the cook started then I noticed the gasket problem which changed the dynamic of my cook. Chicken and sausage went into the oven and ribs on the grill turbo 350. The ribs came out with a lot less bark then i would like so thanks to @Possumtrot I had the perfect sauce to cover that up. I decided to cut all the ribs to get a better sauce to rib consistency and lathered them with Loveless Cafe Blackberry and then put them in a ½ tray back on the MM to darken up then Ill FTC for transportation to the party. I hope they'll taste as good as the smell with that that sauce. 
    Long Island NY    
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    That’s the most creative man-bun I’ve seen.  I’m sure the ribs will be just fine. Alcohol makes up for a lot. 
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• mlc2013
    Options
    Ribs had great flavor and were real juicy all loved them and after saucing you could not see that the bark was missing so I’m happy. Happy 4th everyone hope you are having a great day
    Long Island NY    
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Congrats on a very clever technique.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Way to make it work, looks like they turned out fantastic!
  • mlc2013
    Options
    OhioEgger thank you 
    CigarCityEgger they did thank you 
    Long Island NY    
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice thinking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great audible right there.  Congrats on the ingenuity and the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Way to adapt and overcome.   Looks like a great meal there.

That being said, there is no reason your XL wouldn't have cooked just fine.  Many on here cook with burnt gaskets or even gasketless. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mlc2013
    Options
    johnnyp I wasn't sure so didnt want to use it after reading about gaskets on the forum I see I could have just kept with the original game plan. Live and learn
    Long Island NY